Thursday, May 21, 2026
34.1 C
New Delhi

Karnataka Cabinet Approves Internal Reservation Among Scheduled Castes, Divides 101 Castes Into 3 Groups

Bengaluru, Aug 20 (PTI) The Karnataka Cabinet has decided to provide internal reservation among Scheduled Castes by categorising 101 castes among them into three categories, official sources said. In a special meeting on Tuesday, the cabinet discussed the recommendations of the Justice H N Nagmohan Das Commission report, aimed at providing internal reservation among Scheduled Castes (SCs).

The commission had submitted its 1,766-page report to Chief Minister Siddaramaiah on August 4, and it was placed before the cabinet on August 7.

The internal reservation is aimed at slicing up the 17 per cent reservation matrix given to 101 scheduled castes.

According to sources, the cabinet decided to accept the Justice Nagamohan Das Commission’s report, but made some alterations.

Of the 17 per cent reservation that SCs have in the state, as per the internal reservation formula evolved by the cabinet, the SC (Right) and SC (Left) will get 6 per cent each, while the ‘touchable’ Dalit communities (Lambani, Bhovi, Korma and Korcha) and most backward and nomadic communities got 5 per cent quota.

The commission had reportedly made recommendation for internal reservation in five categories — ‘most backward’ communities (group A)- 1 per cent; SC (Left)/Madiga community (group B) 6 per cent; SC (Right)/ Holeya (group C) 5 per cent; ‘touchable’ communities (group D) 4 per cent, and Adi Karnataka, Adi Dravida and Adi Andhra communities (group E) 1 per cent.

The commission’s report was not officially made public.

Speaking to reporters, Law and Parliamentary Affairs Minister H K Patil said the cabinet meeting had been “fruitful” and ministers representing all SC communities are satisfied.

“The cabinet meeting went on for about two-and-a-half hours. All of us have come out of the cabinet hall happy and satisfied. The state legislature is in session, and there is no scope for revealing details. The chief minister will make a statement on behalf of the government on the floor of the House tomorrow,” he said.

However, Minister for Backwards Class Development Shivaraj Tangadagi confirmed that internal reservation has been decided upon by making three groups among SCs — right, left and others. He termed the cabinet decision “historical”.

“Reservations provided for these three categories are six, six and five per cent, respectively. After a detailed discussion, we all accepted it.

“The most backwards communities categorised under group A by the commission, have been added to the group of ‘Touchable’ Dalits (Bhovi, Banjara, Korma and Korcha). While group E of the commission have been added to group B and C,” he added.

According to sources, most backwards and nomadic communities are apparently not happy with the decision.

The government, in November last year, set up the Justice Nagmohan Das commission to recommend internal reservation among SCs by gathering empirical data.

This came after the Supreme Court last year allowed states to provide internal reservation, and the Karnataka Cabinet agreed to implement internal reservation.

In a landmark verdict delivered by the Supreme Court on August 1 last year, it held that states are constitutionally empowered to make sub-classifications within the SCs, which form a socially heterogeneous class, for granting reservation for the uplift of castes that are socially and educationally more backward. PTI KSU KH

(This report has been published as part of the auto-generated syndicate wire feed. Apart from the headline, no editing has been done in the copy by ABP Live.)

Go to Source

Hot this week

Ronaldo breaks down in tears as Al Nassr win first league title of his Saudi career – WATCH

Cristiano Ronaldo scored twice as Al Nassr defeated Damac 4-1 to win the Saudi Pro League title. Emotional scenes unfolded after the match as Ronaldo was seen crying after winning his first league crown in Saudi Arabia. Read More

Judge orders ChudTheBuilder to wear GPS monitor and restrict social media use if released on bond

Image Via X Controversial streamer Dalton Eatherly is facing strict new bond conditions after a judge set rules for his possible release from custody. The decision follows serious charges linked to a courthouse shooting incident. Read More

Iran Says Trump’s Ceasefire Push May Have Been ‘Tactical Deception’

Iran suspects a US tactical pause before new attacks, hardens stance by refusing to export near weapons grade uranium, defying US and complicating fragile nuclear talks. Read More

Angry crowd sets Ebola hospital tents on fire in DR Congo

Grieving relatives and friends of a suspected Ebola victim were prevented from taking his body for burial. Read More

Russia and China condemn US over indictment of former Cuban leader

It was a federal indictment against the left-wing authoritarian Maduro that was used by the Trump administration as its justification for its raid on the Venezuelan capital, Caracas, to seize him and his wife, Cilia Flores. Read More

Topics

Ronaldo breaks down in tears as Al Nassr win first league title of his Saudi career – WATCH

Cristiano Ronaldo scored twice as Al Nassr defeated Damac 4-1 to win the Saudi Pro League title. Emotional scenes unfolded after the match as Ronaldo was seen crying after winning his first league crown in Saudi Arabia. Read More

Judge orders ChudTheBuilder to wear GPS monitor and restrict social media use if released on bond

Image Via X Controversial streamer Dalton Eatherly is facing strict new bond conditions after a judge set rules for his possible release from custody. The decision follows serious charges linked to a courthouse shooting incident. Read More

Iran Says Trump’s Ceasefire Push May Have Been ‘Tactical Deception’

Iran suspects a US tactical pause before new attacks, hardens stance by refusing to export near weapons grade uranium, defying US and complicating fragile nuclear talks. Read More

Angry crowd sets Ebola hospital tents on fire in DR Congo

Grieving relatives and friends of a suspected Ebola victim were prevented from taking his body for burial. Read More

Russia and China condemn US over indictment of former Cuban leader

It was a federal indictment against the left-wing authoritarian Maduro that was used by the Trump administration as its justification for its raid on the Venezuelan capital, Caracas, to seize him and his wife, Cilia Flores. Read More

Kangana steps out wearing mangalsutra; fans ask, ‘Is she married?’

Kangana Ranaut has once again grabbed the internet’s attention after a recent video of the actress-politician surfaced online. Read More

Related Articles