Friday, February 20, 2026
17.1 C
New Delhi

Experts independently resurrect Census Bureau advisory committee axed by Trump administration

Experts independently resurrect Census Bureau advisory committee axed by Trump administration

Immigration activists rally outside the Supreme Court (Image credits: AP)

NEW YORK: A US census bureau advisory committee made up of scientific experts that was axed by the Trump administration earlier this year is resurrecting itself and meeting Thursday with no official blessing or formal ties to the statistical agency. The reconstitution of the census scientific advisory committee, rechristened with an “Independent” in front of its name, is a defiant gesture by the research community against the Trump administration’s elimination last winter of three advisory committees made up of outside experts from private industry and academia. Unlike in past meetings, no census bureau staffers will be involved directly or indirectly during Thursday’s conference. “Will our scientific advice still find an ear at the census bureau? I do not know,” said University of North Carolina sociologist Barbara Entwisle, who chairs the committee. “However, it is a certainty that our recommendations will have no effect at all if we do not provide them.” The decision to get the committee members back together is the latest effort by statisticians, demographers and other researchers to challenge statistical-system changes that they see as worrisome since President Donald Trump returned to the White House in January for a second term. Since then, data sets related to gender, sexual orientation, health, climate change and diversity have disappeared from federal websites, and workers and contractors who had been data guardians at statistical agencies either have departed or been forced out by efforts to shrink the federal government. Last month, Trump fired the head of the bureau of labor statistics after the agency made downward revisions to the number of jobs created in the spring. Just last week, the census bureau said it “was not able to renew” a contract that maintained a website for an online community of users for its largest survey of American life. And last month, Trump instructed the commerce department to have the census bureau start work on a new census that would exclude immigrants who are in the United States illegally from the head count, which determines political power and federal spending. The 14th amendment says that “the whole number of persons in each state” are to be counted for the once-a-decade census, and any changes to how the census is conducted requires congressional approval. During a confirmation hearing on Wednesday, Joyce Meyer, who has been nominated to be an under secretary of the commerce department, which oversees the census bureau, dodged a direct question about whether Trump should be able to conduct a new census without Congress changing the law, but said she would comply with the law. Besides the census scientific advisory committee, the US commerce department last winter killed the census advisory committee, which advised on the upcoming 2030 census, and the national advisory committee, which offered insight on how to accurately count and collect data from racial, ethnic and other communities. At the time, US commerce secretary Howard Lutnick said the committees’ purposes “have been fulfilled.” A coalition of civil rights groups were dismayed by the committees’ elimination, describing them in a letter to Lutnick as “a major setback” for the bureau as it prepared for the 2030 census and modernised the work of data collection. “Eliminating these committees … threatens the bureau’s ability to collect accurate, comprehensive demographic and economic data,” they said in the May letter sent by the leadership conference on civil and human rights. Before the committees were eliminated, the census bureau had appointed their members. The agency’s top leaders attended the committees’ biannual meetings and received their recommendations. Members of the advisory committees worked for free except for travel expenses and lodging for meetings. In a statement, the census bureau said Wednesday that the agency gets outside input through a rulemaking process for the federal government that invites the public to make comments. When asked if the census advisory committee might follow the path of the reconstituted scientific panel, Arturo Vargas, its former chairman, said in an email, “We are still discussing options and determining how best to use the scant resources to have the most impact, and exploring how another independent advisory committee is valued added.” Allison Plyer, a past chair of the scientific advisory committee, said that the census bureau has always benefited from the strategic advise of committee members who are experts in their fields. “They don’t have that now,” said Plyer, chief demographer at the data center in New Orleans. “An outside perspective is incredibly important.” Go to Source

Hot this week

‘Garcia legitimate target if …’: Iran tells UN it will respond ‘decisively’ to US aggression

Iran has warned the United States of retaliation if subjected to military aggression, saying all US bases and assets in the region would become “legitimate targets” in such a scenario. Read More

Committed to minority safety: Bangladesh Hindu minister

Nitai Roy Chowdhury, 77, lone Hindu minister in PM Tarique Rahman-led govt and vice-chairman of Bangladesh Nationalist Party’s central committee, said the administration was committed to ensuring the safety of all minorities and restor Read More

Carney’s new challenge: Canada’s oil-rich Alberta eyes control over immigration, plans referendum

Alberta is set to hold a high stakes referendum this autumn to determine if the province should limit the number of new international students, temporary workers, and asylum seekers. Read More

10 UFO Photos That Continue To Fuel Conspiracy Theories

These mysterious images, preserved across decades, continue to fuel speculation about what might be out there. Read More

F-35, F-22 Fighter Jets: US Builds Massive Air Firepower In Middle East, Iran Prepares

The only step remaining is for President Donald Trump to give the final approval for the US military to launch an attack on Iran. Read More

Topics

‘Garcia legitimate target if …’: Iran tells UN it will respond ‘decisively’ to US aggression

Iran has warned the United States of retaliation if subjected to military aggression, saying all US bases and assets in the region would become “legitimate targets” in such a scenario. Read More

Committed to minority safety: Bangladesh Hindu minister

Nitai Roy Chowdhury, 77, lone Hindu minister in PM Tarique Rahman-led govt and vice-chairman of Bangladesh Nationalist Party’s central committee, said the administration was committed to ensuring the safety of all minorities and restor Read More

Carney’s new challenge: Canada’s oil-rich Alberta eyes control over immigration, plans referendum

Alberta is set to hold a high stakes referendum this autumn to determine if the province should limit the number of new international students, temporary workers, and asylum seekers. Read More

10 UFO Photos That Continue To Fuel Conspiracy Theories

These mysterious images, preserved across decades, continue to fuel speculation about what might be out there. Read More

F-35, F-22 Fighter Jets: US Builds Massive Air Firepower In Middle East, Iran Prepares

The only step remaining is for President Donald Trump to give the final approval for the US military to launch an attack on Iran. Read More

No Troops, No Traction? US-Pakistan Ties Strained Over Gaza ISF Plan, Say Sources

Sources indicate the US has pledged to underwrite financial contributions on Pakistan’s behalf, insisting what is required from Islamabad is a troop commitment to the ISF. Read More

Himachal Public Servants Busted Partying In Jaisalmer During Sick Leave, Exposed By Insta Photos

Majra Deputy Tehsildar Inder Kumar and his staff took medical leave but were found holidaying in Jaisalmer. Read More

Five Years Later, X-Ray Reveals Surgical Tool Left Inside Woman After 2021 Surgery In Kerala

Health Minister Veena George said that officials involved in the surgery who are still in government service would be suspended as part of the ongoing investigation. Read More

Related Articles