Sunday, May 24, 2026
32.1 C
New Delhi

‘Remember standing on those grounds’: Astronaut Shubhanshu Shukla recalls Moon journey, hails Artemis II launch

'Remember standing on those grounds': Astronaut Shubhanshu Shukla recalls Moon journey, hails Artemis II launch

NEW DELHI: Shubhanshu Shukla hailed the Artemis II launch on Thursday which sent 4 astronauts around the Moon, while recalling his humbling experience of “standing on those very grounds for the first time”.”I remember standing on those very grounds for the first time, feeling humbled by what it represents. It is the same ground from which Neil Armstrong began humanity’s first journey to the Moon. The same place where Peggy Whitson, the most experienced American astronaut and my commander, launched on her first mission to space. And today, it becomes the starting point for yet another chapter in our shared story of exploration,” he said in a post on X.Hailing the Nasa mission, he said, “After 54 years, four astronauts have once again commenced their journey around the Moon, a moment that feels both historic and deeply personal. Today, they launched aboard the Space Launch System from Kennedy Space Center , a place where the weight of history is almost tangible.””During my own training, I had the privilege of watching these astronauts prepare for this mission, and even meeting two of them personally. To see them now on the cusp of such a remarkable journey is both inspiring and moving. As they lift off, they do so not just as individuals, but as representatives of all humanity. Their mission carries the hopes and dreams of people across the world. I wish them courage, success, and safe passage, knowing that all of us are looking up, rooting for them every step of the way,” he added. The Artemis II crew comprises Nasa astronauts Reid Wiseman, Victor Glover and Christina Koch, alongside Canadian astronaut Jeremy Hansen. Together, they are undertaking a roughly 10-day mission that will take them around the Moon and back, venturing farther into space than humans have traveled in decades. Following nearly three years of intensive preparation, this team becomes the first to fly under Nasa’s Artemis programme, an initiative launched in 2017 to establish a sustained human presence on the Moon and pave the way for future deep-space exploration. The mission also represents a major milestone for Nasa’s Space Launch System (SLS), a heavy-lift rocket that has been in development for over a decade.

Go to Source

Hot this week

‘He got arrogant’: Magnus Carlsen slammed for stepping away from World Championship cycle

Former world champion has criticised Magnus Carlsen for stepping away from the World Chess Championship cycle, calling it arrogance and saying the Norwegian star made a mistake after dominating classical chess for years. Read More

White House gunfire scare: Footage shows journalists running for shelter

Tension gripped the White House complex on Sunday after series of gunfire were heard near the presidential compound, forcing journalists to rush into secure shelter areas while heavily armed law enforcement personnel sealed off parts Read More

SpaceX’s Starship flight hits most targets in pre-IPO test

STARBASE: SpaceX completed a largely successful test flight of its next-generation Starship rocket on Friday, deploying a clutch of mock satellites and executing a controlled splashdown in the Indian Ocean in a high-stakes debut of th Read More

Two people shot in Secret Service gun encounter near the White House, suspect taken to hospital

Two people were shot during an encounter with Secret Service near the White House on Saturday, sparking concerns about the safety of US President Donald Trump. Read More

Iran Israel War Live Updates: Trump says US-Iran agreement is ‘largely negotiated’, details to be announced soon

Iran Israel War Live Updates: US President Donald Trump said a deal with Iran had been “largely negotiated,” with the proposal including opening the crucial Strait of Hormuz, though the agreement was “subject to finalisation. Read More

Topics

‘He got arrogant’: Magnus Carlsen slammed for stepping away from World Championship cycle

Former world champion has criticised Magnus Carlsen for stepping away from the World Chess Championship cycle, calling it arrogance and saying the Norwegian star made a mistake after dominating classical chess for years. Read More

White House gunfire scare: Footage shows journalists running for shelter

Tension gripped the White House complex on Sunday after series of gunfire were heard near the presidential compound, forcing journalists to rush into secure shelter areas while heavily armed law enforcement personnel sealed off parts Read More

SpaceX’s Starship flight hits most targets in pre-IPO test

STARBASE: SpaceX completed a largely successful test flight of its next-generation Starship rocket on Friday, deploying a clutch of mock satellites and executing a controlled splashdown in the Indian Ocean in a high-stakes debut of th Read More

Two people shot in Secret Service gun encounter near the White House, suspect taken to hospital

Two people were shot during an encounter with Secret Service near the White House on Saturday, sparking concerns about the safety of US President Donald Trump. Read More

Iran Israel War Live Updates: Trump says US-Iran agreement is ‘largely negotiated’, details to be announced soon

Iran Israel War Live Updates: US President Donald Trump said a deal with Iran had been “largely negotiated,” with the proposal including opening the crucial Strait of Hormuz, though the agreement was “subject to finalisation. Read More

Heavenly, Dramatic And Unmissable: Aishwarya Rai Bachchan’s Stunning Cannes 2026 Red Carpet Looks

From regal whites to dramatic silhouettes, Aishwarya Rai Bachchan once again turned Cannes 2026 into her personal runway and left the internet completely mesmerised. Read More

Site, web accounts blocked, says Cockroach Janta Party founder

NEW DELHI: Cockroach Janta Party (CJP), the online satirical movement, claimed another setback on Saturday after founder Abhijeet Dipke said the outfit’s official website had been taken down by the Centre, days after its main X Read More

217 Indians joined Russian army, 49 dead, Centre tells SC

Russian army soldiers (Image credit: AP) NEW DELHI: Union govt has told SC that as many as 217 Indians had joined Russian forces, of which 49 died and six are missing in action in the ongoing Russia-Ukraine war. Read More

Related Articles