Wednesday, February 18, 2026
16.1 C
New Delhi

$100 million theft: Suspect in ‘largest jewelry heist in US history’ deported, avoids trial

$100 million theft: Suspect in ‘largest jewelry heist in US history’ deported, avoids trial

Representative image

A man, suspected in what is said to be the “largest heist” escaped prosecution in in US by self deporting. The man accused was deported to Ecuador late last month, effectively bringing the case against him to an abrupt standstill, according to recent court filings, as reported recently by LA Times.Jeson Nelon Presilla Flores was among seven individuals indicted last year over a 2022 theft targeting a Brinks semitrailer at a truck stop in Grapevine. Authorities allege the group made off with approximately $100 million in gold, diamonds, rubies, emeralds, and high-end watches. The probe has stretched across international borders, leading investigators to pursue leads worldwide, arrest one suspect in Panama, and examine suspected connections to Ecuador. A large share of the stolen property is still missing.If convicted of conspiracy and theft involving interstate and foreign shipments, Flores could have faced a prison term of up to 15 years. He entered a plea of not guilty. The prosecution took an unexpected turn when US Immigration and Customs Enforcement deported Flores on or around December 29, his lawyer, John D Robertson, said. In a motion filed January 9 requesting that the charges be dismissed, Robertson stated he had only recently learned that his client had been removed from the US. “When a defendant in a major federal theft case leaves the country before trial, victims are left without answers, without a verdict, and without closure,” said Jerry Kroll, an attorney representing several of the jewelry companies, quoted by LA TImes.“For our clients — jewelers who lost their life’s work — this outcome exposes a gap in the system that deserves transparency. They are entitled to clear answers about how this happened and whether safeguards exist to prevent it from happening again.”According to court documents, Flores, a lawful permanent resident, had been in ICE custody since September and chose deportation. At a December 16 immigration hearing, Flores relinquished his rights and sought voluntary departure to Chile. Although the immigration judge rejected that request, a final removal order was later issued, and ICE deported him to Ecuador toward the end of December.While deportations can occur even when criminal charges are pending, the scale of the alleged theft has prompted scrutiny over how the situation was handled.Robertson contended that the government had effectively abandoned its prosecution of Flores. The attorney, who did not respond to requests for comment, asked the judge to dismiss the case with prejudice, which would bar the charges from being filed again. A ruling has not yet been issued.Federal prosecutors pushed back, stating they were not aware in advance that Flores would be deported and that they still intend to pursue the case should he return to the US.The high-profile jewelry theft took place in July 2022, after the suspects allegedly tracked a Brinks truck departing an international jewelry exhibition near San Francisco carrying dozens of bags of valuables, according to the indictment. While victims estimated their losses at more than $100 million, Brinks has maintained that the stolen goods were worth under $10 million. In a lawsuit, the security company said one driver was asleep inside the truck while the other had gone inside the rest stop for food when the break-in occurred.

Go to Source

Hot this week

Is Donald Trump eyeing social media ban for teens? Daughter-in-law Lara says he’s ‘very interested’

Amid rising global push to regulate online platforms for minors due to concerns over addictive algorithms, online bullying and mental health risks, US President Donald Trump has shown a keen “interest” in the idea of restricting socia Read More

Space regulator IN-SPACe announces Rs 6 crore seed fund for startups developing AI applications

IN-SPACe director Vinod Kumar NEW DELHI: Space promoter and regulator IN-SPACe on Wednesday announced an AI inspired seed fund scheme of Rs 6 crore for startups or people interested in developing AI applications in the space sector. Read More

Aunties to play matchmakers for single Americans: Singapore’s new tourism campaign replaces dating apps

Singapore has launched a state-backed tourism campaign inviting single Americans to step away from dating apps and try human-led matchmaking, with so-called “aunties” selecting their first date instead of algorithms. Read More

Germany’s Merz backs proposal to ban social media for under-14s

German Chancellor Friedrich Merz has voiced his “sympathy” for a proposal to ban social media use for children under 14, ahead of discussions among governing politicians starting Friday Go to Source Read More

Do not give away Diego Garcia, Trump tells UK

The US president says “it will be a blight on our great ally” if the islands are handed over to Mauritius. Read More

Topics

Is Donald Trump eyeing social media ban for teens? Daughter-in-law Lara says he’s ‘very interested’

Amid rising global push to regulate online platforms for minors due to concerns over addictive algorithms, online bullying and mental health risks, US President Donald Trump has shown a keen “interest” in the idea of restricting socia Read More

Space regulator IN-SPACe announces Rs 6 crore seed fund for startups developing AI applications

IN-SPACe director Vinod Kumar NEW DELHI: Space promoter and regulator IN-SPACe on Wednesday announced an AI inspired seed fund scheme of Rs 6 crore for startups or people interested in developing AI applications in the space sector. Read More

Aunties to play matchmakers for single Americans: Singapore’s new tourism campaign replaces dating apps

Singapore has launched a state-backed tourism campaign inviting single Americans to step away from dating apps and try human-led matchmaking, with so-called “aunties” selecting their first date instead of algorithms. Read More

Germany’s Merz backs proposal to ban social media for under-14s

German Chancellor Friedrich Merz has voiced his “sympathy” for a proposal to ban social media use for children under 14, ahead of discussions among governing politicians starting Friday Go to Source Read More

Do not give away Diego Garcia, Trump tells UK

The US president says “it will be a blight on our great ally” if the islands are handed over to Mauritius. Read More

INS Krishna launched: Navy cadets to get ‘floating classrooms’ for sea training

Anupama Chauhan, wife of CDS General Anil Chauhan, launched INS Krishna in the presence of CDS himself and senior officials of the armed forces and ship-builder Larsen & Toubro (L&T) in Chennai NEW DELHI: Indian naval cadets will no Read More

Justice remains ‘inaccessible’ for ‘Persons with Disabilities’, says NCPEDP study

AI-generated image NEW DELHI: From inaccessible police stations and a policing system inadequately equipped to respond to concerns of persons with disabilities (PwDs) to inaccessible courtrooms and the justice system lacking crucial Read More

Vijay’s Hyderabad home lights up amid wedding with Rashmika

Speculation around the relationship status of Vijay Deverakonda and Rashmika Mandanna has once again taken centre stage on social media. Read More

Related Articles