Friday, May 22, 2026
39.1 C
New Delhi

‘It would be a big mistake’: WHO Africa chief warns against underestimating Ebola virus risk in Congo, Uganda

‘It would be a big mistake’: WHO Africa chief warns against underestimating Ebola virus risk in Congo, Uganda

Photo credit: AP

The World Health Organization’s Africa director on Friday warned against underestimating the risk posed by the ongoing Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo and neighbouring Uganda, saying even a single case could trigger wider transmission beyond the affected countries, Reuters reported.Speaking to Reuters in Geneva, Mohamed Yakub Janabi said it would be “a big mistake to underestimate it, especially with a virus with this strain, Bundibugyo, (for) which we don’t have the vaccine.”“So I would really encourage everyone, let’s help each other, we can bring this thing into control,” he said.Janabi said the Ebola outbreak in Congo had received relatively limited international attention compared with this month’s hantavirus outbreak linked to cruise ship passengers from 23 countries.“You just need one contact case to put all of us at risk, so my wish and prayer is that we should give (Ebola) the attention it deserves,” he said.Ebola is a severe and often fatal disease that spreads through direct contact with bodily fluids of infected individuals, contaminated materials, or the bodies of people who have died from the infection. Symptoms include fever, body aches, vomiting and diarrhoea. According to data published by the DRC health ministry on Thursday, the outbreak has resulted in 160 suspected deaths out of 670 suspected cases, with 61 confirmed infections so far. Two confirmed cases have also been reported in Uganda.Janabi declined to estimate how long the current outbreak might last, saying experts were still assessing the scale of the situation. He said the “hyperdynamic movement of the people” had made it difficult to fully gauge the outbreak.He added that efforts were underway to increase testing, strengthen infection prevention measures and improve community engagement.Referring to an incident in which Ebola treatment tents were burned following a dispute over a victim’s body, Janabi said authorities were “trying to fight both frontiers” — the virus itself and misinformation circulating among local communities.He also said epidemiologists were yet to identify the first infected person linked to the outbreak.

Go to Source

Hot this week

Indian man sentenced to 15.5 years in prison for gold scam in US, picked 16 gold bars from elderly victims

Indian man arrested in US for gold scam, sentenced to 15.5 years in prison. Syed M Makki, a 38-year-old Indian man in Illinois, has been sentenced to 15. Read More

WHO raises Ebola risk in DRC to ‘very high’ as outbreak concerns grow

WHO has raised its risk assessment for the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) to “very high” at the national level, warning of a heightened possibility of a broader outbreak Go to Source Read More

US releases second batch of declassified UFO files, reviving debate over unexplained sightings

At the order of President Donald Trump, the first batch ​was made public on May 8. ​He is the latest president to release ⁠US government reports on unidentified flying ​objects, a disclosure process that began in the ​late 1970s. Read More

UAE Official Says ’50-50′ Chance Of US-Iran Deal, Warns Tehran Against ‘Overestimating Their Cards’

UAE advisor Anwar Gargash says US-Iran deal chances are 50 50, warns conflict and instability in the Hormuz threaten global energy trade and urges a long term political solution Go to Source Read More

Topics

Indian man sentenced to 15.5 years in prison for gold scam in US, picked 16 gold bars from elderly victims

Indian man arrested in US for gold scam, sentenced to 15.5 years in prison. Syed M Makki, a 38-year-old Indian man in Illinois, has been sentenced to 15. Read More

WHO raises Ebola risk in DRC to ‘very high’ as outbreak concerns grow

WHO has raised its risk assessment for the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) to “very high” at the national level, warning of a heightened possibility of a broader outbreak Go to Source Read More

US releases second batch of declassified UFO files, reviving debate over unexplained sightings

At the order of President Donald Trump, the first batch ​was made public on May 8. ​He is the latest president to release ⁠US government reports on unidentified flying ​objects, a disclosure process that began in the ​late 1970s. Read More

UAE Official Says ’50-50′ Chance Of US-Iran Deal, Warns Tehran Against ‘Overestimating Their Cards’

UAE advisor Anwar Gargash says US-Iran deal chances are 50 50, warns conflict and instability in the Hormuz threaten global energy trade and urges a long term political solution Go to Source Read More

Nita Ambani’s Handwoven Banarasi Butidar Suit Celebrates India’s Rich Textile Heritage

Crafted in luxurious Katan silk using the intricate Kadwa technique, each motif in this Butidar design was individually woven by master artisans Haji Nafees Ahmad and Naseem Ahmad. Read More

2 Indians die on Everest after summiting; 3rd critical at South Col

Climbers walk in a long queue as they head to Camp 4 from Camp 3 on their way to ascend Mount Everest in the Solukhumbu district, also known as the Everest region. Read More

Twisha death case: Accused husband’s surrender, CCTV question and angry lawyer – key points

– NEW DELHI: Multiple key developments unfolded in the Twisha Sharma death case on Friday, with the Madhya Pradesh high court permitting a second post-mortem, accused husband Samarth Singh informing the court that he was willin Read More

Related Articles