Tuesday, May 19, 2026
44.1 C
New Delhi

After 36 Years, CBI Arrests Man In The Kidnapping Case Of Mufti Sayeed’s Daughter Rubaiya

Show Quick Read

Key points generated by AI, verified by newsroom

After 36 years, a man allegedly linked to the sensational 1989 kidnapping of Rubaiya Sayeed, daughter of then Union Home Minister Mufti Mohammed Sayeed, has been arrested, the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) announced on Monday, December 1. The accused, identified as Shafat Ahmed Shangloo, was allegedly part of a conspiracy involving members of the banned terror group Jammu & Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF), led by Yasin Malik. According to officials, Shafat was allegedly an office-bearer of the outfit and handled its finances. The arrest has revived one of India’s most high-profile terror cases.

The CBI said the man has been identified as Shafat Ahmed Shangloo. He allegedly played a role in the conspiracy behind the 1989 abduction of Rubaiya Sayeed.

Accused Carried A Reward Of Rs 10 lakh

Officials said Shafat carried a reward of Rs 10 lakh. He was arrested by the CBI and Jammu and Kashmir Police from his residence in the Nishat area of Srinagar after following due legal procedure. He was allegedly associated with the banned Jammu & Kashmir Liberation Front, led by Yasin Malik, who is currently in Delhi’s Tihar Jail in a terror financing case. Malik has been appearing in court hearings through video-conferencing.

Rubaiya Identified Several Accused

During hearings, Rubaiya Sayeed identified Yasin Malik and four other accused as being involved in her kidnapping. She was abducted near Lal Ded Hospital in Srinagar on December 8, 1989, and released five days later after the VP Singh government freed five terrorists in exchange. Rubaiyya Sayeed, now living in Tamil Nadu, is listed as a prosecution witness by the CBI, which took over the case in early 1990.

Charges Already Framed In The case

Malik, 56, was sentenced by a special NIA court in May last year. He was arrested in early 2019 in connection with a 2017 terror financing case. A special court has already framed charges against Malik and nine others in the kidnapping case.

Go to Source

Hot this week

Who were Cain Clark and Caleb Vazquez? San Diego mosque shooter’s mother called police hours before attack

Cain Clark and Caleb Velasquez, teen shooters of San Diego mosque, died from self-inflicted wounds. Read More

As Ukraine gains ground, Russia launches massive nuclear drills ahead of Putin’s China visit

The drills come as Xi is all set to welcome Putin in Beijing, amid deepening military and strategic cooperation between the two countries. Read More

‘Send Trump and Netanyahu to hell’: Iran weighs $58 million bounty bill targeting the two leaders

The proposed legislation would earmark 50 million euros (around $58 million) for individuals or organisations involved in targeting the two leaders, according to a report Go to Source Read More

Oscar-Nominated Iranian Filmmaker Jafar Panahi To Face Trial On ‘Propaganda’ Charges

The case will be heard on Wednesday by the Tehran Revolutionary Court. It comes after Panahi returned to Iran on March 30. Read More

Iran Arranges Mass Wedding of Over 100 Couples Who Are Ready To ‘Sacrifice’ For War

Iran holds mass public weddings in Tehran for self-sacrifice volunteers as parliament weighs bounty bill targeting President Trump and PM Netanyahu. Read More

Topics

Who were Cain Clark and Caleb Vazquez? San Diego mosque shooter’s mother called police hours before attack

Cain Clark and Caleb Velasquez, teen shooters of San Diego mosque, died from self-inflicted wounds. Read More

As Ukraine gains ground, Russia launches massive nuclear drills ahead of Putin’s China visit

The drills come as Xi is all set to welcome Putin in Beijing, amid deepening military and strategic cooperation between the two countries. Read More

‘Send Trump and Netanyahu to hell’: Iran weighs $58 million bounty bill targeting the two leaders

The proposed legislation would earmark 50 million euros (around $58 million) for individuals or organisations involved in targeting the two leaders, according to a report Go to Source Read More

Oscar-Nominated Iranian Filmmaker Jafar Panahi To Face Trial On ‘Propaganda’ Charges

The case will be heard on Wednesday by the Tehran Revolutionary Court. It comes after Panahi returned to Iran on March 30. Read More

Iran Arranges Mass Wedding of Over 100 Couples Who Are Ready To ‘Sacrifice’ For War

Iran holds mass public weddings in Tehran for self-sacrifice volunteers as parliament weighs bounty bill targeting President Trump and PM Netanyahu. Read More

‘Japan Is Being Destroyed’: Video Shows Bamboo Trees Covered In Graffiti At Kyoto’s Fushimi Inari Taisha

A video from Kyoto’s quiet bamboo grove near Fushimi Inari Taisha showed several bamboo stalks covered with graffiti, carvings and scratched markings. Read More

UP shocker: Roadshow, garlands, rousing welcome for rape accused after bail in Ghaziabad; Akhilesh Yadav slams BJP government

NEW DELHI: A shocking video emerged from UP’s Ghaziabad where an allaged rape accused received a rousing welcome from his supporters after being granted bail. Read More

Who wins and who loses when AI comes for the workplace

AI generated image The conversation about artificial intelligence and employment has shifted decisively from speculation to documented reality. Read More

Related Articles