Sunday, May 24, 2026
37.1 C
New Delhi

US-Israel attack Iran: Saudi capital Riyadh becomes evacuation hub for wealthy individuals

US-Israel attack Iran: Saudi capital Riyadh becomes evacuation hub for wealthy individuals

Riyadh has become the main exit route as wealthy executives flee regional strikes/Representative Image

Riyadh has swiftly emerged as a primary evacuation hub for wealthy individuals and senior executives seeking to leave the Gulf, as missile and drone attacks disrupt cities once viewed as safe havens. According to Semafor, Saudi Arabia’s capital is now seen as the most viable departure point after strikes hit Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Qatar and Bahrain over the weekend.For years, Dubai and Abu Dhabi had drawn high-net worth individuals with their tax-free regimes, sunshine and reputation for security. That sense of stability was shaken when Iranian missiles and drones targeted the region, prompting those with the means to look for immediate exit options.

Israel attacks Iran

Riyadh’s airport is among the few in the region still operating, Semafor noted, forcing stranded executives and their families to undertake the 10-hour drive from Dubai to reach available flights.Private security firms have arranged fleets of SUVs to transport clients across the desert before chartering private aircraft out of the region, according to people familiar with the matter cited by Semafor. Those being evacuated include senior figures at global finance firms and wealthy individuals visiting for business or leisure. The surge in demand has driven up prices for both ground transport and private aviation.“Saudi Arabia is the only real option for people who want to get out of the region right now,” Ameerh Naran, chief executive of Vimana Private, told Semafor. He added that private jet flights from Riyadh to Europe are now costing up to $350,000.Semafor reported that security firms initially explored routing evacuations through Oman, but that option closed after Iran struck the country’s port and an oil tanker on Sunday. With alternatives narrowing, Riyadh became the safest route.The development marks a notable shift for a city that previously carried higher perceived risks. In earlier years, Houthi rocket attacks from Yemen frequently disrupted Saudi airspace. During past crises, including the Arab Spring and last year’s 12-day war between the US and Iran, affluent travellers typically exited through other cities. Saudi Arabia’s stricter religious environment and the memory of terror attacks in the early 2000s had also shaped perceptions.However, relaxed visa rules allowing many nationalities to obtain visas on arrival, combined with Riyadh’s open airspace, have strengthened its position. Ian McCaul, operations and future plans director at UK-based security firm Alma Risk, told Semafor that families, individuals and corporations are seeking to leave for safety reasons or to maintain business continuity.While rockets and drones have struck other cities, daily life in Riyadh has largely continued, reinforcing its new role as the region’s most reliable departure point.

Go to Source

Hot this week

Aishwarya’s UNSEEN look from Cannes goes viral – PICS

Aishwarya Rai Bachchan continues to dominate the fashion game at the Cannes Film Festival 2026, with the actress now going viral for yet another striking look unveiled off the red carpet. Read More

Sub-inspector among 6 cops suspended over explosives on PM Modi convoy route in Bengaluru

BENGALURU: Six police officers, including a sub-inspector, have been suspended for security lapse during Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to the Art of Living (AOL) Foundation in the Karnataka capital on May 10. Read More

1.5 lakh fake AI citations slipped into scientific record in 2025: Study

Suggests Several Researchers Copying Them Without Check BENGALURU: A surge of AI-generated fake citations has entered scientific literature, with a new study estimating that about 1. Read More

Olivia Dean brings the curtain down on Radio 1’s Big Weekend with ‘magic’ set

The British pop star has closed out a star-studded line-up at Big Weekend, which also included Fatboy Slim and Zara Larsson. Read More

‘He was never…’: WH shooter’s mother breaks silence after seeing son’s death on social media

The mother of the man shot dead by Secret Service officers near the White House has said she was left shocked after learning about the incident online, insisting her son “was never violent”. Read More

Topics

Aishwarya’s UNSEEN look from Cannes goes viral – PICS

Aishwarya Rai Bachchan continues to dominate the fashion game at the Cannes Film Festival 2026, with the actress now going viral for yet another striking look unveiled off the red carpet. Read More

Sub-inspector among 6 cops suspended over explosives on PM Modi convoy route in Bengaluru

BENGALURU: Six police officers, including a sub-inspector, have been suspended for security lapse during Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to the Art of Living (AOL) Foundation in the Karnataka capital on May 10. Read More

1.5 lakh fake AI citations slipped into scientific record in 2025: Study

Suggests Several Researchers Copying Them Without Check BENGALURU: A surge of AI-generated fake citations has entered scientific literature, with a new study estimating that about 1. Read More

Olivia Dean brings the curtain down on Radio 1’s Big Weekend with ‘magic’ set

The British pop star has closed out a star-studded line-up at Big Weekend, which also included Fatboy Slim and Zara Larsson. Read More

‘He was never…’: WH shooter’s mother breaks silence after seeing son’s death on social media

The mother of the man shot dead by Secret Service officers near the White House has said she was left shocked after learning about the incident online, insisting her son “was never violent”. Read More

Government brings in experts from IITs & PSBs to fix glitches in CBSE portal

NEW DELHI: Union education minister Dharmendra Pradhan has sought a detailed report from Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) after widespread complaints from students and parents over technical glitches during the post-result Read More

How a con woman used sharia law to dupe investors of Rs 6,000 crore

NEW DELHI: ED has come across a case where the prime targets of a scam were Muslims following sharia law, which prohibits earning interest on investments. Read More

India can always count on me: Donald Trump

NEW DELHI: India and the US had never been closer, US President Donald Trump told Sergio Gor in the middle of the US Independence Day celebrations, ‘Freedom 250’, attended by secretary of state Marco Rubio and external af Read More

Related Articles