Friday, May 22, 2026
39.1 C
New Delhi

UAE spooked? Fearing Gulf chaos, Abu Dhabi joins Saudis, Qatar in urging Trump against fresh Iran war

UAE spooked? Fearing Gulf chaos, Abu Dhabi joins Saudis, Qatar in urging Trump against fresh Iran war

The United Arab Emirates has joined Saudi Arabia and Qatar in urging US President Donald Trump to avoid restarting military action against Iran and instead give diplomacy a chance, according to people familiar with the matter.The outreach reflects growing concerns among Gulf states that renewed hostilities could trigger fresh retaliation from Tehran and plunge regional economies into turmoil. In separate conversations with Trump, leaders of the three US allies argued that military action would not achieve Washington’s long-standing objectives with Iran, the people said.The White House did not immediately respond to requests for comment.The UAE’s position marks a notable shift for a country that had adopted a more hawkish stance toward Tehran after suffering extensive damage during the recent conflict. The UAE, Saudi Arabia and Qatar differ on the type of diplomatic arrangement the US should pursue with Iran and how hard Washington should push Tehran, sources said. However, all three Gulf nations remain wary of a repeat of the conflict that erupted in late February and lasted until a ceasefire was reached in early April. During the war, Iran and Tehran-backed militias in Iraq launched thousands of drones and missiles across the Gulf, killing scores of people and inflicting billions of dollars in damage to ports and energy infrastructure.“The Gulf Arab states saw their worst fears come true,” said Dina Esfandiary, an analyst at Bloomberg Economics. “They were caught in the middle of a US-Iran war and suffered much of the fallout. They now face the prospect of renewed confrontation if the ceasefire can’t be translated into a permanent deal, with their image as stable regional havens at risk.”Bloomberg News previously reported that the UAE had been frustrated by the reluctance of Saudi Arabia and other Gulf nations to respond collectively with force against Iran. Abu Dhabi reportedly carried out limited strikes on Iran in coordination with the US and Israel, while Saudi Arabia conducted separate actions.Iran and the US agreed to a truce on April 8 and are currently exchanging messages through Pakistan over a possible peace deal. Both sides, however, have warned they are prepared to resume hostilities if negotiations fail.US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Friday said there had been “slight progress” in negotiations, while Iranian media also indicated movement toward a possible agreement. Pakistan Army chief Asim Munir was expected to visit Iran the same day, in what analysts viewed as another indication that talks were advancing.The UAE’s tensions with fellow Gulf states had escalated earlier this year when Abu Dhabi decided to leave OPEC, the oil cartel led by Saudi Arabia. Relations within the six-member Gulf Cooperation Council have since improved.“The UAE continues its close coordination and consultation with member states of the Gulf Cooperation Council, alongside regional and international partners,” the UAE foreign ministry said in a statement to Bloomberg.The same day, all GCC members except Oman reportedly sent a letter to a global shipping watchdog rejecting Iran’s attempts to permanently control maritime traffic through the Strait of Hormuz. Tehran had effectively closed the strategic waterway at the start of the conflict, disrupting oil and natural gas exports from Gulf countries.Despite suffering military setbacks and the assassination of several senior commanders, Iran and its allies retain substantial offensive capabilities, analysts say. Concerns deepened after a drone attack on a UAE nuclear power plant on Sunday, which Abu Dhabi blamed on Iran-backed militias operating from Iraq.A day later, Trump said he had spoken to Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, UAE President Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan and Qatari Emir Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, adding that they had persuaded him not to strike Iran again.Some Gulf leaders remain uncertain whether their appeals will ultimately influence Washington and fear that Israel could still convince Trump to resume attacks on Iran, one source said.Israel, which has deepened defence cooperation with the UAE since the conflict began, continues to view Iran as an existential threat. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has repeatedly indicated that further military strikes may be necessary to weaken Tehran’s capabilities.“There’s ‘a 50-50 chance that we will reach an agreement’ with Iran,” Anwar Gargash, senior adviser to the UAE president, said on Friday. “My worry is that the Iranians have always over-negotiated. I hope they don’t do that this time because the region does need a political solution. Round two of a military confrontation will only complicate things.”Trump now faces mounting pressure as the conflict continues to strain the US economy and push up global energy prices following disruptions in the Strait of Hormuz. While he initially vowed to destroy Iran’s ballistic missile programme and hinted at regime change, the war has reportedly cost Washington tens of billions of dollars and is becoming increasingly unpopular domestically.Saudi Arabia is supporting Pakistan-led mediation efforts and believes any resolution to Iran’s nuclear and ballistic missile programmes must come through negotiations, according to people familiar with the discussions.Saudi Arabia and the UAE are also said to favour keeping pressure on Tehran through naval restrictions and by ensuring the Strait of Hormuz remains open for commercial traffic.Qatar has continued to back mediation efforts led by Pakistan, with a Qatari diplomat saying Doha consistently advocates de-escalation “for the sake of the region and its people.”In its statement to Bloomberg, the UAE foreign ministry reiterated that any future agreement must address Iran’s “full range of threats,” including its nuclear programme, ballistic missiles, drones and “affiliated proxies and terrorist groups.”A Saudi foreign ministry official referred Bloomberg to remarks made by Foreign Minister Faisal bin Farhan Al Saud earlier this week, in which he said the kingdom “highly appreciates” Trump’s decision “to give diplomacy a chance to reach an acceptable agreement to end the war.” Go to Source

Hot this week

Massive, absurd: Immigration experts, foreign-born founder react to new Green Card rule

USCIS dropped a new Green Card rule asking those waiting for Green Card to leave the country and go back to their own countries. Read More

‘Contrary To International Law’: EU Set To Sanction Iranian Officials For Hormuz Blockade

EU imposes new sanctions on Iranian officials over the Strait of Hormuz blockade, and suspends tariffs on nitrogen fertiliser imports to ease price pressures and supply strains Go to Source Read More

‘I’m Going To Miss Donald Trump’: Bangladesh’s Viral Blond-Haired Buffalo Set For Eid Sacrifice

The nearly 700-kilogram buffalo earned its nickname because of the tuft of blond hair falling across its forehead, which many believed resembled to trump. Read More

India successfully test-launches Agni-1 ballistic missile

Representative image NEW DELHI: India on Friday successfully test-fired short-range ballistic missile ‘Agni-1’ from the integrated test range at Odisha’s Chandipur, the defence ministry said. Read More

Lens On ‘Cockroach Janta Party’ | ‘Digital Insurgents’ Vs India? | The Hard Facts | News18

The Cockroach Janta Party (CJP), a satirical political movement rapidly gaining popularity among Gen Z, has taken social media by storm with over 15 million Instagram followers in just days. Read More

Topics

Massive, absurd: Immigration experts, foreign-born founder react to new Green Card rule

USCIS dropped a new Green Card rule asking those waiting for Green Card to leave the country and go back to their own countries. Read More

‘Contrary To International Law’: EU Set To Sanction Iranian Officials For Hormuz Blockade

EU imposes new sanctions on Iranian officials over the Strait of Hormuz blockade, and suspends tariffs on nitrogen fertiliser imports to ease price pressures and supply strains Go to Source Read More

‘I’m Going To Miss Donald Trump’: Bangladesh’s Viral Blond-Haired Buffalo Set For Eid Sacrifice

The nearly 700-kilogram buffalo earned its nickname because of the tuft of blond hair falling across its forehead, which many believed resembled to trump. Read More

India successfully test-launches Agni-1 ballistic missile

Representative image NEW DELHI: India on Friday successfully test-fired short-range ballistic missile ‘Agni-1’ from the integrated test range at Odisha’s Chandipur, the defence ministry said. Read More

Lens On ‘Cockroach Janta Party’ | ‘Digital Insurgents’ Vs India? | The Hard Facts | News18

The Cockroach Janta Party (CJP), a satirical political movement rapidly gaining popularity among Gen Z, has taken social media by storm with over 15 million Instagram followers in just days. Read More

Mosques And Slums On Railway Lands But ‘Slab’ Of Anarchy Stalls JCB| Religion a Weapon to Block Law?

Tensions flared in Mumbai’s Bandra area during a demolition drive targeting illegal encroachments near railway tracks. Read More

Aishwarya Rai Bachchan’s first Cannes 2026 look breaks internet

Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, who has been away from the silver screen for quite some time, was spotted jetting off to the ongoing edition of the Cannes Film Festival in the early hours of Friday. Read More

Naseeruddin was bedridden for entire film, became irritable: Ali

Veteran actor Naseeruddin Shah underwent an emotionally and physically demanding transformation for Imtiaz Ali’s upcoming film Main Vaapas Aaunga. Read More

Related Articles