Monday, May 18, 2026
37.1 C
New Delhi

‘Naughty or nice?’: Trump ranks Nato allies in tiers based on defence spending and support in Iran war

‘Naughty or nice?’: Trump ranks Nato allies in tiers based on defence spending and support in Iran war

Representative image (AI-generated)

The White House has developed a ‘naughty and nice’ list of Nato countries, ranking member countries based on their contributions to the alliance and their stance during the ongoing Iran war, White House said. The move is seen as a part of the Trump administration’s broader push to pressure allies who did not support Washington’s position during the war.According to officials familiar with the plan, Nato members have been placed into different tiers based on defence spending, military cooperation and operational support. The assessment was reportedly prepared ahead of Nato Secretary-General Mark Rutte’s visit to Washington, with officials reviewing how each member contributes to collective security, according to Politico. The idea was floated by US Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth last year. He had earlier outlined the concept of rewarding countries that meet US expectations on defence spending and military cooperation. “Model allies that step up, like Israel, South Korea, Poland, increasingly Germany, the Baltics and others, will receive our special favor,” he said. “Allies that still fail to do their part for collective defense will face consequences,” Hegseth said. The Pentagon has also reinforced this approach in its National Defense Strategy, stating that cooperation would be prioritised with allies ‘doing their part’ for collective defence and shared security goals.One of the diplomats said the list appeared to reflect that concept. “The White House has a naughty and nice paper so I guess the thinking is similar,” the person said, according to Politico. The assessment is also linked to recent tensions within Nato over the Iran conflict, particularly regarding the Strait of Hormuz crisis and US military operations. Officials said that the ranking could influence decisions on which countries are offered greater military cooperation or strategic support in future operations.The Trump administration has expressed frustration with allies who did not support US requests during the conflict, including participation in operations or access to military bases.

Division among Nato members

Reports suggest that countries such as Romania and Poland were more cooperative, allowing US use of air bases and logistical support during Middle East operations. Poland, already one of Nato’s highest defence spenders, also hosts around 10,000 US troops and covers most of the associated costs. Romania’s expanded Mihail Kogălniceanu Air Base has also been used for US military operations.In contrast, countries including Spain and some other Western European allies reportedly resisted or delayed US requests for assistance. Meanwhile, Baltic nations such as Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia have been consistently praised for meeting or exceeding defence spending targets.Officials said potential consequences for countries placed lower on the list could include reduced troop deployments, fewer joint exercises or changes in military sales and cooperation. However, they also acknowledged that shifting US military presence within Europe would be costly, complex and logistically difficult.One European official highlighted that even troop redeployment options would largely shift US forces between allied countries rather than remove them from Europe entirely.

Limited clarity on enforcement

Despite the discussion, officials have provided little clarity on how strictly the ranking system would be enforced or what specific ‘rewards’ or ‘penalties’ would look like. Some diplomats familiar with the discussions said the administration itself appears uncertain about how to operationalise the idea.A European official described the concept as still not fully developed, suggesting that while troop movement is one option, it could also end up placing more strain on US resources rather than punishing allies.The White House has, however, defended its approach. Spokesperson Anna Kelly said the US has long supported allies that now need to contribute more.“While the United States has always been there for our so-called allies, countries we protect with thousands of troops have not been there for us throughout Operation Epic Fury,” she said, referring to the Pentagon’s designation for the Iran-related operation.“President Trump has made his thoughts on this unfair dynamic clear, and as he said, the United States will remember,” she added.US Senator Roger Wicker said it was “not helpful when American leaders speak of our alliances with derision,” warning that alliances carry ‘political, strategic and moral benefits’ for the country.“It is not helpful when American leaders speak of our alliances with derision. We must be clear about the numerous political, strategic and moral benefits that country receives from its alliances,” Wicker said. Former officials have also questioned whether the Trump administration has the capacity to pursue such an expansive restructuring of alliance relations while managing ongoing global crises. Go to Source

Hot this week

YouTuber Markiplier reveals when fans can watch Iron Lung at home after box office success

Getty Images YouTuber Markiplier has finally shared when fans will be able to watch his horror movie Iron Lung at home after its successful run in theaters. Read More

’20 students got visas denied in front of me’: Indian man reveals the ‘most dreaded’ question officer asks during interview

Ahmedabad’s Hari Krishna Trivedi reveals F-1 visa interview details at Mumbai consulate. Read More

Salman says mom got worried after his ‘alone and lonely’ post

Salman Khan recently left fans worried after sharing a cryptic note on loneliness on social media. The superstar’s post quickly went viral, with many netizens speculating if something was bothering him personally. Read More

Woman falls off terrace at in-laws’ house in Greater Noida; family alleges dowry harassment

Noida, May 18 (PTI): A 24-year-old woman died allegedly after falling from the terrace of her three-storey matrimonial house in Uttar Pradesh’s Gautam Buddh Nagar district amid harassment by her in-laws over dowry, police here said on Monday. Read More

Cash recovery row: Inquiry committee submits report on Justice Yashwant Varma to LS speaker

New Delhi, May 18 (PTI): The Judges Inquiry Committee investigating allegations against Justice Yashwant Varma — against whom impeachment proceedings were initiated over the alleged discovery of unaccounted cash from his official residence  Read More

Topics

YouTuber Markiplier reveals when fans can watch Iron Lung at home after box office success

Getty Images YouTuber Markiplier has finally shared when fans will be able to watch his horror movie Iron Lung at home after its successful run in theaters. Read More

Salman says mom got worried after his ‘alone and lonely’ post

Salman Khan recently left fans worried after sharing a cryptic note on loneliness on social media. The superstar’s post quickly went viral, with many netizens speculating if something was bothering him personally. Read More

Woman falls off terrace at in-laws’ house in Greater Noida; family alleges dowry harassment

Noida, May 18 (PTI): A 24-year-old woman died allegedly after falling from the terrace of her three-storey matrimonial house in Uttar Pradesh’s Gautam Buddh Nagar district amid harassment by her in-laws over dowry, police here said on Monday. Read More

Cash recovery row: Inquiry committee submits report on Justice Yashwant Varma to LS speaker

New Delhi, May 18 (PTI): The Judges Inquiry Committee investigating allegations against Justice Yashwant Varma — against whom impeachment proceedings were initiated over the alleged discovery of unaccounted cash from his official residence  Read More

GM Aravindh Chithambaram becomes first Indian chess player to qualify for 2026 Esports World Cup

Indian Grandmaster Aravindh Chitambaram, representing Mumbai-based esports organisation S8UL, secured his place at the Esports World Cup by winning the DreamHack Atlanta. Read More

Vinesh Phogat denied last-minute reprieve for Asian Games Trials by High Court: ‘How can we grant relief’

The Delhi High Court on Monday denied immediate relief to Vinesh Phogat, who sought permission to compete in the Asian Games selection trials later this month. Read More

Deepika Kumari, Atanu Das left out as India’s Asian Games archery squad undergoes major overhaul

Deepika Kumari and Atanu Das have been left out of India’s squads for the upcoming Asian Games as well as World Cup Stages 3 and 4 after failing to make the cut at the selection trials. Read More

Related Articles