Sunday, May 24, 2026
37.1 C
New Delhi

How one Trump call convinced Hamas to take Gaza peace deal seriously

'A risky gamble': How one Trump call convinced Hamas to take Gaza peace deal seriously; hostage swap next

When Israel bombed Doha in early September, it nearly collapsed the Gaza peace process. The Qataris, who were serving as the main mediators between Israel and Hamas, threatened to withdraw from negotiations, a senior White House official told Politico. However, the moment proved to be a flashpoint. A quick intervention by US president Donald Trump, including a phone call that linked Netanyahu to Qatar’s prime minister, helped salvage the talks and paved the way for the first major ceasefire in two years.According to two Palestinian officials quoted by Reuters, a private call in September made Hamas believe that Trump could actually deliver on peace. The moment came when Trump, hosting Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu at the White House, put Netanyahu on the phone with Qatar’s Prime Minister Mohammed bin Abdulrahman bin Jassim Al Thani to apologise for an Israeli airstrike in Doha. The strike had targeted a residential complex housing Hamas’ political leaders, including senior negotiator Khalil al-Hayya, but failed to kill them.Trump’s quick handling of the crisis, which included publicly distancing himself from the Israeli attack and sending his envoy Steve Witkoff to inform Qatari officials, reportedly convinced Hamas that he was capable of standing up to Netanyahu and serious about ending the war. “This morning, the Trump Administration was notified by the United States Military that Israel was attacking Hamas which, very unfortunately, was located in a section of Doha… This was a decision made by Prime Minister Netanyahu, it was not a decision made by me,” Trump wrote on Truth Social at the time.The apology call and the perception that Trump could rein in Israel proved decisive. Within weeks, Hamas signed on to a Trump-brokered ceasefire — one that required it to release all hostages without a full Israeli withdrawal. Two Hamas officials told Reuters that the move was a “risky gamble,” relying on Trump’s personal investment in the deal to ensure it holds. “They fear that once the hostages are released, Israel could resume its military campaign,” one official said, referring to a previous failed ceasefire in January.The truce, which took effect Friday, has so far held for three days. Preparations are underway for a large-scale hostage-prisoner exchange, with Hamas set to release 48 Israeli hostages in return for around 2,000 Palestinian detainees, including 250 serving life sentences.Trump is due to co-chair a peace summit in Egypt’s Sharm el-Sheikh alongside President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi, attended by world leaders including Keir Starmer, Emmanuel Macron and Antonio Guterres. For now, as aid convoys cross into Gaza and displaced families return to shattered homes, the future of the fragile peace rests on a phone call that showed Hamas a different side of Donald Trump — one it may now be betting everything on.

Go to Source

Hot this week

Aishwarya’s UNSEEN look from Cannes goes viral – PICS

Aishwarya Rai Bachchan continues to dominate the fashion game at the Cannes Film Festival 2026, with the actress now going viral for yet another striking look unveiled off the red carpet. Read More

Sub-inspector among 6 cops suspended over explosives on PM Modi convoy route in Bengaluru

BENGALURU: Six police officers, including a sub-inspector, have been suspended for security lapse during Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to the Art of Living (AOL) Foundation in the Karnataka capital on May 10. Read More

1.5 lakh fake AI citations slipped into scientific record in 2025: Study

Suggests Several Researchers Copying Them Without Check BENGALURU: A surge of AI-generated fake citations has entered scientific literature, with a new study estimating that about 1. Read More

Olivia Dean brings the curtain down on Radio 1’s Big Weekend with ‘magic’ set

The British pop star has closed out a star-studded line-up at Big Weekend, which also included Fatboy Slim and Zara Larsson. Read More

‘He was never…’: WH shooter’s mother breaks silence after seeing son’s death on social media

The mother of the man shot dead by Secret Service officers near the White House has said she was left shocked after learning about the incident online, insisting her son “was never violent”. Read More

Topics

Aishwarya’s UNSEEN look from Cannes goes viral – PICS

Aishwarya Rai Bachchan continues to dominate the fashion game at the Cannes Film Festival 2026, with the actress now going viral for yet another striking look unveiled off the red carpet. Read More

Sub-inspector among 6 cops suspended over explosives on PM Modi convoy route in Bengaluru

BENGALURU: Six police officers, including a sub-inspector, have been suspended for security lapse during Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to the Art of Living (AOL) Foundation in the Karnataka capital on May 10. Read More

1.5 lakh fake AI citations slipped into scientific record in 2025: Study

Suggests Several Researchers Copying Them Without Check BENGALURU: A surge of AI-generated fake citations has entered scientific literature, with a new study estimating that about 1. Read More

Olivia Dean brings the curtain down on Radio 1’s Big Weekend with ‘magic’ set

The British pop star has closed out a star-studded line-up at Big Weekend, which also included Fatboy Slim and Zara Larsson. Read More

‘He was never…’: WH shooter’s mother breaks silence after seeing son’s death on social media

The mother of the man shot dead by Secret Service officers near the White House has said she was left shocked after learning about the incident online, insisting her son “was never violent”. Read More

Government brings in experts from IITs & PSBs to fix glitches in CBSE portal

NEW DELHI: Union education minister Dharmendra Pradhan has sought a detailed report from Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) after widespread complaints from students and parents over technical glitches during the post-result Read More

How a con woman used sharia law to dupe investors of Rs 6,000 crore

NEW DELHI: ED has come across a case where the prime targets of a scam were Muslims following sharia law, which prohibits earning interest on investments. Read More

India can always count on me: Donald Trump

NEW DELHI: India and the US had never been closer, US President Donald Trump told Sergio Gor in the middle of the US Independence Day celebrations, ‘Freedom 250’, attended by secretary of state Marco Rubio and external af Read More

Related Articles