Saturday, May 23, 2026
40.1 C
New Delhi

Class 9 Student Gives Birth In Karnataka Govt-Run School’s Toilet; 28-Year-Old Man Held For Sexual Assault

Yadgir (Karnataka), Aug 29 (PTI) A 17-year-old class 9 student of a government-run residential school gave birth to a baby boy in the school’s toilet, police said on Friday.

The incident occurred at around 2 pm on August 27 at a school in Shahapur taluk of the district.

The matter came to light after the girl’s classmates, who reportedly saw her in labour, alerted the school administration, police said.

According to the FIR, the girl—aged 17 years and seven months—was full-term pregnant and had been “sexually assaulted” by an unidentified person about nine months ago.

Initially, the girl, said to be under “immense stress,” refused to reveal details of the incident or the person involved. She only told authorities that she developed stomach pain while in the washroom and delivered the baby there.

Both the girl and the child were rushed to the hospital and are reported to be stable.

During the investigation, police identified the accused as a 28-year-old man. A senior officer said the girl will be counselled once she recovers and is declared fit by doctors, to ascertain what happened and whether she knew the accused.

Police also noted that the incident was not immediately reported by the school administration or even by the victim’s brother, who was informed soon after the delivery.

Based on a complaint by the District Child Protection Officer, a case was registered under the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act and relevant sections of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita against the accused.

Cases were also booked against four others—including the hostel warden, school principal, staff nurse and the victim’s brother—for failing to inform authorities about the girl’s pregnancy.

The girl had reportedly been irregular in school since the beginning of the academic year, police further said.

Meanwhile, the Karnataka Residential Educational Institutions Society (KREIS) suspended four employees of the school, including the principal and hostel warden, for alleged dereliction of duty and negligence in monitoring the students’ educational and health conditions.

(This report has been published as part of the auto-generated syndicate wire feed. Apart from the headline, no editing has been done in the copy by ABP Live.)

Go to Source

Hot this week

Djokovic explains decision to steer clear of French Open media boycott amid prize money row: ‘I’m not part of that’

Novak Djokovic opens up on his decision to opt against the players’ media boycott during the 2026 French Open tournament as ongoing Grand Slam pay dispute intensifies. Read More

PM Modi holds talks with Rubio during US Secretary’s maiden India visit

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio met Prime Minister Narendra Modi during his maiden India visit, with Quad talks, regional tensions and energy cooperation high on the agenda Go to Source Read More

Marco Rubio Holds Key Talks With PM Modi At Sewa Teerth On First Day Of India Visit

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio meets PM Narendra Modi in New Delhi on his first India visit as top US diplomat, with talks on trade, energy, QUAD and Russian oil imports. Read More

Rubio Kickstarts Process | Can Quad Be Re-Energised? | The Hard Facts With Rahul Shivshankar

As US Secretary of State Marco Rubio initiates fresh diplomatic engagement, questions are being raised over the future of the Quad alliance and its strategic relevance in the Indo-Pacific. Read More

‘Donald Trump’ Buffalo To Be Sacrificed On Eid-al-Adha Despite Viral Fame In Bangladesh

The nearly 700-kg buffalo, raised in Narayanganj, gained the nickname “Donald Trump” because of the blond tuft of hair on its forehead Go to Source Read More

Topics

Djokovic explains decision to steer clear of French Open media boycott amid prize money row: ‘I’m not part of that’

Novak Djokovic opens up on his decision to opt against the players’ media boycott during the 2026 French Open tournament as ongoing Grand Slam pay dispute intensifies. Read More

PM Modi holds talks with Rubio during US Secretary’s maiden India visit

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio met Prime Minister Narendra Modi during his maiden India visit, with Quad talks, regional tensions and energy cooperation high on the agenda Go to Source Read More

Marco Rubio Holds Key Talks With PM Modi At Sewa Teerth On First Day Of India Visit

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio meets PM Narendra Modi in New Delhi on his first India visit as top US diplomat, with talks on trade, energy, QUAD and Russian oil imports. Read More

Rubio Kickstarts Process | Can Quad Be Re-Energised? | The Hard Facts With Rahul Shivshankar

As US Secretary of State Marco Rubio initiates fresh diplomatic engagement, questions are being raised over the future of the Quad alliance and its strategic relevance in the Indo-Pacific. Read More

‘Donald Trump’ Buffalo To Be Sacrificed On Eid-al-Adha Despite Viral Fame In Bangladesh

The nearly 700-kg buffalo, raised in Narayanganj, gained the nickname “Donald Trump” because of the blond tuft of hair on its forehead Go to Source Read More

Posed As House Help, Won Trust, Then Looted: Guwahati Couple Held For Robbing Several Families

The modus operandi of the accused has triggered panic among residents. Read More

RCB Top IPL Table After 15 Years! Here’s How Many Times They’ve Finished No.1

Show Quick Read Key points generated by AI, verified by newsroom RCB finishes IPL 2026 league stage at top spot. This is first time in 15 years they topped standings. Rajat Patidar captained a balanced, consistent campaign. Read More

‘404 Democracy Not Found’: ‘Cockroach Janta Party’ Website Taken Down, Founder Calls Move ‘Dictatorial’

The “Cockroach Janta Party”, which has been making massive waves across social media, had its “iconic website” taken down by the government on Saturday, prompting founder Abhijeet Dipke to slam the move as “dictatorial Read More

Related Articles