Sunday, May 17, 2026
31.1 C
New Delhi

France blames Hezbollah for French peacekeeper’s death in Lebanon

France blames Hezbollah for French peacekeeper's death in Lebanon

A French soldier was killed and three others wounded in an ambush Saturday on UN peacekeepers in Lebanon that French President Emmanuel Macron blamed on Hezbollah, an accusation the group has denied.The attack follows an agreement between Israel and Lebanon on Thursday for a 10-day ceasefire to negotiate an end to six weeks of fighting between Israel and the Iran-backed group.”Everything points to Hezbollah being responsible for this attack,” Macron said on X, urging Lebanese authorities to arrest the perpetrators.UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres condemned the attack in a statement and said an initial assessment by the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL) found it was carried out by the Iranian-backed group.But Hezbollah — which is strongly opposed to the planned talks with Israel — denied involvement in the attack that killed the French peacekeeper, identified as staff sergeant Florian Montorio.”Hezbollah denies any connection to the incident that occurred with UNIFIL forces in the Ghandouriyeh-Bint Jbeil area,” it said in a statement.The group urged “caution in making judgements and assigning responsibilities” pending the results of the Lebanese army’s investigation into the incident. The fighting in Lebanon — one of the fronts in the Middle East war — has seen UNIFIL deployed there repeatedly targeted, by both Israeli and Hezbollah forces.Montorio, was caught in an “ambush” as his unit headed to a UNIFIL outpost cut off by fighting and he died from a “direct gunshot”, France’s armed forces minister Catherine Vautrin said on X.He is the second French soldier to die since the start of the war in the Middle East, after an Iranian-designed drone killed Arnaud Frion last month in Iraq’s Kurdistan region. – Possible ‘war crimes’ -His commanding officer, Colonel Jeremy Akil, paid tribute to “an exceptional soldier” who had served in various conflict zones since enlisting in 2007. The 40-year-old father of two daughters was “at the end of his military career” and was due to return to civilian life within months, Akil added.His death came as Lebanon is eyeing the first direct negotiations with Israel in decades, a move Lebanon’s President Joseph Aoun insisted was not a “concession” in an apparent rebuttal of Hezbollah criticism.But senior Hezbollah official Mahmud Qamati on Saturday said that his group was “not concerned with the negotiations being conducted by the state”, saying they were “a failure, weak, defeated… and submissive negotiations”.Aoun condemned the attack and pledged to bring those responsible to justice, while Lebanese Prime Minister Nawaf Salam said he had ordered an investigation.UNIFIL, in an online statement, said the peacekeepers “came under small-arms fire from non-state-actors” as they were “clearing explosive ordnance along a road in the village of Ghanduriyah” to get to the outpost.”Tragically, one peacekeeper succumbed to his injuries and three others were injured, two of them seriously,” it said, adding that it had launched its own investigation into what “may amount to war crimes”.The force patrols in south Lebanon near the Israeli border, where Israel and Hezbollah have been fighting since last month after the Iran-backed militant group drew Lebanon into the Middle East war with rocket fire at Israel in support of its backer Iran.Three Indonesian peacekeepers were killed last month, with a preliminary UN investigation finding one was killed by Israeli tank fire, while the two others were killed by an improvised explosive device likely planted by Hezbollah.Other UNIFIL peacekeepers have also been wounded since the war erupted, and in April, Israeli soldiers destroyed surveillance cameras in UNIFIL’s headquarters, the peacekeeping body said.Last week, an Israeli tank twice rammed peacekeeping vehicles, causing damage but no injuries, according to UNIFIL.UN peacekeepers have served as a buffer between Lebanon and Israel for decades, but their mandate concludes at the end of this year.

Go to Source

Hot this week

Trump Likely To Convene Situation Room Meeting As Iran Threatens US Gulf Bases

Donald Trump to hold Situation Room meeting on Tuesday with top US security officials to weigh military options against Iran amid rising tensions over its nuclear program Go to Source Read More

Dutch PM Rob Jetten raises 2016 abduction case

Dutch PM Rob Jetten pressed India for the return of a young girl who was allegedly abducted by her father in 2016, when she was two years old, from Amsterdam and brought to India. Read More

PM Modi’s visit to Netherlands secures 17 strategic pacts

NEW DELHI: PM Narendra Modi’s visit to the Netherlands ended Sunday with 17 outcomes in all, including agreements on migration and mobility, green hydrogen and defence cooperation. Read More

Cate Blanchett on #MeToo: ‘It got killed very quickly’- WATCH

Cate Blanchett said the #MeToo movement “got killed very quickly” in Hollywood, speaking Sunday at the Cannes Film Festival. Read More

Topics

Trump Likely To Convene Situation Room Meeting As Iran Threatens US Gulf Bases

Donald Trump to hold Situation Room meeting on Tuesday with top US security officials to weigh military options against Iran amid rising tensions over its nuclear program Go to Source Read More

Dutch PM Rob Jetten raises 2016 abduction case

Dutch PM Rob Jetten pressed India for the return of a young girl who was allegedly abducted by her father in 2016, when she was two years old, from Amsterdam and brought to India. Read More

PM Modi’s visit to Netherlands secures 17 strategic pacts

NEW DELHI: PM Narendra Modi’s visit to the Netherlands ended Sunday with 17 outcomes in all, including agreements on migration and mobility, green hydrogen and defence cooperation. Read More

Cate Blanchett on #MeToo: ‘It got killed very quickly’- WATCH

Cate Blanchett said the #MeToo movement “got killed very quickly” in Hollywood, speaking Sunday at the Cannes Film Festival. Read More

‘Michael’ reclaims box office crown; crosses USD 700 million mark

After two weeks trailing ‘The Devil Wears Prada 2’, the Michael Jackson biopic ‘Michael’ reclaimed the No. 1 spot at the North American box office with USD 26. Read More

Barbra Streisand skips Cannes Palme d’Or ceremony after injury

Barbra Streisand announced on Sunday that she will not attend the Cannes Film Festival ‘s closing ceremony later this week where she was to receive an honorary Palme d’Or, after sustaining a knee injury. Read More

Shekhar Suman slams stand-up comedians of today for vulgur comedy

Shekhar Suman has expressed disappointment over the current state of stand-up comedy, saying many modern comedians depend heavily on abusive language and vulgar humour instead of strong writing. Read More

Related Articles