Wednesday, February 18, 2026
19 C
New Delhi

‘Bodies kept coming’: 132 killed in Brazil’s deadliest police operation against drug gangs; how it unfolded

‘Bodies kept coming’: 132 killed in Brazil’s deadliest police operation against drug gangs; how it unfolded

AP file photo

At least 132 people were killed in what authorities described as Brazil’s largest police operation against drug gangs, officials said on Wednesday. In Rio de Janeiro, residents lined a street with dozens of bodies recovered overnight following the raids.The bodies of the men were placed in a single row along the pavement of a square on the outskirts of Rio de Janeiro. Residents said many were stripped to their underwear to help relatives identify them, while others were covered with bedsheets.

How it unfolded

Brazil’s state police said the raids, aimed at dismantling a major drug gang, had been planned over two months and were intended to force suspects into a forested hillside, where a special operations unit was positioned to intercept them.“The elevated lethality of the operation was expected but not desired,” Victor Santos, Rio state’s head of security, said at a news conference, as cited by Reuters. He added that authorities would investigate any instances of police “misconduct.”Residents of Rio’s Penha neighborhood collected dozens of bodies from the surrounding forest overnight and placed more than 70 of them along the center of a main street. “More bodies kept coming,” Rene Silva, a community leader from the neighborhood where the raids took place, was quoted as saying by the New York Times. He estimated that volunteers recovered between 50 and 60 bodies through the night. “Mothers, wives, children were there, crying,” Silva added. Uncertainty remained over how the large-scale operation unfolded and whether civilians were among the victims. An official later acknowledged that the operation had not achieved its primary goal of capturing a top gang leader.President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva reportedly dispatched a ministerial committee to Rio de Janeiro on Wednesday and pledged federal support for the forensic investigation.”We cannot accept that organized crime continues to destroy families, oppress residents, and spread drugs and violence throughout the cities,” Lula said through a post on X. Rio state governor Cláudio Castro described the raids as a “success”, as he cited the arrests of 113 alleged members of the Red Command gang, along with the seizure of 118 weapons and a considerable amount of drugs.Castro said the operation was intended to curb the Red Command’s growing influence and prevent the gang from expanding its control over larger parts of the city.The latest raids marked the deadliest police operation in Brazil’s history. The previous highest death toll was recorded in 2021, when 28 people were killed during a police anti-drug raid in Rio’s Jacarezinho neighborhood.

Go to Source

Hot this week

‘AI will never function in India without a human in the loop’: AI start-up founders to Firstpost

At the India AI Impact Summit 2026, startup leaders from KOGO AI and Arinox AI told Firstpost that India’s strength lies in AI applications and agentic systems rather than foundational models. Read More

‘There isn’t any conflict’: JD Vance dismisses rift with Marco Rubio amid 2028 election speculation

Vice President Vance dismissed speculation of a “conflict” between him and Secretary of State Marco Rubio, amid reports that both men were considering presidential runs in 2028. Read More

Try This Recipe For Easy & Healthy Finger Millet Tikkis By Chef Varun Inamdar

Ragi is an ancient grain that is naturally gluten-free and is widely cultivated in India, Africa, and Sri Lanka. Read More

8 Easy Iftar Drinks To Feel Light And Refreshed

After a day of fasting, a light and refreshing drink can revive your energy without feeling heavy. Read More

First propaganda, then damage control: How Galgotias University walked back its claim over robodog row

NEW DELHI: Galgotias University on Wednesday issued an apology and went into damage control, pinning the entire blame on the Professor who was tasked with manning the pavilion, after a massive controversy erupted over its false claims Read More

Topics

‘AI will never function in India without a human in the loop’: AI start-up founders to Firstpost

At the India AI Impact Summit 2026, startup leaders from KOGO AI and Arinox AI told Firstpost that India’s strength lies in AI applications and agentic systems rather than foundational models. Read More

‘There isn’t any conflict’: JD Vance dismisses rift with Marco Rubio amid 2028 election speculation

Vice President Vance dismissed speculation of a “conflict” between him and Secretary of State Marco Rubio, amid reports that both men were considering presidential runs in 2028. Read More

Try This Recipe For Easy & Healthy Finger Millet Tikkis By Chef Varun Inamdar

Ragi is an ancient grain that is naturally gluten-free and is widely cultivated in India, Africa, and Sri Lanka. Read More

8 Easy Iftar Drinks To Feel Light And Refreshed

After a day of fasting, a light and refreshing drink can revive your energy without feeling heavy. Read More

First propaganda, then damage control: How Galgotias University walked back its claim over robodog row

NEW DELHI: Galgotias University on Wednesday issued an apology and went into damage control, pinning the entire blame on the Professor who was tasked with manning the pavilion, after a massive controversy erupted over its false claims Read More

‘Modi Opened The Doors For India’: Serbian President Vučić Hails PM’s Charisma, Statecraft

Hailing India’s foreign policy, Serbian President Vučić said, “…At the end, all doors, gates are opened…That is serious statecraft. Read More

From 10K to 30K: France Plans Threefold Jump In Indian Student Intake By 2030

Macron announced France aims to host 30k Indian students annually by 2030, with simplified visa rules and deeper academic ties, jointly decided with PM Modi. Read More

Ishan Kishan’s Comeback: Three Players Under Threat In India ODI Squad

Based on current form, wicket-keeper batter Ishan Kishan is primarily positioned to replace Rishabh Pant in India’s ODI setup, leading into early 2026. Read More

Related Articles