Wednesday, February 18, 2026
16.1 C
New Delhi

Struck over the head: Israeli settlers attack Palestinian farmers in West Bank; video captures assault on woman

Struck over the head: Israeli settlers attack Palestinian farmers in West Bank; video captures assault on woman

Image: X@/AbujomaaGaza

A 55-year-old Palestinian woman was hospitalised after a masked Jewish settler struck her on the head while she was picking olives.The unprovoked attack took place on Sunday morning in the Palestinian village of Turmus Ayya in the occupied West Bank and was captured on video by US journalist Jasper Nathaniel.Nathaniel said the settler struck the woman unconscious with a stick and hit her again as she lay on the ground. He rejected claims that Israeli soldiers intervened, saying, “no Israeli forces showed up to the attack at any point.”According to Nathaniel, soldiers had been present before the assault and had “lured” him and others into an “ambush” before driving away moments prior to the settlers’ attack.Footage shows the assailant wielding a large wooden stick with a knotted end, resembling a club, which he swings overhead before striking Abu Alia.”It’s the most vivid image that’s ever been seared in my mind,” Nathaniel was quoted as saying by the BBC. “He swings it one time and I saw her body go completely limp. And then he stood over her and hit her twice more.” The assault was part of a larger incident involving at least 15 masked settlers who threw stones and attacked Palestinian olive harvesters and activists, including Nathaniel. One car was set on fire, and several others had their windows smashed. The UN and rights groups have warned that Palestinian farmers face increasing risks as the olive harvest season begins.“Settler violence has skyrocketed in scale and frequency,” stated Ajith Sunghay, the head of the UN Human Rights Office in the Palestinian territory on Tuesday.Turmus Ayya, a predominantly Palestinian-American village situated in a valley surrounded by Israeli settlements, has long been targeted by settler violence, which residents say has escalated amid the ongoing Israel-Hamas conflict. The United Nations reports that the first half of 2025 saw 757 settler attacks resulting in casualties or property damage, marking a 13 percent increase compared with the same period last year.During the opening week of the olive harvest, more than 150 attacks were recorded, with over 700 olive trees reportedly uprooted, damaged, or poisoned, according to Muayyad Shaaban, head of a Palestinian Authority office monitoring the violence, as cited by AP.Israel captured the West Bank, East Jerusalem, and the Gaza Strip in the 1967 Middle East War. Palestinians aim to establish a future independent state in these territories.

Go to Source

Hot this week

Putin meets Cuban FM in Moscow, calls new US restrictions ‘unacceptable’

Russian President Vladimir Putin met Cuban Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez on Wednesday in the Kremlin, where he said that new restrictions imposed on the communist run island were “unacceptable”. Read More

US Says ‘Wise’ For Iran To Strike Deal With Trump As Israel Puts Civil Defence Forces On Alert

The White House urges Iran to make a nuclear deal as tensions rise, while it fortifies nuclear sites and US military assets increase in the region. Read More

India guided by ethos of ‘Vasudhaiv Kutumbakam’: President Murmu at International Fleet Review

A glimpse of International Fleet Review off the coast of Visakhapatnam (Pic credit: Kanaka Nalam) NEW DELHI: Reviewing the International Fleet Review (IFR) 2026 off the coast of Visakhapatnam, President Droupadi Murmu — the suprem Read More

Is Donald Trump eyeing social media ban for teens? Daughter-in-law Lara says he’s ‘very interested’

Amid rising global push to regulate online platforms for minors due to concerns over addictive algorithms, online bullying and mental health risks, US President Donald Trump has shown a keen “interest” in the idea of restricting socia Read More

Space regulator IN-SPACe announces Rs 6 crore seed fund for startups developing AI applications

IN-SPACe director Vinod Kumar NEW DELHI: Space promoter and regulator IN-SPACe on Wednesday announced an AI inspired seed fund scheme of Rs 6 crore for startups or people interested in developing AI applications in the space sector. Read More

Topics

Putin meets Cuban FM in Moscow, calls new US restrictions ‘unacceptable’

Russian President Vladimir Putin met Cuban Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez on Wednesday in the Kremlin, where he said that new restrictions imposed on the communist run island were “unacceptable”. Read More

US Says ‘Wise’ For Iran To Strike Deal With Trump As Israel Puts Civil Defence Forces On Alert

The White House urges Iran to make a nuclear deal as tensions rise, while it fortifies nuclear sites and US military assets increase in the region. Read More

India guided by ethos of ‘Vasudhaiv Kutumbakam’: President Murmu at International Fleet Review

A glimpse of International Fleet Review off the coast of Visakhapatnam (Pic credit: Kanaka Nalam) NEW DELHI: Reviewing the International Fleet Review (IFR) 2026 off the coast of Visakhapatnam, President Droupadi Murmu — the suprem Read More

Is Donald Trump eyeing social media ban for teens? Daughter-in-law Lara says he’s ‘very interested’

Amid rising global push to regulate online platforms for minors due to concerns over addictive algorithms, online bullying and mental health risks, US President Donald Trump has shown a keen “interest” in the idea of restricting socia Read More

Space regulator IN-SPACe announces Rs 6 crore seed fund for startups developing AI applications

IN-SPACe director Vinod Kumar NEW DELHI: Space promoter and regulator IN-SPACe on Wednesday announced an AI inspired seed fund scheme of Rs 6 crore for startups or people interested in developing AI applications in the space sector. Read More

Aunties to play matchmakers for single Americans: Singapore’s new tourism campaign replaces dating apps

Singapore has launched a state-backed tourism campaign inviting single Americans to step away from dating apps and try human-led matchmaking, with so-called “aunties” selecting their first date instead of algorithms. Read More

Germany’s Merz backs proposal to ban social media for under-14s

German Chancellor Friedrich Merz has voiced his “sympathy” for a proposal to ban social media use for children under 14, ahead of discussions among governing politicians starting Friday Go to Source Read More

Do not give away Diego Garcia, Trump tells UK

The US president says “it will be a blight on our great ally” if the islands are handed over to Mauritius. Read More

Related Articles