Tuesday, May 19, 2026
37.1 C
New Delhi

‘No money is changing hands’: Trump rejects $20 billion Iran ‘nuclear dust’ deal claim

'No money is changing hands': Trump rejects $20 billion Iran 'nuclear dust' deal claim

US President Donald Trump

After more than a month of Operation Epic Fury, Donald Trump on Friday claimed major breakthroughs in the US military mission against Iran, announcing what he described as the suspension of Tehran’s nuclear programme and the reopening of the strategic Strait of Hormuz for “full passage.”The MAGA supremo said the United States would secure what he called “nuclear dust” which he described as enriched uranium from Iran without any financial exchange, while asserting that one of his key objectives, restoring free movement through the Hormuz chokepoint, had been achieved.Trump also declared that Iran’s nuclear ambitions had effectively been shut down and said a broader deal to end the conflict, launched by the US and Israel against Iran in late February, was close to completion. Speaking in a phone interview on Friday, he indicated that talks on a lasting agreement would “probably” take place over the weekend.”We’re going to get ‌it together. We’re going to go in with Iran, at a nice leisurely pace, and go down and start excavating with big machinery… We’ll bring it back to the United States,” Trump said during a phone interview to Reuters.He referred to “nuclear dust” and added that it would be retrieved “very soon.” Trump’s reference to “nuclear dust” points to what he believes remains after US and Israeli strikes on Iranian nuclear facilities in June last year. Iran is estimated to possess more than 900 pounds of uranium enriched up to 60% purity, a level that has long been at the centre of tensions in US-Iran negotiations.While Trump has repeatedly said the war was aimed at preventing Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons, Tehran maintains that its uranium enrichment programme is intended solely for peaceful civilian purposes, such as energy generation.Despite his optimism, Trump said the United States would continue its naval blockade of Iran until a final agreement is reached.”I think the deal will go very quickly. We’re getting along very well with Iran,” he said.He added that further negotiations would be required, noting they could take place “probably over the weekend,” and said he “might” travel to Islamabad after a deal is finalised.”I haven’t made that determination,” he said.Trump also stated that Washington is working with Iran to clear mines from the Strait of Hormuz, signalling steps toward restoring stability in the vital oil transit route.Responding to reports suggesting a $20 billion cash for uranium arrangement, Trump dismissed the claims outright.”It’s totally false. No money is changing hands.”

Go to Source

Hot this week

Sindarov’s coach says Gukesh has ‘wrong goal setting’, being world champion not everything: ‘Most important step…’

Gukesh Dommaraju had made history in December 2024 by becoming the youngest champion in chess history, fulfilling a life-long dream in the process. Read More

China covertly trained Russian troops later deployed on Ukraine frontlines: Report

Reuters reported that around 200 Russian troops underwent training at military facilities in Beijing and the eastern Chinese city of Nanjing. Read More

US sanctions Iran’s ‘shadow banking’ network, blacklists 19 vessels in fresh pressure campaign

US also sanctioned 19 vessels described as part of Iran’s “shadow fleet”, alleging they were involved in transporting Iranian petroleum and petrochemical products to foreign buyers. Read More

Somaliland To Open Embassy In Jerusalem After Israel Recognition; Somalia Condemns Move

Somaliland will open an embassy in Jerusalem after Israels December recognition of its independence, with Israel to open an embassy in Hargeisa, deepening disputed ties. Read More

‘Ebola has tortured us’: Fear grips eastern DR Congo as deadly virus spreads

Following a visit to Ituri province, the epicentre of the outbreak, over the weekend, Congolese Health Minister Dr Samuel Roger Kamba acknowledged health teams are playing catch-up with the virus, which may have been circulating earlier than first de Read More

Topics

Sindarov’s coach says Gukesh has ‘wrong goal setting’, being world champion not everything: ‘Most important step…’

Gukesh Dommaraju had made history in December 2024 by becoming the youngest champion in chess history, fulfilling a life-long dream in the process. Read More

China covertly trained Russian troops later deployed on Ukraine frontlines: Report

Reuters reported that around 200 Russian troops underwent training at military facilities in Beijing and the eastern Chinese city of Nanjing. Read More

US sanctions Iran’s ‘shadow banking’ network, blacklists 19 vessels in fresh pressure campaign

US also sanctioned 19 vessels described as part of Iran’s “shadow fleet”, alleging they were involved in transporting Iranian petroleum and petrochemical products to foreign buyers. Read More

Somaliland To Open Embassy In Jerusalem After Israel Recognition; Somalia Condemns Move

Somaliland will open an embassy in Jerusalem after Israels December recognition of its independence, with Israel to open an embassy in Hargeisa, deepening disputed ties. Read More

‘Ebola has tortured us’: Fear grips eastern DR Congo as deadly virus spreads

Following a visit to Ituri province, the epicentre of the outbreak, over the weekend, Congolese Health Minister Dr Samuel Roger Kamba acknowledged health teams are playing catch-up with the virus, which may have been circulating earlier than first de Read More

PM Modi arrives in Rome for final leg of five-nation tour; India-Italy ties, trade on agenda

(ANI) NEW DELHI: Prime Minister Narendra Modi arrived in Rome on Tuesday (local time) for the final leg of his five-nation tour, where he is scheduled to meet Italian President Sergio Mattarella, hold bilateral talks with Prime Min Read More

Nasha Mukt Abhiyaan: LG Sinha leads anti-drug march in Pulwama

SRINAGAR: Jammu and Kashmir Lieutenant Governor (LG) Manoj Sinha led a march in south Kashmir’s Pulwama district on Tuesday under Nasha Mukt Abhiyan, a 100-day anti-drug campaign he launched on April 11. Read More

Villagers keep Kashmir spring alive with clean-and-fish fest

. SRINAGAR: Panzath Nag has been flowing for ages. So have celebrations. Read More

Related Articles