Thursday, May 21, 2026
34.1 C
New Delhi

Helpline numbers released after Indian pilgrims killed in Saudi bus crash: Owaisi requests govt to bring back bodies – What we know so far

Helpline numbers released after Indian pilgrims killed in Saudi bus crash: Owaisi requests govt to bring back bodies - What we know so far

Representative image

NEW DELHI: A tragic bus accident in Saudi Arabia has left 42 Indian Umrah pilgrims feared dead, with officials confirming that only one person survived. The passenger bus collided with a diesel tanker early Monday while traveling from Mecca to Medina.Most passengers were reportedly asleep when the crash occurred around 1.30 am IST. All of the victims were from Hyderabad. Telangana chief minister Revanth Reddy expressed shock and directed officials to gather full details, provide relief, and coordinate with the ministry of external affairs and the Saudi Embassy.

Key developments

Victims:

Telangana State Haj Committee said the accident claimed the lives of 42 pilgrims, with one survivor. The victims reportedly include 20 women and 11 children, most of whom were from Hyderabad, while the bus also carried pilgrims from other parts of Telangana. Local residents rushed to the scene to assist rescue teams, and on-ground sources indicated that more than 40 people died instantly, though Saudi authorities have yet to release an official toll.

Helpline numbers:

The Telangana government has set up a control room at the state Secretariat to manage information and provide support to affected families. Those seeking assistance can contact the control room at 79979 59754 or 99129 19545.Officials have been directed to maintain continuous communication with the ministry of external affairs and Saudi authorities as the situation unfolds. At the same time, the Consulate General of India in Jeddah has launched a 24×7 helpline to assist those affected by the tragedy. Helpline number: Toll-free 8002440003.

External affairs minister statement:

EAM S Jaishankar tweeted, “Deeply shocked at the accident involving Indian nationals in Medinah, Saudi Arabia. Our Embassy in Riyadh and Consulate in Jeddah are giving fullest support to Indian nationals and families affected by this accident. Sincere condolences to the bereaved families. Pray for the speedy recovery of those injured.”

Telangana government response:

Chief minister Revanth Reddy directed the chief secretary and director general of police to immediately collect complete details of the passengers. A control room has been set up at the Telangana Secretariat to assist affected families.

Political reactions:

Hyderabad MP Asaduddin Owaisi expressed grief and said he had contacted travel agencies and shared information with the Riyadh Embassy. He also spoke to Deputy Chief of Mission Abu Mathen George, who is gathering updates from local authorities.

Go to Source

Hot this week

Ebola outbreak forces India to put off Africa summit

. NEW DELHI: The much-delayed 4th India-Africa summit that India was to host from May 28 to 31 was postponed on Thursday on account of the deadly Ebola virus outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo. Read More

AI plane’s tail scrapes runway while going around at Bengaluru

. NEW DELHI: An Airbus A321 operated by Air India with about 190 people aboard suffered a tail strike while going around — aborting landing and taking off again — at Bengaluru airport on Thursday. Read More

Muslim side in SC, challenges high court’s Bhojshala order

. NEW DELHI: The Muslim side Thursday moved SC challenging a Madhya Pradesh HC order which said the disputed Bhojshala complex was a temple dedicated to Goddess Saraswati. Read More

Topics

Ebola outbreak forces India to put off Africa summit

. NEW DELHI: The much-delayed 4th India-Africa summit that India was to host from May 28 to 31 was postponed on Thursday on account of the deadly Ebola virus outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo. Read More

AI plane’s tail scrapes runway while going around at Bengaluru

. NEW DELHI: An Airbus A321 operated by Air India with about 190 people aboard suffered a tail strike while going around — aborting landing and taking off again — at Bengaluru airport on Thursday. Read More

Muslim side in SC, challenges high court’s Bhojshala order

. NEW DELHI: The Muslim side Thursday moved SC challenging a Madhya Pradesh HC order which said the disputed Bhojshala complex was a temple dedicated to Goddess Saraswati. Read More

Sam Fender, Rosalía and Jacob Alon win Ivor Novello Awards

Lola Young helped to honour Elton John at Thursday’s event, which celebrates the craft of songwriting. Read More

Arya on Raj Babbar-Smita Patil affair, Prateik’s rift with family

Actor-comedian Arya Babbar opened up about the Babbar family’s complicated history in a recent interview. Read More

‘Emily in Paris’ to end after Season 6 – WATCH

Series ‘Emily in Paris’ to conclude with Season 6 ‘Emily in Paris’ is set to conclude after Season 6.The makers on Thursday, kicked off filming the final season in Greece. Read More

Related Articles