Tuesday, May 19, 2026
33.1 C
New Delhi

Amit Shah Rejects Maoist Ceasefire Offer, Urges Surrender: ‘No Bullet Fired’

New Delhi, Sep 28 (PTI) Union Home Minister Amit Shah on Sunday rejected the ceasefire offer given by Maoists, saying if the extremists want to surrender and lay down arms, they are most welcome to do so and security forces would not fire a single bullet on them.

This is the first time that a top central government functionary has reacted to the ceasefire offer given by the Naxals about a fortnight ago.

“Recently, to spread confusion, a letter was written stating that what has happened so far has been a mistake, that a ceasefire should be declared, and that we (Naxals) want to surrender. I want to say there will be no ceasefire. If you want to surrender, there is no need for a ceasefire. Lay down your arms, not a single bullet will be fired”, Shah said.

He said if the Naxals want to surrender, a red carpet welcome awaits them with a “lucrative” rehabilitation policy.

Addressing the valedictory session of a seminar on ‘Naxal Mukt Bharat’, Shah also hit out at Left parties for extending ideological support to the Left Wing Extremism and dismissed their arguments that lack of development led to the Maoist violence.

He said it was due to the “red terror” that development could not reach many parts of the country for several decades.

“I want to tell you that there will be no ceasefire. If you want to surrender, lay down arms and not a single bullet will be fired. A red carpet welcome awaits you if you surrender,” he said.

Shah said this in response to the offer of a ceasefire given by the CPI (Maoists) following the intensified operations carried out by security forces, including Operation Black Forest along the Chhattisgarh-Telangana border, in which several top Naxals were eliminated.

The home minister said there are many people who believe that merely stopping the killings by Naxals is enough to eradicate Naxalism from India.

However, he said, this is not true as Naxalism developed in India because its ideology was nurtured by people within the society.

“Why did the Naxal problem arise, grow and develop in the country? Who provided them with ideological support? Until Indian society understands this, the idea of Naxalism and the people in society who provided ideological support, legal support, and financial support, the fight against Naxalism will not end,” he said, adding, “We must identify and understand those who continue to nurture the Naxal ideology”.

Shah asserted that the country will be free of Naxalism by March 31, 2026.

The home minister said those who hold weapons are not concerned about the tribals. Instead, they are worried about keeping alive the Leftist ideology that has already been rejected across the world.

“They wrote letters and issued press notes demanding that Operation Black Forest be immediately stopped. The CPI and CPI(M) did. Why do they need to protect them? Why don’t all these Naxal sympathiser NGOs come forward to protect the human rights of tribal victims?” he asked.

Shah said the Left parties maintain silence on Naxal violence, but when ‘Operation Black Forest’ was carried out to eliminate the Naxals, they started talking about human rights.

He also said that the Naxal violence was at its peak when the Left parties were not in power in West Bengal, but started to decline after the Left parties assumed power in the 1970s.

He said that the “Pashupati to Tirupati” was known in government documents by the name of “red corridor” and a population of about 12 crore was living under the shadow of Naxal violence.

“Approximately 10 per cent of the population at that time was suffering the brunt of Naxalism,” he said.

Paying tributes to those who lost their lives and loved ones in LWE violence since the 1960s, the home minister said when the Naxals now “chant from Pashupatinath to Tirupati, people laugh at them”.

Referring to Jammu and Kashmir, Shah said Article 370 was abolished under a well-thought-out policy against Pakistan-sponsored terrorism.

“I want to share its results. There has been a 65 per cent reduction in the deaths of security personnel, 77 per cent reduction in the deaths of civilians,” he said.

The home minister said the Panchayat elections were held in Jammu and Kashmir for the first time since independence with a record turnout.

“Once upon a time, MPs got elected with 10,000 votes because elections were boycotted. There was 99 per cent voter turnout in the district and taluka panchayat elections,” he said.

On the Northeast, Shah said since the Narendra Modi government came to power in 2014, there has been a 70 per cent reduction in casualties among security forces, an 85 per cent reduction in the casualties of civilians and so far 12 peace agreements have been signed with insurgent groups based in the region.

Over 10,000 militants in the Northeast have surrendered before authorities in the last 11 years, he said, adding the region is marching ahead with many development projects. 

(Disclaimer: This report has been published as part of the auto-generated syndicate wire feed. Apart from the headline, no editing has been done in the copy by ABP Live.)

Go to Source

Hot this week

US Senate Advances Resolution To Limit Trump’s Authority For Military Action Against Iran

US Senate advances War Powers resolution to limit Donald Trump’s military action against Iran, reflecting bipartisan concern over costs, stockpiles, and war powers limits. Read More

Italy & India: A Strategic Partnership For The Indo-Mediterranean

India’s impressive advancements in space exploration and satellite tech, together with Italy’s aerospace engineering excellence, offer significant opportunities for joint initiatives and next-gen technology development. Read More

Big B shares cryptic post amid hospitalisation buzz

Amid speculation surrounding his health and alleged hospital visit, Bollywood Megastar Amitabh Bachchan took to his social media handles to share his cryptic comments. Read More

When Kabir Bedi recalled childhood friendship with Rajiv Gandhi

Veteran actor Kabir Bedi had once opened up about his close bond with the Gandhi family and shared fond memories of growing up alongside former Prime Ministers Rajiv Gandhi and Sanjay Gandhi. Read More

Iran could trigger ‘nuclear arms race’ in Gulf: Vance

Washington, May 20 (PTI): US Vice President J D Vance has said Iran having an atomic weapon would trigger a “nuclear arms race” worldwide and asserted that the US was “locked and loaded” to restart military operations if Tehran failed to reach a pea Read More

Topics

US Senate Advances Resolution To Limit Trump’s Authority For Military Action Against Iran

US Senate advances War Powers resolution to limit Donald Trump’s military action against Iran, reflecting bipartisan concern over costs, stockpiles, and war powers limits. Read More

Italy & India: A Strategic Partnership For The Indo-Mediterranean

India’s impressive advancements in space exploration and satellite tech, together with Italy’s aerospace engineering excellence, offer significant opportunities for joint initiatives and next-gen technology development. Read More

Big B shares cryptic post amid hospitalisation buzz

Amid speculation surrounding his health and alleged hospital visit, Bollywood Megastar Amitabh Bachchan took to his social media handles to share his cryptic comments. Read More

When Kabir Bedi recalled childhood friendship with Rajiv Gandhi

Veteran actor Kabir Bedi had once opened up about his close bond with the Gandhi family and shared fond memories of growing up alongside former Prime Ministers Rajiv Gandhi and Sanjay Gandhi. Read More

Iran could trigger ‘nuclear arms race’ in Gulf: Vance

Washington, May 20 (PTI): US Vice President J D Vance has said Iran having an atomic weapon would trigger a “nuclear arms race” worldwide and asserted that the US was “locked and loaded” to restart military operations if Tehran failed to reach a pea Read More

QTCinderella lands CAA representation amid growing mainstream success

Image Via Instagram QTCinderella has recently signed an impressive contract with the Creative Artists Agency. The firm operates as one of the largest talent agencies that offer services to celebrities. Read More

Punjabi singer shot in car, body found in canal

. LUDHIANA: Punjabi singer Yashinder Kaur aka Inder Kaur, 29, was found murdered in Ludhiana Tuesday, six days after she was allegedly kidnapped at gunpoint, reports Payal Dhawan. Read More

Salman warns paps after hospital incident: ‘Ladna nahi bhoola’

After losing his cool and scolding photographers outside Mumbai’s Hinduja Hospital, superstar Salman Khan has now shared a strong reaction on social media, questioning the behaviour of paparazzi outside hospitals. Read More

Related Articles