Monday, May 18, 2026
40.1 C
New Delhi

Bondi beach attack: Shooters inspired by IS, under went military style training — What cops revealed

Bondi beach attack: Shooters inspired by IS, under went military style training — What cops revealed

(Bondi beach attack)

Australian authorities say the mass shooting that killed 15 people at a Hanukkah celebration at Sydney’s Bondi Beach was a terrorist attack inspired by Islamic State ideology, carried out by a father and son originally from Pakistan.Federal Police Commissioner Krissy Barrett confirmed on Tuesday that investigators now believe the attack was ideologically motivated, following the recovery of Islamic State-linked material and improvised explosive devices. Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said the assessment was based on evidence seized during the investigation, including flags and online material connected to the extremist group.

Australian Hero Ahmed’s Stunning 1st Message From Hospital Bed After Sydney Heroic; ‘Will Repeat…’

Also read: Father-son duo visited Philippines – What we know about Pakistan-origin shootersThe victims ranged in age from 10 to 87 and included a British-born rabbi, a Holocaust survivor, a retired police officer and a 10-year-old girl.

IPL Auction 2026

Twenty-five people remain in hospital, several in critical condition, including children.

Suspects, ideology and prior intelligence checks

The suspects were identified as Sajid Akram, 50, who was shot dead by police at the scene, and his son Naveed Akram, 24, who remains under guard in hospital. Authorities say the pair deliberately targeted Jewish attendees in what was intended to be a mass-casualty attack.Also read: Shooter spoke to mother hours before Bondi beach attackAlbanese said the gunmen appeared to have been radicalised by “an ideology of hate” aligned with Islamic State. Investigators found two homemade IS flags draped over a vehicle used in the attack, along with improvised explosive devices.

What happened during Bondi beach attack?

What happened during Bondi beach attack?

Australian intelligence agency ASIO had previously investigated Naveed Akram in 2019 over associations with individuals linked to a Sydney-based pro-IS network. He was interviewed, along with family members, but was not assessed as posing an imminent threat at the time. Authorities insist there was no intelligence failure and that neither man was on a terrorism watchlist before the attack.Sajid Akram legally owned six firearms and held a licence for recreational hunting. Several of those weapons were taken to Bondi Beach. The revelations have renewed scrutiny of gun licensing, with Albanese and state leaders pledging the most significant tightening of Australia’s gun laws since the 1996 Port Arthur massacre.

Philippines trip and alleged militant training

Investigators are also examining a trip the pair took to the Philippines in November, weeks before the attack. Philippine immigration authorities confirmed that Sajid Akram travelled on an Indian passport, while his son used an Australian passport. Both declared the southern city of Davao as their destination.Australian security sources cited by ABC Australia, said the men may have undergone “military-style training” during their visit, though Philippine authorities have said there is no immediate confirmation of such activity. Islamist militant groups have previously operated in parts of southern Mindanao, although officials say their capabilities have been significantly degraded in recent years.NSW Police Commissioner Mal Lanyon said no security alert was triggered by the trip and that the purpose of the visit remains under investigation. Counter-terrorism officers later searched a short-term rental in Sydney where the men had been staying and recovered additional firearms.

Heroes, mourning and national response

Several civilians were praised for intervening during the attack. Ahmed al Ahmed, a Syrian-born shop owner, was filmed tackling and disarming one gunman before being shot multiple times. Albanese visited him in hospital, calling him “a true Australian hero”.Bondi Beach lifeguards also rushed towards the gunfire to assist victims, while police officers were wounded confronting the attackers. Go to Source

Hot this week

Texas man films Indian grocery store keeping food items out in the open, owner says he’s a Trump voter

The owner of an Indian grocery store in Texas speaks to a man who has been filming his store and accusing him of safety violations. Read More

PM Modi Invites Norwegian Firms To Invest In India Under $100 Billion EFTA Pact

PM Modi attended the India-Norway Business and Research Summit during which he highlighted India’s goal to bring in $100 billion of investment from EFTA. Read More

Trump Administration Extends Russian Seaborne Oil Sanctions Waiver By 30 Days

Washington said the extension would provide “additional flexibility” and help ensure oil reaches “the most energy-vulnerable countries. Read More

Satadru Dutta Files Case Against Former Bengal Sports Minister, Ex-DG Over Messi Event Chaos

Satadru Datta was arrested in connection with the chaotic Messi event in Kolkata’s Salt Lake Stadium and spent 37 days in custody before securing bail. Read More

From Varanasi To Srinagar, Water Metro Services In 18 Cities Soon

Under Phase I, cities including Guwahati, Srinagar, Patna, Varanasi, Ayodhya and Prayagraj have been identified for the introduction of Water Metro services. Read More

Topics

Texas man films Indian grocery store keeping food items out in the open, owner says he’s a Trump voter

The owner of an Indian grocery store in Texas speaks to a man who has been filming his store and accusing him of safety violations. Read More

PM Modi Invites Norwegian Firms To Invest In India Under $100 Billion EFTA Pact

PM Modi attended the India-Norway Business and Research Summit during which he highlighted India’s goal to bring in $100 billion of investment from EFTA. Read More

Trump Administration Extends Russian Seaborne Oil Sanctions Waiver By 30 Days

Washington said the extension would provide “additional flexibility” and help ensure oil reaches “the most energy-vulnerable countries. Read More

Satadru Dutta Files Case Against Former Bengal Sports Minister, Ex-DG Over Messi Event Chaos

Satadru Datta was arrested in connection with the chaotic Messi event in Kolkata’s Salt Lake Stadium and spent 37 days in custody before securing bail. Read More

From Varanasi To Srinagar, Water Metro Services In 18 Cities Soon

Under Phase I, cities including Guwahati, Srinagar, Patna, Varanasi, Ayodhya and Prayagraj have been identified for the introduction of Water Metro services. Read More

Andy Grammer and Aijia announce baby no. 3

Singer-songwriter Andy Grammer and his wife Aijia are no strangers to parenting. Read More

Dancer reveals why Saroj Khan never worked with Karisma again

Years before delivering one of the most memorable performances of her career in Dil To Pagal Hai, Karisma Kapoor reportedly took on the challenge of starring opposite Madhuri Dixit at a time when several leading actresses were hesitan Read More

US Ready To Release 25% Of Iran’s Frozen Funds, Trump Softens Stand On Oil Sanctions

Show Quick Read Key points generated by AI, verified by newsroom Pakistan’s Interior Minister visited Tehran amid stalled US-Iran talks. Read More

Related Articles