Sunday, May 17, 2026
31.1 C
New Delhi

Families of missing Malaysian pastor and activist win landmark lawsuit against government

Families of missing Malaysian pastor and activist win landmark lawsuit against government

Representative Image

KUALA LUMPUR: The wives of a missing Malaysian Christian pastor and a Muslim activist, both abducted years ago in cases that drew international concern, won a landmark lawsuit after a court ruled the government and police were responsible for the men’s enforced disappearances. The High Court on Wednesday found state involvement in the disappearances of both men and ordered police to reopen investigations into the cases. The decision marked the first judicial recognition in the case of enforced disappearance by Malaysian authorities, who have denied involvement. The attorney-general’s Chambers said Thursday it would appeal the court’s ruling in both cases. Pastor Raymond Koh was seized by a group of masked men in a swift, military-style operation in broad daylight on February 13, 2017 in central Selangor state, in an incident that was captured on CCTV. His whereabouts remain unknown. His family said Koh had received death threats and was under investigation for allegedly proselytising to Muslims before he vanished. Months earlier, Muslim activist Amri Che Mat disappeared under similar circumstances after leaving home in November 2016. Amri had been under watch by religious authorities for allegedly spreading Shiite teachings, a practice that is banned in Malaysia, which recognises only the Sunni branch of Islam. In addition to Koh, Muslims-turned-Christian preachers Joshua Hilmi and his wife Ruth Hilmi disappeared mysteriously six days after Amri in 2016. The disappearances raised fears of religious vigilantism at the time in the predominantly Muslim nation. The court on Wednesday awarded more than 30 million ringgit ($7.2 million) in damages to Koh’s wife, Susanna Liew, and 3 million ringgit ($717,000) to Amri’s wife, Noorhayati Mohamad Ariffin. Liew, who has long campaigned for justice and accountability in the case, called the ruling a “historic and emotional milestone” for the family. She said the ruling affirmed what they had long believed, that police were responsible. Despite earlier findings by Malaysia’s human rights commission and a special government taskforce that a police special branch was behind the disappearances, Liew said the government had taken no action. “Though this will not bring Koh back, it is somewhat a vindication and closure for our family,” she said. Noorhayati separately said she hopes those responsible for Amri’s disappearance will be brought to justice. “There is still frustration because we still don’t have answers … whether Amri Che Mat is alive or dead,” she said. UK-based rights group Christian Solidarity Worldwide hailed the court’s ruling and urged the government to uncover the truth about Koh’s fate and his whereabouts. “This is a landmark decision that demonstrates the judiciary’s independence by holding state actors accountable, and setting a legal precedent for cases involving enforced disappearance,” it said in a statement.

Go to Source

Hot this week

Bob Odenkirk recalls death scare: ‘I was gone. I turned grey’

Bob Odenkirk is opening up like never before about his near-death experience while filming the final season of ‘Better Call Saul’. Read More

Trump Likely To Convene Situation Room Meeting As Iran Threatens US Gulf Bases

Donald Trump to hold Situation Room meeting on Tuesday with top US security officials to weigh military options against Iran amid rising tensions over its nuclear program Go to Source Read More

Dutch PM Rob Jetten raises 2016 abduction case

Dutch PM Rob Jetten pressed India for the return of a young girl who was allegedly abducted by her father in 2016, when she was two years old, from Amsterdam and brought to India. Read More

PM Modi’s visit to Netherlands secures 17 strategic pacts

NEW DELHI: PM Narendra Modi’s visit to the Netherlands ended Sunday with 17 outcomes in all, including agreements on migration and mobility, green hydrogen and defence cooperation. Read More

Topics

Bob Odenkirk recalls death scare: ‘I was gone. I turned grey’

Bob Odenkirk is opening up like never before about his near-death experience while filming the final season of ‘Better Call Saul’. Read More

Trump Likely To Convene Situation Room Meeting As Iran Threatens US Gulf Bases

Donald Trump to hold Situation Room meeting on Tuesday with top US security officials to weigh military options against Iran amid rising tensions over its nuclear program Go to Source Read More

Dutch PM Rob Jetten raises 2016 abduction case

Dutch PM Rob Jetten pressed India for the return of a young girl who was allegedly abducted by her father in 2016, when she was two years old, from Amsterdam and brought to India. Read More

PM Modi’s visit to Netherlands secures 17 strategic pacts

NEW DELHI: PM Narendra Modi’s visit to the Netherlands ended Sunday with 17 outcomes in all, including agreements on migration and mobility, green hydrogen and defence cooperation. Read More

Cate Blanchett on #MeToo: ‘It got killed very quickly’- WATCH

Cate Blanchett said the #MeToo movement “got killed very quickly” in Hollywood, speaking Sunday at the Cannes Film Festival. Read More

‘Michael’ reclaims box office crown; crosses USD 700 million mark

After two weeks trailing ‘The Devil Wears Prada 2’, the Michael Jackson biopic ‘Michael’ reclaimed the No. 1 spot at the North American box office with USD 26. Read More

Barbra Streisand skips Cannes Palme d’Or ceremony after injury

Barbra Streisand announced on Sunday that she will not attend the Cannes Film Festival ‘s closing ceremony later this week where she was to receive an honorary Palme d’Or, after sustaining a knee injury. Read More

Related Articles