Sunday, May 24, 2026
37.1 C
New Delhi

Shaksgam valley row: ‘Entire PoK belongs to India,’ says Ladakh LG; rejects China’s claim

Shaksgam valley row: ‘Entire PoK belongs to India,’ says Ladakh LG; rejects China’s claim

NEW DELHI: Ladakh lieutenant governor Kavinder Gupta on Tuesday rejected China’s claim over the Shaksgam valley, asserting that the entire region of Pakistan-occupied Kashmir belongs to India and warning that no expansionist attempt would be tolerated.China on Monday reaffirmed its territorial claims over the Shaksgam valley amid India’s objections, maintaining that Chinese infrastructure projects in the area are “beyond reproach”.“The whole of (Pakistan-occupied) Kashmir is ours. We do not know what Pakistan has traded with China. China should understand that nothing will be achieved through its expansionist policy. India is capable. It is not the India of 1962, it is the India of 2026. Any such attempts will be foiled. The Ministry of External Affairs is taking cognisance of it,” Gupta told reporters here.He said China must realise that India today is far stronger than it was in the past and recalled that Beijing had earlier laid claims on parts of Arunachal Pradesh as well.Taking aim at Pakistan, the lieutenant governor alleged that the neighbouring country had failed its own people and was engaging in questionable dealings. “Pakistan is a state kept on sale. It has no concern for its sovereignty or its own people. Voices are being raised in Balochistan, Sindh and Karachi, and atrocities are being committed by the Pakistan Army there. Those areas are virtually being run by the Army,” Gupta said.Gupta also cautioned against making provocative statements on sensitive issues, noting that there is a clear parliamentary position on PoK. “Such statements should not be made which are provocative in nature. There is a Parliament resolution of 1994 which clearly states that the entire PoK belongs to India,” he said.Reacting to a recent statement by the Army chief that ‘Operation Sindoor’ is ongoing, Gupta said the armed forces enjoy complete national support. “The entire country stands with the Army. The Army chief has given a responsible statement and I welcome it,” he said.Responding to allegations by some regional leaders in Jammu and Kashmir about unrest in Ladakh, the lieutenant governor dismissed the claims, asserting that the region is progressing rapidly. “Ladakh is moving at a fast pace on the path of development. Ladakhis are united, fully nationalistic, and they fully support the government in all development work,” he said.Highlighting the increase in budgetary allocations, Gupta said Ladakh has seen a sharp rise in funding. “I want to convey to those leaders to mind their own business. This is not the Ladakh of the past, which was given a budget of Rs 150 crore. Today, Ladakh has a budget of around Rs 6,000 crore,” he added.India last Friday criticised China’s infrastructure development projects in the Shaksgam valley, saying it reserves the right to take necessary measures to safeguard its interests as the area is Indian territory. Pakistan illegally ceded 5,180 sq km of Indian territory in the Shaksgam valley to China in 1963 from areas illegally occupied by it.

Go to Source

Hot this week

Sub-inspector among 6 cops suspended over explosives on PM Modi convoy route in Bengaluru

BENGALURU: Six police officers, including a sub-inspector, have been suspended for security lapse during Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to the Art of Living (AOL) Foundation in the Karnataka capital on May 10. Read More

1.5 lakh fake AI citations slipped into scientific record in 2025: Study

Suggests Several Researchers Copying Them Without Check BENGALURU: A surge of AI-generated fake citations has entered scientific literature, with a new study estimating that about 1. Read More

Olivia Dean brings the curtain down on Radio 1’s Big Weekend with ‘magic’ set

The British pop star has closed out a star-studded line-up at Big Weekend, which also included Fatboy Slim and Zara Larsson. Read More

‘He was never…’: WH shooter’s mother breaks silence after seeing son’s death on social media

The mother of the man shot dead by Secret Service officers near the White House has said she was left shocked after learning about the incident online, insisting her son “was never violent”. Read More

Government brings in experts from IITs & PSBs to fix glitches in CBSE portal

NEW DELHI: Union education minister Dharmendra Pradhan has sought a detailed report from Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) after widespread complaints from students and parents over technical glitches during the post-result Read More

Topics

Sub-inspector among 6 cops suspended over explosives on PM Modi convoy route in Bengaluru

BENGALURU: Six police officers, including a sub-inspector, have been suspended for security lapse during Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to the Art of Living (AOL) Foundation in the Karnataka capital on May 10. Read More

1.5 lakh fake AI citations slipped into scientific record in 2025: Study

Suggests Several Researchers Copying Them Without Check BENGALURU: A surge of AI-generated fake citations has entered scientific literature, with a new study estimating that about 1. Read More

Olivia Dean brings the curtain down on Radio 1’s Big Weekend with ‘magic’ set

The British pop star has closed out a star-studded line-up at Big Weekend, which also included Fatboy Slim and Zara Larsson. Read More

‘He was never…’: WH shooter’s mother breaks silence after seeing son’s death on social media

The mother of the man shot dead by Secret Service officers near the White House has said she was left shocked after learning about the incident online, insisting her son “was never violent”. Read More

Government brings in experts from IITs & PSBs to fix glitches in CBSE portal

NEW DELHI: Union education minister Dharmendra Pradhan has sought a detailed report from Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) after widespread complaints from students and parents over technical glitches during the post-result Read More

How a con woman used sharia law to dupe investors of Rs 6,000 crore

NEW DELHI: ED has come across a case where the prime targets of a scam were Muslims following sharia law, which prohibits earning interest on investments. Read More

India can always count on me: Donald Trump

NEW DELHI: India and the US had never been closer, US President Donald Trump told Sergio Gor in the middle of the US Independence Day celebrations, ‘Freedom 250’, attended by secretary of state Marco Rubio and external af Read More

‘The Mandalorian and Grogu’ tops box office with USD 165 mn haul

After nearly seven years away from the big screen, a new Star Wars movie drew healthy but not record-breaking crowds to global theaters this weekend. Read More

Related Articles