Wednesday, February 18, 2026
16.1 C
New Delhi

‘Naga flag, constitution must’: Muivah returns to birthplace after 50 years; rejects government deals with other factions

‘Naga flag, constitution must’: Muivah returns to birthplace after 50 years; rejects government deals with other factions

Thuingaleng Muivah (L), protestors (R) (File photos)

NEW DELHI: NSCN(IM) on Wednesday said that a Naga national flag and constitution was non-negotiable, and any agreement signed by the central government with Naga groups other than it will not be recognised.Speaking in Manipur’s Ukhrul district and reading out a message from Thuingaleng Muivah, the general secretary of the separatist outfit, who was visiting his birthplace after 50 years but was too frail to speak, veteran leader VS Atem recalled the 1997 Indo-Naga ceasefire and the key milestones achieved since then.Headded that ongoing Indo-Naga dialogue follows three principles: discussions must be unconditional, held at the highest level, and conducted in a third country.After over 70 rounds of talks, the Centre signed the Framework Agreement with NSCN-IM in 2015. However, NSCN-IM’s demand for a separate Naga flag and constitution has not been accepted, prolonging negotiations.In 2017, the Centre also began talks with the WC NNPGs, a coalition of seven Naga groups, and signed the Agreed Position. While the WC NNPGs have shown willingness to compromise, NSCN-IM insists it will not accept any solution without a separate flag and constitution. Muivah reached his birthplace Somdal village in Ukhrul district soon after the programme. He is scheduled to stay there for a week before returning to Dimapur via Senapati district on 29 October.He also thanked the governments of India, Nagaland, and Manipur for facilitating his visit to his birthplace, Somdal village.Muivah, who spent 40 years leading an armed struggle for Naga independence in the jungles and living abroad in countries like Thailand and the Netherlands, has been part of peace talks with the Centre since the ceasefire agreement on 1 August 1997.

Go to Source

Hot this week

Is Donald Trump eyeing social media ban for teens? Daughter-in-law Lara says he’s ‘very interested’

Amid rising global push to regulate online platforms for minors due to concerns over addictive algorithms, online bullying and mental health risks, US President Donald Trump has shown a keen “interest” in the idea of restricting socia Read More

Space regulator IN-SPACe announces Rs 6 crore seed fund for startups developing AI applications

IN-SPACe director Vinod Kumar NEW DELHI: Space promoter and regulator IN-SPACe on Wednesday announced an AI inspired seed fund scheme of Rs 6 crore for startups or people interested in developing AI applications in the space sector. Read More

Aunties to play matchmakers for single Americans: Singapore’s new tourism campaign replaces dating apps

Singapore has launched a state-backed tourism campaign inviting single Americans to step away from dating apps and try human-led matchmaking, with so-called “aunties” selecting their first date instead of algorithms. Read More

Germany’s Merz backs proposal to ban social media for under-14s

German Chancellor Friedrich Merz has voiced his “sympathy” for a proposal to ban social media use for children under 14, ahead of discussions among governing politicians starting Friday Go to Source Read More

Do not give away Diego Garcia, Trump tells UK

The US president says “it will be a blight on our great ally” if the islands are handed over to Mauritius. Read More

Topics

Is Donald Trump eyeing social media ban for teens? Daughter-in-law Lara says he’s ‘very interested’

Amid rising global push to regulate online platforms for minors due to concerns over addictive algorithms, online bullying and mental health risks, US President Donald Trump has shown a keen “interest” in the idea of restricting socia Read More

Space regulator IN-SPACe announces Rs 6 crore seed fund for startups developing AI applications

IN-SPACe director Vinod Kumar NEW DELHI: Space promoter and regulator IN-SPACe on Wednesday announced an AI inspired seed fund scheme of Rs 6 crore for startups or people interested in developing AI applications in the space sector. Read More

Aunties to play matchmakers for single Americans: Singapore’s new tourism campaign replaces dating apps

Singapore has launched a state-backed tourism campaign inviting single Americans to step away from dating apps and try human-led matchmaking, with so-called “aunties” selecting their first date instead of algorithms. Read More

Germany’s Merz backs proposal to ban social media for under-14s

German Chancellor Friedrich Merz has voiced his “sympathy” for a proposal to ban social media use for children under 14, ahead of discussions among governing politicians starting Friday Go to Source Read More

Do not give away Diego Garcia, Trump tells UK

The US president says “it will be a blight on our great ally” if the islands are handed over to Mauritius. Read More

INS Krishna launched: Navy cadets to get ‘floating classrooms’ for sea training

Anupama Chauhan, wife of CDS General Anil Chauhan, launched INS Krishna in the presence of CDS himself and senior officials of the armed forces and ship-builder Larsen & Toubro (L&T) in Chennai NEW DELHI: Indian naval cadets will no Read More

Justice remains ‘inaccessible’ for ‘Persons with Disabilities’, says NCPEDP study

AI-generated image NEW DELHI: From inaccessible police stations and a policing system inadequately equipped to respond to concerns of persons with disabilities (PwDs) to inaccessible courtrooms and the justice system lacking crucial Read More

Vijay’s Hyderabad home lights up amid wedding with Rashmika

Speculation around the relationship status of Vijay Deverakonda and Rashmika Mandanna has once again taken centre stage on social media. Read More

Related Articles