Saturday, February 21, 2026
15.1 C
New Delhi

Ladakh violence: ‘Gen Z revolution’ or ‘conspiracy motivated by politics’? What we know

BJP Office Torched In Leh Amid Ladakh Statehood Agitation, Police Vehicle Burnt

NEW DELHI: At least 4 people were killed and several were injured on Wednesday after a demonstration demanding statehood of Ladakh turned violent in the capital Leh.Climate activist Sonam Wangchuk – who is seen as the face of the protest – ended his 15-day hunger strike, expressing sadness over the violent escalation.Wangchuk termed this demonstration as “youth’s anger” and “Gen Z” revolution.”I am sad to inform you that there was vandalism in Leh during a protest. Many offices and police vehicles were vandalised and burned. A bandh was announced in Leh, but the youth came in large numbers. This was youth’s anger, a Gen-Z revolution,” Wangchuk said in a video message as teargas shells were heard in the backdrop.Bharatiya Janata Party, meanwhile, said there was a conscious effort to liken this violence to that of Nepal’s recent Gen Z protests, and alleged that in reality the agitation was not led by the youth but fuelled by the Congress.

.

“Today, in Ladakh, attempts were made to portray some protests as being led by Gen Z. However, when investigated, it was discovered that these protests were not led by Gen Z, but by Congress. Congress councillor Stanzin Tsepang is the councillor from the Upper Leh ward. He is the main instigator, and numerous photos have surfaced of him and his workers instigating the violence. He can also be seen marching towards the BJP office with a weapon in his hand. He is instigating the mob and targeting the BJP office. A video of this has also surfaced, and the BJP has also posted it. Councillor Stanzin Tsepang is with Rahul Gandhi,” BJP MP Sambit Patra said. Additionally, government sources told news agency ANI that the situation in Leh didn’t spiral on its own and it was “engineered deliberately.””Ladakh and its youth are paying a huge price for the narrow politics played by certain individuals and personal ambitions by Sonam Wangchuk,” sources said.”The Centre had already fixed October 6 for the meeting of the High Powered Committee to discuss all issues posed by ABL and KDA. The Center also agreed on the new members for HPC as proposed by ABL. Upon receiving a request for preponement, some meetings were being considered on Sept 25-26. In fact, the Center has been always ready for the talks and on earlier occasions also talks were also proposed on 25th July which did not receive positive response,” it added.Ladakh’s Lt governor Kavinder Gupta also held vested interests responsible for violence.”In a democratic system, protesting is a right. However, it must be done in a peaceful manner. For the past two days, attempts have been made to incite people, and the protest held here was compared to those held in Bangladesh and Nepal. This smells of a conspiracy behind the protest,” he said.Also read| Ladakh LG makes ‘Bangladesh-Nepal’ claim; vows thorough probe”When police were deployed to control the law and order situation, a CRPF vehicle was torched. During the protest, DG’s vehicle was attacked with stones. If this protest had not been stopped, then these people (protestors) would have ruined the entire city of Leh,” he added.Wangchuk, later, backtracked from giving the “Gen Z” adjective to the protest and preferred to label the protest in Ladakh as a “youth” demonstration.In a virtual press conference, Sonam Wangchuk said, “These people call themselves Gen Z, that’s why we said that otherwise I refer to them as youths. Gen Z is not my term; people often use it to describe them. Actually, these are the youths,” Wangchuk said.How the demonstration spiraled into a deadly clashThe Ladakh Apex Body (LAB) youth wing called for the protest after two of the 15 people, who were on a 35-day hunger strike since September 10, were shifted to a hospital because their condition deteriorated on Tuesday evening. The fast was to push the Centre to resume dialogue in support of their four-point demand – statehood, extension of Sixth Schedule, separate Lok Sabha seats for Leh and Kargil and reservation for employment.On Wednesday morning, Leh was completely shut down. Hundreds of people took to the streets. The situation worsened when some youth pelted stones at the headquarters of the BJP and the Hill Council. Police and paramilitary forces, deployed in strength across the town, lobbed teargas shells to bring the situation under control, the officials said.Later, the BJP office was vandalised and set on fire along with several vehicles. As the day progressed, flames and dark smoke clouds could be seen from afar.Police resorted to firing and teargas shelling to bring the situation under control after the protesters indulged in widespread violence, officials said.The administration imposed prohibitory orders under Section 163 of the BNSS to ban the assembly of five or more people, they said. Besides, Congress leader and councillor Phuntsog Stanzin Tsepag was booked for allegedly making a provocative speech at the hunger strike venue.What is the protest about?The protest in the Union Territory gathered pace, demanding statehood and Sixth Schedule status for Ladakh, which was carved out from Jammu and Kashmir in 2019.According to Wangchuk, the situation was the outcome of frustration among the youth because they have been kept away from jobs. He added that there is no democracy in Ladakh and the Sixth Schedule promise made to the public has not been fulfilled either.The Constitution’s Sixth Schedule, meant for the tribal population of the four northeast states of Tripura, Meghalaya, Mizoram and Assam, makes special provisions in terms of governance, powers of president and the governor, type of local bodies, alternate judicial mechanisms and financial powers exercised through autonomous councils.Meanwhile, a fresh round of talks is scheduled between the ministry of home affairs and Ladakh representatives, comprising members of the LAB and the Kargil Democratic Alliance (KDA), on October 6.The two bodies have been jointly spearheading an agitation over the past four years in support of their demands and have held several rounds of talks with the government in the past. Go to Source

Hot this week

Trump set to visit China next month after Supreme Court strikes down key tariffs

The visit will be the first in-person meeting between Trump and Xi since October, when they met in South Korea and agreed to the trade truce. Read More

Just off ventilator, gritty teen turns up for boards

Chandigarh: Thirteen days. That’s how long 17-year-old Kanishka Bist was on a ventilator in an intensive care unit, as machines breathed for her and doctors kept constant watch. Read More

‘Tu Yaa Main’ BO day 7: Shanaya Kapoor film collects 4.45 crores

‘Tu Yaa Main’ has concluded its opening week at the box office, raking in Rs 4.45 crore net. Despite fluctuating weekday collections, the film maintained a stable performance. Read More

Ex-UP junior engineer, his wife get death for sexually abusing 33 boys, selling their videos

Representational image A Pocso court in UP’s Banda sentenced to death Friday a former govt junior engineer and his wife for sexually abusing 33 boys over a decade, some as young as three, and selling videos and photographs of Read More

‘Do Deewane Seher Mein’ BO day 1: Mints Rs 1.25 crores

Mrunal Thakur and Siddhant Chaturvedi’s ‘Do Deewane Seher Mein’ opened with a modest ₹1.25 crore India net, indicating a slow start for the slice-of-life romance. Read More

Topics

Trump set to visit China next month after Supreme Court strikes down key tariffs

The visit will be the first in-person meeting between Trump and Xi since October, when they met in South Korea and agreed to the trade truce. Read More

Just off ventilator, gritty teen turns up for boards

Chandigarh: Thirteen days. That’s how long 17-year-old Kanishka Bist was on a ventilator in an intensive care unit, as machines breathed for her and doctors kept constant watch. Read More

‘Tu Yaa Main’ BO day 7: Shanaya Kapoor film collects 4.45 crores

‘Tu Yaa Main’ has concluded its opening week at the box office, raking in Rs 4.45 crore net. Despite fluctuating weekday collections, the film maintained a stable performance. Read More

Ex-UP junior engineer, his wife get death for sexually abusing 33 boys, selling their videos

Representational image A Pocso court in UP’s Banda sentenced to death Friday a former govt junior engineer and his wife for sexually abusing 33 boys over a decade, some as young as three, and selling videos and photographs of Read More

‘Do Deewane Seher Mein’ BO day 1: Mints Rs 1.25 crores

Mrunal Thakur and Siddhant Chaturvedi’s ‘Do Deewane Seher Mein’ opened with a modest ₹1.25 crore India net, indicating a slow start for the slice-of-life romance. Read More

Alexandra Daddario and Andrew Form file for divorce

Actor Alexandra Daddario and film producer Andrew Form are reportedly set to pull the plug on their marriage. Read More

Trump brings in new 10% tariff as Supreme Court rejects his global import taxes

The Supreme Court decision striking down some of Trump’s most sweeping tariffs injects new uncertainty into global trade. Read More

Priyanka’s fans spot Nick’s mangalsutra bracelet – WATCH

Nick Jonas once again proved why he is a total “green flag. Read More

Related Articles