Monday, August 17, 2026
35 C
New Delhi

‘Expect thousands of Hamas terrorists’: Israel launches ground operation in Gaza – 10 things to know

'Expect thousands of Hamas terrorists': Israel launches ground operation in Gaza - 10 things to know

(Photo credit: AP)

The Israeli military on Tuesday confirmed it has launched a ground offensive in Gaza City “to destroy Hamas’ military infrastructure.”The move comes after a night of heavy airstrikes against northern Gaza killed at least 20 people and left dozens wounded, Israel’s Arabic language spokesperson Avichay Adree posted on X.

Islamic Bloc To Use Diplomacy Against Israel, No Harsh Measure Announced After Emergency Doha Summit

Here are the key developments:

1. Ground offensive begins in Gaza CityTwo Israel Defense Forces (IDF) divisions, comprising tens of thousands of troops, entered Gaza City overnight, marking a new stage in Israel’s offensive against Hamas. Backed by a wave of heavy airstrikes, tanks and soldiers advanced into new neighborhoods beyond areas already under Israeli control, the Times of Israel reported.2. Goal: Dismantle Hamas, free hostagesThe IDF said the operation aims to dismantle Hamas’ military infrastructure and secure the release of hostages still held in Gaza. In the coming weeks, ground troops are expected to push deeper into the city and attempt to encircle it.The military believes thousands of Hamas fighters remain inside the city, alongside civilians who have not evacuated. Despite repeated evacuation calls, Israel estimates about 600,000 people remain in Gaza City. Many residents say moving south is impossible due to overcrowding, high costs of transport, and lack of safe zones. 3. Heavy overnight airstrikesThe IDF carried out five waves of strikes on Gaza City in the past week, hitting more than 500 targets. Earlier on Tuesday morning, Shifa Hospital reported 20 bodies and at least 90 wounded after strikes in western neighborhoods, AP reported.4. ‘Gaza is burning,’ says Israeli ministerIsraeli defense minister Israel Katz said the army was striking Hamas “with an iron fist,” vowing that the “IDF soldiers are fighting bravely to create the necessary conditions for the release of the hostages and the defeat of Hamas.””We will not relent and we will not back down until the mission is accomplished,” Katz added.5. US Secretary of State weighs inBefore leaving Israel for Qatar, US secretary of state Marco Rubio said the offensive was already underway, warning that, “We think we have a very short window of time in which a deal can happen.” “We don’t have months anymore, and we probably have days and maybe a few weeks so it’s a key moment — an important moment,” he said. “Our preference, our No. 1 choice, is that this ends through a negotiated settlement,” he added, while acknowledging the dangers an intensified military campaign posed to Gaza.“The only thing worse than a war is a protracted one that goes on forever and ever,” Rubio added.6. Families of hostages protestRelatives of the 48 remaining hostages, about 20 believed alive, gathered outside Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s residence demanding a halt to the offensive until their loved ones are freed.7. Hamas sets conditionsHamas says it will only release hostages if Israel agrees to a lasting ceasefire, a prisoner swap, and withdrawal from Gaza. Israel has rejected these terms.8. War toll continues to riseThe Gaza war began on October 7, 2023, when Hamas-led militants attacked southern Israel, killing about 1,200 people, mostly civilians, and abducting 251. While most hostages have since been freed through ceasefire deals brokered partly by Qatar, Israel’s retaliatory campaign has killed more than 64,800 Palestinians, according to Gaza’s health ministry, which does not specify how many were civilians or fighters.9. UN accuses Israel of genocideA UN inquiry accused Israel of committing “genocide” in Gaza in a bid to “destroy the Palestinians”. Israel strongly rejected the findings, calling the report “distorted and false” and accusing investigators of echoing “Hamas propaganda.”10. Luxembourg to recognise PalestineLuxembourg announced it will join a growing list of countries recognising the State of Palestine at a United Nations summit in New York next week. French President Emmanuel Macron is spearheading the recognition drive as criticism mounts over Israel’s nearly two-year-long offensive in Gaza.Prime Minister Luc Frieden said the situation in Gaza has worsened in recent months and stressed that a global movement is emerging to reaffirm the two-state solution. Go to Source

Hot this week

No fund for you if you have Islamic wudu washing facilities: Major row over Texas Governor’s warning to two airports

A majo ow bega afte G eg Abbott wa ed two ai po ts ove Islamic wudu wash basi s. Read More

18-year-old Texas student builds ant-based digester, prototype is 83% efficient

A a ya Nage d a, the 18-yea -old Texas stude t (Image C edit: Society Fo Scie ce) Food waste is usually thought of as a p oblem that begi s i the kitche a d e ds i a ga bage bi . Read More

Kay Cottee sailed solo around the world in 189 days, making history

Kay CotteePhoto c edit: The Aust alia Museum Kay Cottee was bo o 25 Ja ua y 1954, the you gest of fou daughte s of Jim a d Joy McLa e . Read More

‘No one will be spared’: Maharashtra FDA chief warns after notice to SRK, Ajay Devgn, Tiger

FDA has issued a fo mal show cause otice to Shah Rukh Kha , Tige Sh off a d Ajay Devg fo thei ole i adve tiseme ts Vimal Elaichi b a d. Read More

Topics

18-year-old Texas student builds ant-based digester, prototype is 83% efficient

A a ya Nage d a, the 18-yea -old Texas stude t (Image C edit: Society Fo Scie ce) Food waste is usually thought of as a p oblem that begi s i the kitche a d e ds i a ga bage bi . Read More

Kay Cottee sailed solo around the world in 189 days, making history

Kay CotteePhoto c edit: The Aust alia Museum Kay Cottee was bo o 25 Ja ua y 1954, the you gest of fou daughte s of Jim a d Joy McLa e . Read More

‘No one will be spared’: Maharashtra FDA chief warns after notice to SRK, Ajay Devgn, Tiger

FDA has issued a fo mal show cause otice to Shah Rukh Kha , Tige Sh off a d Ajay Devg fo thei ole i adve tiseme ts Vimal Elaichi b a d. Read More

‘Will counter propaganda, dispel misconceptions’: Newly appointed BJP IT cell chief Deepak Mhaske

NEW DELHI: Bha atiya Ja ata Pa ty’s ewly appoi ted IT cell chief Deepak Mhaske o Mo day said that the pa ty’s social media team will co ti ue to p ovide ight a swe s a d dispel people’s misco ceptio s. Read More

Who is Deepak Mhaskey, academic who replaced BJP IT cell chief Amit Malviya

Chemist y p ofesso Deepak Mhaskey takes cha ge of BJP’s social media depa tme t afte Amit Malviya’s 11-yea sti t. Read More

10 Women In BJP’s New National Team: Who Are They?

The Bha atiya Ja ata Pa ty (BJP) o Mo day a ou ced its ew atio al team u de pa ty p eside t Niti Nabi , with 10 wome . Read More

Related Articles