Monday, May 18, 2026
40.1 C
New Delhi

In a first, South Korean women target US military in suit over prostitution

In a first, South Korean women target US military in suit over prostitution

SEOUL: In a first, dozens of South Korean women who worked as prostitutes have filed a suit accusing the US military of illegally promoting the sex trade for decades and locking them up to forcibly treat them for sexually transmitted diseases.In the lawsuit, announced in a news conference Monday, the women demanded that the US military apologise and pay damages for playing a hand in managing a vast network of prostitution around its bases in South Korea. Korean women who worked in bars and brothels frequented by US troops have reported rampant human rights violations.In 2022, the women won a court ruling against their own govt. South Korea’s Supreme Court ordered govt to compensate dozens of women for the trauma they endured as “comfort women for the US military,” as they were once known. The court found govt guilty of encouraging prostitution for American GIs to help bring in badly needed US dollars for the economy and maintain ties with the US, on which it relied for security. It also said govt forced many women to get treated for sexually transmitted diseases in a “systematic and violent” way.The latest lawsuit, which was filed at a Seoul court on Friday, was the first attempt by the women to hold the US military accountable. The women and their lawyers said the US military was “the real culprit” in what was a state-sponsored sex trade, even allowing comfort women inside its bases and near its field training grounds.On Monday, a 66-year-old woman said she was 16 when she was sold to a pimp. She said the US military was aware that minors were brought into the trade through sex trafficking but did nothing to stop it.In South Korea, women like her have not won the kind of public sympathy extended to women forced into sexual slavery for Japanese soldiers during World War II. Instead, they said they have had to live in shame for decades. Korean society despised them, they said, treating them like a shameful underside of its alliance with the US that it wanted to obscure. They could not even sue the US military directly; lawsuits seeking compensation from the US troops based in South Korea must be settled with the local govt. So the women sued govt again.Their goal is to find the US military culpable in law. The US has stationed troops in South Korea since the 1950-53 Korean War. Some of the women working in camp towns had been abducted and sold to pimps, while others were lured with the promise of work. All the women were held in debt bondage to pimps, according to scholars who studied the issue. NYT

Go to Source

Hot this week

Texas man films Indian grocery store keeping food items out in the open, owner says he’s a Trump voter

The owner of an Indian grocery store in Texas speaks to a man who has been filming his store and accusing him of safety violations. Read More

PM Modi Invites Norwegian Firms To Invest In India Under $100 Billion EFTA Pact

PM Modi attended the India-Norway Business and Research Summit during which he highlighted India’s goal to bring in $100 billion of investment from EFTA. Read More

Trump Administration Extends Russian Seaborne Oil Sanctions Waiver By 30 Days

Washington said the extension would provide “additional flexibility” and help ensure oil reaches “the most energy-vulnerable countries. Read More

Satadru Dutta Files Case Against Former Bengal Sports Minister, Ex-DG Over Messi Event Chaos

Satadru Datta was arrested in connection with the chaotic Messi event in Kolkata’s Salt Lake Stadium and spent 37 days in custody before securing bail. Read More

From Varanasi To Srinagar, Water Metro Services In 18 Cities Soon

Under Phase I, cities including Guwahati, Srinagar, Patna, Varanasi, Ayodhya and Prayagraj have been identified for the introduction of Water Metro services. Read More

Topics

Texas man films Indian grocery store keeping food items out in the open, owner says he’s a Trump voter

The owner of an Indian grocery store in Texas speaks to a man who has been filming his store and accusing him of safety violations. Read More

PM Modi Invites Norwegian Firms To Invest In India Under $100 Billion EFTA Pact

PM Modi attended the India-Norway Business and Research Summit during which he highlighted India’s goal to bring in $100 billion of investment from EFTA. Read More

Trump Administration Extends Russian Seaborne Oil Sanctions Waiver By 30 Days

Washington said the extension would provide “additional flexibility” and help ensure oil reaches “the most energy-vulnerable countries. Read More

Satadru Dutta Files Case Against Former Bengal Sports Minister, Ex-DG Over Messi Event Chaos

Satadru Datta was arrested in connection with the chaotic Messi event in Kolkata’s Salt Lake Stadium and spent 37 days in custody before securing bail. Read More

From Varanasi To Srinagar, Water Metro Services In 18 Cities Soon

Under Phase I, cities including Guwahati, Srinagar, Patna, Varanasi, Ayodhya and Prayagraj have been identified for the introduction of Water Metro services. Read More

Andy Grammer and Aijia announce baby no. 3

Singer-songwriter Andy Grammer and his wife Aijia are no strangers to parenting. Read More

Dancer reveals why Saroj Khan never worked with Karisma again

Years before delivering one of the most memorable performances of her career in Dil To Pagal Hai, Karisma Kapoor reportedly took on the challenge of starring opposite Madhuri Dixit at a time when several leading actresses were hesitan Read More

US Ready To Release 25% Of Iran’s Frozen Funds, Trump Softens Stand On Oil Sanctions

Show Quick Read Key points generated by AI, verified by newsroom Pakistan’s Interior Minister visited Tehran amid stalled US-Iran talks. Read More

Related Articles