Saturday, February 21, 2026
15.1 C
New Delhi

‘You had Osman Hadi killed’: Kin makes big claim against Yunus; alleges plot to ‘sabotage’ polls

‘You had Osman Hadi killed’: Kin makes big allegation against Yunus government; regime accused of trying to ‘sabotage’ Bangladesh election

The brother of slain youth leader Sharif Osman Hadi accused Bangladesh’s interim government, of orchestrating the killing to destabilise the country and derail the upcoming national election in February.Also read: India summons high commissioner; protests continue over Hindu man killingSharif Omar bin Hadi, speaking at a protest rally in Shahbagh on Tuesday, said those in power could not evade responsibility for his brother’s murder, which took place just days after the election schedule was announced. Osman Hadi, a convenor of the political platform Inqilab Moncho, was shot on December 12 and later died of his injuries in Singapore on December 18.

Muhammad Yunus Interim Rule Sparks Alarm, Indian Diplomats Back Hasina On Anti India Narrative Shift

‘This killing was meant to sabotage the election’

Addressing a “Shahidi Shopoth” programme organised by Inqilab Moncho outside the National Museum, Omar Hadi accused “a quarter within the government” of planning the killing to disrupt the electoral process. “It is you who had Osman Hadi killed, and now you are trying to foil the election by using this as an issue,” he said as quoted by The DailyStar.Also read: Major showdown in Delhi; protesters break barricades, clash with copsHe said his brother had been firmly in favour of holding elections by February and had actively worked on the ground to prepare for them. “Respecting his wish, we demand that the election environment is not disturbed,” Omar Hadi said, warning that the government had so far shown “no visible progress” in delivering justice. He claimed Osman Hadi was targeted because he refused to bow to any agency or “foreign masters”. If justice was denied, Omar Hadi warned, those responsible would one day be forced to flee the country. Protesters later took an oath vowing to remain on the streets until “speedy and exemplary justice” was secured.

Inqilab Moncho issues ultimatum, warns of tougher protests

Earlier, Inqilab Moncho’s member secretary Abdullah Al Jaber, speaking as the keynote speaker, alleged a “deep conspiracy” involving international intelligence agencies and domestic “fascist associates” aimed at undermining Bangladesh’s sovereignty and the gains of the July uprising.The platform has given the government a 30-working-day deadline to identify and arrest the killers, warning of tougher nationwide programmes if the demand is not met. While the group said it would pause formal protests on December 25, the day BNP Acting Chairman Tarique Rahman is due to return to Bangladesh, it announced wall-writing and social media campaigns across December 24 and 25, with further agitation planned from December 26.In a parallel development, former prime minister Sheikh Hasina also blamed the interim government for the deteriorating law-and-order situation, saying the killing reflected “lawlessness” under Yunus.

Government promises speedy trial as arrests continue

The interim government has rejected suggestions of inaction, with Law Adviser Asif Nazrul saying the case would be tried under the Speedy Trial Tribunal Act, requiring completion within 90 days of the investigation report being filed. Home Adviser Jahangir Alam Chowdhury said the case was being treated as a top priority.Joint forces comprising police, the Rapid Action Battalion and Border Guard Bangladesh have arrested at least 10 people so far, including family members of the prime suspect, Faisal Karim Masud. Authorities say efforts are ongoing to arrest the main accused.Osman Hadi’s killing came a day after the Bangladesh Election Commission announced February 12 as the date for the next national polls. A prominent figure of the ‘July Uprising’ and a potential candidate for Dhaka-8, his death had fuelled major protests in Bangladesh. Go to Source

Hot this week

Trump set to visit China next month after Supreme Court strikes down key tariffs

The visit will be the first in-person meeting between Trump and Xi since October, when they met in South Korea and agreed to the trade truce. Read More

Just off ventilator, gritty teen turns up for boards

Chandigarh: Thirteen days. That’s how long 17-year-old Kanishka Bist was on a ventilator in an intensive care unit, as machines breathed for her and doctors kept constant watch. Read More

‘Tu Yaa Main’ BO day 7: Shanaya Kapoor film collects 4.45 crores

‘Tu Yaa Main’ has concluded its opening week at the box office, raking in Rs 4.45 crore net. Despite fluctuating weekday collections, the film maintained a stable performance. Read More

Ex-UP junior engineer, his wife get death for sexually abusing 33 boys, selling their videos

Representational image A Pocso court in UP’s Banda sentenced to death Friday a former govt junior engineer and his wife for sexually abusing 33 boys over a decade, some as young as three, and selling videos and photographs of Read More

‘Do Deewane Seher Mein’ BO day 1: Mints Rs 1.25 crores

Mrunal Thakur and Siddhant Chaturvedi’s ‘Do Deewane Seher Mein’ opened with a modest ₹1.25 crore India net, indicating a slow start for the slice-of-life romance. Read More

Topics

Trump set to visit China next month after Supreme Court strikes down key tariffs

The visit will be the first in-person meeting between Trump and Xi since October, when they met in South Korea and agreed to the trade truce. Read More

Just off ventilator, gritty teen turns up for boards

Chandigarh: Thirteen days. That’s how long 17-year-old Kanishka Bist was on a ventilator in an intensive care unit, as machines breathed for her and doctors kept constant watch. Read More

‘Tu Yaa Main’ BO day 7: Shanaya Kapoor film collects 4.45 crores

‘Tu Yaa Main’ has concluded its opening week at the box office, raking in Rs 4.45 crore net. Despite fluctuating weekday collections, the film maintained a stable performance. Read More

Ex-UP junior engineer, his wife get death for sexually abusing 33 boys, selling their videos

Representational image A Pocso court in UP’s Banda sentenced to death Friday a former govt junior engineer and his wife for sexually abusing 33 boys over a decade, some as young as three, and selling videos and photographs of Read More

‘Do Deewane Seher Mein’ BO day 1: Mints Rs 1.25 crores

Mrunal Thakur and Siddhant Chaturvedi’s ‘Do Deewane Seher Mein’ opened with a modest ₹1.25 crore India net, indicating a slow start for the slice-of-life romance. Read More

Alexandra Daddario and Andrew Form file for divorce

Actor Alexandra Daddario and film producer Andrew Form are reportedly set to pull the plug on their marriage. Read More

Trump brings in new 10% tariff as Supreme Court rejects his global import taxes

The Supreme Court decision striking down some of Trump’s most sweeping tariffs injects new uncertainty into global trade. Read More

Priyanka’s fans spot Nick’s mangalsutra bracelet – WATCH

Nick Jonas once again proved why he is a total “green flag. Read More

Related Articles