Saturday, May 23, 2026
39.1 C
New Delhi

Schengen-style GCC Unified Tourist Visa misses 2025 deadline: When will it finally launch?

Schengen-style GCC Unified Tourist Visa misses 2025 deadline: When will it finally launch?

The GCC unified tourist visa will allow seamless travel across all six Gulf Cooperation Council countries/ Representative Image

After months of anticipation and shifting timelines, Gulf officials have confirmed that the long-awaited unified GCC tourist visa will not launch in 2025 as earlier indicated, but will instead roll out in 2026. The clarification came in early November from Saudi Arabia’s tourism minister, resetting expectations around one of the region’s most ambitious travel integration projects and underscoring the complexity of aligning immigration and security systems across six sovereign states.

Timeline revised after pilot-stage expectations

The unified visa, often referred to as the GCC Grand Tours Visa, was initially expected to enter a pilot phase in the fourth quarter of 2025, with several officials across the region indicating that testing could begin before the end of the year. The concept itself was approved by GCC interior ministers as early as November 2023 and repeatedly described through 2024 and 2025 as a cornerstone of regional tourism cooperation. However, speaking at the Gulf Gateway Investment Forum in Manama, Bahrain, Ahmed Al-Khateeb, Saudi Arabia’s Minister of Tourism, confirmed that the full rollout is now expected in 2026. He described the project as “a major milestone achieved after years of collaboration among GCC member states,” while acknowledging that implementation requires deeper coordination than initially anticipated. The revision follows earlier statements by Abdulla bin Touq Al Marri, UAE Minister of Economy and Chairman of the Emirates Tourism Council, who said in June that the visa had already received formal approval and was awaiting implementation pending coordination among interior ministries and relevant authorities.

Why the launch moved

According to reporting by Gulf News, the delay reflects three core challenges. First is security and policy alignment. In March 2025, Oman’s Minister of Heritage and Tourism, Salim bin Mohammed Al Mahrouqi, said the project remained in a “research phase,” citing ongoing discussions around security concerns, immigration controls and data-sharing frameworks. These systems must operate seamlessly across all six GCC countries before a shared visa can function. Second is technical integration. The visa requires a unified digital platform capable of linking national immigration databases, border systems and traveller records in real time. GCC officials have repeatedly stressed that the infrastructure must meet international data-protection and security standards. In July, GCC Secretary General Jasem Mohamed Albudaiwi said passport departments across member states were holding joint technical meetings to ensure the system keeps pace with evolving global security demands. Finally, the bloc opted for a phased approach rather than a rushed rollout. While a pilot phase had been discussed for late 2025, officials now say testing will feed into a broader launch in 2026, prioritising operational reliability over speed.

What the unified visa will change

Once operational, the GCC Unified Visa will allow tourists to travel across all six member states, the Gulf Cooperation Council countries of the UAE, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Oman, Kuwait and Bahrain, under a single permit, similar in concept to Europe’s Schengen visa. Travellers will be able to choose between a single-country visa or a multi-country option, significantly reducing the need for multiple applications. Officials expect the visa to allow stays of around 30 days, though final conditions have yet to be published. The aim is to simplify travel, lower costs for visitors and encourage longer, multi-destination trips across the Gulf. The push comes amid rising intra-GCC travel. In 2024 alone, 3.3 million visitors from GCC countries travelled to the UAE, accounting for 11 per cent of hotel guests. Saudi Arabia made up the largest share at 1.9 million visitors, followed by Oman, Kuwait, Bahrain and Qatar. For now, travellers must continue to follow existing visa rules for each country. While the unified visa has been formally approved and remains under active review by interior ministries, officials have made clear that full implementation will come next year, once security, technical and regulatory requirements are fully aligned across the region. Go to Source

Hot this week

No place for women in Trump’s Cabinet? Tulsi Gabbard is the latest casualty

Tulsi Gabbard on Friday (May 22) said she is resigning as the US Director of National Intelligence, citing her husband’s recent diagnosis of an extremely rare bone cancer. She is the fourth Trump Cabinet member to depart this year — all were women. Read More

Iran mocks Trump with viral Bangladeshi buffalo video amid tensions with US

Iran mocked US President Donald Trump online by sharing a viral video of a Bangladeshi albino buffalo said to resemble him amid continuing tensions between Tehran and Washington Go to Source Read More

‘Take him home to mummy’: Trump mocks protesters and revives familiar attacks during New York rally

US President Donald Trump mixed economic messaging with attacks on Democrats, Biden and cultural issues during a rally in New York that was briefly disrupted by protesters, as he sought to energise Republican supporters ahead of the upcoming midterm Read More

‘Call Me Tyrant Or Dictator, But Not Dumb’: Trump Defends Mental Fitness

Trump’s remarks come amid continuing political debate in the United States over the age and mental fitness of senior leaders. Read More

Youth employment push: PM Modi distributes over 51,000 appointment letters at 19th Rozgar Mela

Image credit: ANI NEW DELHI: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday distributed more than 51,000 appointment letters to newly inducted recruits at the 19th Rozgar Mela via video conferencing, as part of the government’s broad Read More

Topics

No place for women in Trump’s Cabinet? Tulsi Gabbard is the latest casualty

Tulsi Gabbard on Friday (May 22) said she is resigning as the US Director of National Intelligence, citing her husband’s recent diagnosis of an extremely rare bone cancer. She is the fourth Trump Cabinet member to depart this year — all were women. Read More

Iran mocks Trump with viral Bangladeshi buffalo video amid tensions with US

Iran mocked US President Donald Trump online by sharing a viral video of a Bangladeshi albino buffalo said to resemble him amid continuing tensions between Tehran and Washington Go to Source Read More

‘Take him home to mummy’: Trump mocks protesters and revives familiar attacks during New York rally

US President Donald Trump mixed economic messaging with attacks on Democrats, Biden and cultural issues during a rally in New York that was briefly disrupted by protesters, as he sought to energise Republican supporters ahead of the upcoming midterm Read More

‘Call Me Tyrant Or Dictator, But Not Dumb’: Trump Defends Mental Fitness

Trump’s remarks come amid continuing political debate in the United States over the age and mental fitness of senior leaders. Read More

Youth employment push: PM Modi distributes over 51,000 appointment letters at 19th Rozgar Mela

Image credit: ANI NEW DELHI: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday distributed more than 51,000 appointment letters to newly inducted recruits at the 19th Rozgar Mela via video conferencing, as part of the government’s broad Read More

‘World Excited About India’s Youth, Wants To Join Nation’s Growth Journey’: PM Modi

PM Modi also underlined the growing importance of clean energy, green hydrogen, sustainable manufacturing and critical minerals in the global economy. Read More

10-Year-Old Girl Kidnapped, Murdered In Coimbatore While Going To Grocery Store; Family Stages Protest

The accused, identified as Karthik of Nagapattinam, 33, is a resident of Pallapalayam near Sulur. Read More

Ministries Get ‘Report Cards’ At PM Modi Meet; Best, Worst Performers Reviewed

Reports said the ministries of consumer affairs, coal, power and health performed strongly across various categories assessed during the review. Read More

Related Articles