Wednesday, May 20, 2026
37.1 C
New Delhi

No Ebola cases reported in India yet; government ramps up surveillance after WHO alert

No Ebola cases reported in India yet; government ramps up surveillance after WHO alert

AP file photo

The government on Wednesday said that no cases of Ebola have been reported in the country so far, according to sources cited by ANI.The ministry of health and family welfare said that no case of Ebola has been detected in India so far, while adding that surveillance and preparedness measures have been strengthened nationwide following the WHO’s declaration of Ebola as a public health emergency of international concern.A high-level review meeting chaired by union health secretary Punya Salila Srivastava was held with health secretaries of all states and Union Territories to assess preparedness and response measures related to Ebola Virus Disease (EVD).During the meeting, states and Union Territories were advised to maintain preparedness at all levels. The Centre said detailed Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) covering pre-arrival and post-arrival screening, quarantine protocols, case management, referral systems and laboratory testing have already been shared with all states and UTs.Srivastava stressed the need for coordinated surveillance, timely reporting and preparedness at designated healthcare facilities during the review meeting. The government said all concerned ministries and departments have been sensitised and are carrying out preventive and surveillance measures in coordination with the health ministry.The ministry also noted that India has prior experience in handling such situations, including during the 2014 Ebola outbreak in Africa, when similar precautionary measures were implemented successfully. The Ebola virus is highly contagious and spreads through contact with bodily fluids such as blood, vomit and semen. Common symptoms include fever, vomiting, diarrhoea, muscle pain and, in severe cases, internal and external bleeding.WHO has declared the outbreak a Public Health Emergency of International Concern and raised concerns over its “scale and speed.” The WHO’s representative in Congo has warned that the outbreak could continue for at least another two months.Health officials said the outbreak involves the rare Bundibugyo strain of Ebola, which reportedly spread undetected for weeks after initial tests for a more common Ebola strain returned negative results.Investigations are still underway to determine when and where the outbreak began. “Given the scale, we are thinking that it has started probably a couple of months ago,” said Anaïs Legand, a technical officer in the WHO emergencies programme, as cited by AP.So far 51 cases have been confirmed in Congo’s northern provinces of Ituri and North Kivu, along with two confirmed cases in Uganda. In addition, authorities are tracking 139 suspected deaths and nearly 600 suspected cases linked to the outbreak.

Go to Source

Hot this week

Raúl Castro Indicted In US: All About The Last Cuban President

US indicts former Cuban president Raúl Castro in Florida over 1996 downing of two civilian planes, urges Cubans to embrace a new path, highlighting his long rule and reforms. Read More

Giorgia Meloni And PM Modi’s Viral ‘Melody’ Instagram Reel Reaches 120 Million Views

Giorgia Meloni goes viral as an Instagram reel tops 120 million views, featuring her with PM Modi and fueling the Melodi trend, highlighting her growing global digital influence. Read More

Omar govt orders inquiry into demolition drive in Jammu to free forest land of illegal occupation

. SRINAGAR/JAMMU: The Omar Abdullah govt Wednesday constituted a two-member committee to investigate the demolitions carried out in Jammu’s Sidhra area a day earlier to free forest land of alleged encroachments. Read More

From strategic partnership upgrade to defence roadmap: Key outcomes of PM Modi–Meloni meeting in Rome

Modi and Meloni meeting India and Italy on Wednesday elevated their relationship to a Special Strategic Partnership as Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni held extensive talks in Rome. Read More

Why Rising Gold Prices Are Changing Spending Plans

Show Quick Read Key points generated by AI, verified by newsroom Indian families are buying less gold due to high prices. Wedding budgets are adjusted for practical financial comfort. Read More

Topics

Raúl Castro Indicted In US: All About The Last Cuban President

US indicts former Cuban president Raúl Castro in Florida over 1996 downing of two civilian planes, urges Cubans to embrace a new path, highlighting his long rule and reforms. Read More

Giorgia Meloni And PM Modi’s Viral ‘Melody’ Instagram Reel Reaches 120 Million Views

Giorgia Meloni goes viral as an Instagram reel tops 120 million views, featuring her with PM Modi and fueling the Melodi trend, highlighting her growing global digital influence. Read More

Omar govt orders inquiry into demolition drive in Jammu to free forest land of illegal occupation

. SRINAGAR/JAMMU: The Omar Abdullah govt Wednesday constituted a two-member committee to investigate the demolitions carried out in Jammu’s Sidhra area a day earlier to free forest land of alleged encroachments. Read More

From strategic partnership upgrade to defence roadmap: Key outcomes of PM Modi–Meloni meeting in Rome

Modi and Meloni meeting India and Italy on Wednesday elevated their relationship to a Special Strategic Partnership as Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni held extensive talks in Rome. Read More

Why Rising Gold Prices Are Changing Spending Plans

Show Quick Read Key points generated by AI, verified by newsroom Indian families are buying less gold due to high prices. Wedding budgets are adjusted for practical financial comfort. Read More

Adnan Sami reacts to trolling over meeting RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat

Singer Adnan Sami has never shied away from speaking his mind, and the musician has once again addressed the trolling surrounding him with complete honesty. Read More

Trump Says He Could Be Israel PM, Claims Netanyahu ‘Will Do Whatever I Want’

Show Quick Read Key points generated by AI, verified by newsroom Trump claims 99% popularity in Israel, considers prime minister role. He expressed no urgency to finalize an Iran agreement. Read More

AIFF rejects licence applications of Mohun Bagan, Kerala Blasters; Seven clubs approved with sanctions

The All India Football Federation granted club licences with sanctions to seven ISL clubs for the 2026-27 season, while applications from Mohun Bagan Super Giant and Kerala Blasters FC were rejected. Read More

Related Articles