Sunday, May 24, 2026
30.1 C
New Delhi

Political activist claims bamboos were not the real reason for Hong Kong fire, it was…

Political activist claims bamboos were not the real reason for Hong Kong fire, it was…

Hong Kong political activist Finn Lau posted a long analysis on social media after a massive fire killed 128, pushing back against officials who blamed the disaster on bamboo scaffolding that was used in the tall buildings. Lau said that bamboo is fire-resistant and has been used safely for decades, so he believes it could not be the main cause. Instead, he accused authorities of using bamboo as a convenient excuse to avoid answering tougher questions about safety rules, inspections, and emergency planning.In his post, Lau said that government departments were too slow to respond and had ignored earlier warnings about overcrowded construction sites and poor fire-prevention measures. He also criticised officials for shifting responsibility instead of explaining why safety standards were not enforced and why the blaze spread so quickly in a modern city like Hong Kong. According to Lau, the real issue was long-term government negligence, not bamboo materials.He blamed the mesh netting, saying its highly flammable nature had been overlooked, and accused the government of pushing metal scaffolding before completing a proper investigation. He claimed that the government ignored earlier reports and whistleblower complaints about the widespread use of non-compliant, flammable mesh nets on Hong Kong construction sites over the past year.

Hong Kong high-rise fire

A devastating fire ripped through a high-rise residential block, Wang Fuk Court in Tai Po in Hong Kong, earlier this week, enveloping multiple floors in thick smoke. Firefighters raced to the scene, evacuating hundreds of residents as flames spread rapidly across the building’s exterior. The blaze burned for several hours before crews finally brought it under control. Several people have been treated for smoke inhalation, and emergency services continue to check for other potential casualties. The disaster killed hundreds with many more still missing.Authorities said the fire began on construction scaffolding wrapped in protective netting and foam-like panels during renovation. Fire alarms reportedly failed and many residents had to alert neighbours manually.

Go to Source

Hot this week

‘He got arrogant’: Magnus Carlsen slammed for stepping away from World Championship cycle

Former world champion has criticised Magnus Carlsen for stepping away from the World Chess Championship cycle, calling it arrogance and saying the Norwegian star made a mistake after dominating classical chess for years. Read More

White House gunfire scare: Footage shows journalists running for shelter

Tension gripped the White House complex on Sunday after series of gunfire were heard near the presidential compound, forcing journalists to rush into secure shelter areas while heavily armed law enforcement personnel sealed off parts Read More

SpaceX’s Starship flight hits most targets in pre-IPO test

STARBASE: SpaceX completed a largely successful test flight of its next-generation Starship rocket on Friday, deploying a clutch of mock satellites and executing a controlled splashdown in the Indian Ocean in a high-stakes debut of th Read More

Two people shot in Secret Service gun encounter near the White House, suspect taken to hospital

Two people were shot during an encounter with Secret Service near the White House on Saturday, sparking concerns about the safety of US President Donald Trump. Read More

Iran Israel War Live Updates: Trump says US-Iran agreement is ‘largely negotiated’, details to be announced soon

Iran Israel War Live Updates: US President Donald Trump said a deal with Iran had been “largely negotiated,” with the proposal including opening the crucial Strait of Hormuz, though the agreement was “subject to finalisation. Read More

Topics

‘He got arrogant’: Magnus Carlsen slammed for stepping away from World Championship cycle

Former world champion has criticised Magnus Carlsen for stepping away from the World Chess Championship cycle, calling it arrogance and saying the Norwegian star made a mistake after dominating classical chess for years. Read More

White House gunfire scare: Footage shows journalists running for shelter

Tension gripped the White House complex on Sunday after series of gunfire were heard near the presidential compound, forcing journalists to rush into secure shelter areas while heavily armed law enforcement personnel sealed off parts Read More

SpaceX’s Starship flight hits most targets in pre-IPO test

STARBASE: SpaceX completed a largely successful test flight of its next-generation Starship rocket on Friday, deploying a clutch of mock satellites and executing a controlled splashdown in the Indian Ocean in a high-stakes debut of th Read More

Two people shot in Secret Service gun encounter near the White House, suspect taken to hospital

Two people were shot during an encounter with Secret Service near the White House on Saturday, sparking concerns about the safety of US President Donald Trump. Read More

Iran Israel War Live Updates: Trump says US-Iran agreement is ‘largely negotiated’, details to be announced soon

Iran Israel War Live Updates: US President Donald Trump said a deal with Iran had been “largely negotiated,” with the proposal including opening the crucial Strait of Hormuz, though the agreement was “subject to finalisation. Read More

Heavenly, Dramatic And Unmissable: Aishwarya Rai Bachchan’s Stunning Cannes 2026 Red Carpet Looks

From regal whites to dramatic silhouettes, Aishwarya Rai Bachchan once again turned Cannes 2026 into her personal runway and left the internet completely mesmerised. Read More

Site, web accounts blocked, says Cockroach Janta Party founder

NEW DELHI: Cockroach Janta Party (CJP), the online satirical movement, claimed another setback on Saturday after founder Abhijeet Dipke said the outfit’s official website had been taken down by the Centre, days after its main X Read More

217 Indians joined Russian army, 49 dead, Centre tells SC

Russian army soldiers (Image credit: AP) NEW DELHI: Union govt has told SC that as many as 217 Indians had joined Russian forces, of which 49 died and six are missing in action in the ongoing Russia-Ukraine war. Read More

Related Articles