Tuesday, February 17, 2026
16.1 C
New Delhi

After 28 years, acid attack survivor gets Rs 5 lakh ‘relief’

After 28 years, acid attack survivor gets Rs 5 lakh ‘relief'

MEERUT: Roshni (name changed) was 15 when her life was ruined by a man who threw acid on her for breaking off their engagement. She lost an eye and her face was disfigured. It was 1997. What followed were years of pain and trauma, along with a series of corrective surgeries amid huge financial distress. Now, after 28 years of wait, Roshni, 43, received Rs 5 lakh in “compensation” — Rs 1 lakh from PM’s National Relief Fund and Rs 4 lakh from UP govt, reports Sandeep Rai.“That the interim compensation was released after 28 years shows the fragile state of affairs. Her monthly expenses on medicines and psychological therapy is close to Rs 10,000…” said Shaheen Malik, herself an acid attack survivor who had been fighting Roshni’s case since last year. She plans to move HC to seek “adequate compensation”.

-

Survivor plans to move HC to get ‘adequate compensation’

On Oct 28, 1997, Roshni was attacked at her Shahjahanpur home. She suffered extensive burns to her face, head and neck, resulting in almost 45% permanent physical disability. Thereafter, costly medicines and surgeries took a heavy financial toll on her family. “My father was a tailor and mother a housewife. My family was totally shattered; I was bedridden for two years. They exhausted all their savings and had to depend on community donations for my treatment… The surgeries cost over Rs 10 lakh,” Roshni said.Her trauma wasn’t just about the scars, anxiety and depression. In the next few years, she lost her parents, while her siblings moved on with their lives, leaving her all by herself.“My father passed away a few years later and my mother had to do odd jobs to keep me alive. The cost of medicines was enormous. Sadly, my mother died about eight years ago. I’m currently jobless and my frailty refuses to go away,” added Roshni, who also did odd jobs at various houses and later resorted to work on sarees, largely patchwork, from home.It was only last year that she found active support from Malik’s Delhi-based NGO Brave Souls Foundation. “Unfortunately, back in the 90s, the survivor’s family had little awareness about compensation. The prolonged delay in granting financial support reflects authorities’ lack of responsibility and accountability. Despite having knowledge of the gruesome attack, they left the victim unaware of available schemes and procedures,” Malik said. Roshni currently stays at a women’s shelter run by the NGO.“After 28 years of spending lakhs on her treatment, she got Rs 5 lakh. We are in the process of filing a suit to get her at least Rs 50 lakh,” Malik said. Officials from Shahjahanpur administration were unavailable for comment.

Go to Source

Hot this week

3 dead, 3 injured in shooting at Rhode Island ice rink during youth hockey match

A shooting at an ice rink in Pawtucket, Rhode Island, left three people dead, including the suspect, and three others critically injured during a youth hockey game Go to Source Read More

In Historic First, US Airlifts Micro Nuclear Reactor From California To Utah | Watch

The reactor, developed by California-based Valar Atomics, was flown aboard a C-17 Globemaster III without nuclear fuel. Read More

‘Jumanji 3’: Dwayne announces WRAP for Danny DeVito

Dwayne Johnson has officially announced the wrap of co-star Danny DeVito’s shoot for the upcoming ‘Jumanji 3’. Read More

Michael Jordan under fire after post-race celebration gesture toward child goes viral

Michael Jordan’s post-race gesture toward a child at Daytona 500 sparks heated debate online/ X The Daytona 500 was meant to be a milestone moment for Michael Jordan and his NASCAR team. Read More

Macron India visit: PM Modi to host French president in Mumbai today

Emmanuel Macron; Narendra Modi NEW DELHI: India and France will look to further upgrade their defence, trade and technology ties as PM Narendra Modi hosts French President Emmanuel Macron for a bilateral meeting in Mumbai on Tuesday Read More

Topics

3 dead, 3 injured in shooting at Rhode Island ice rink during youth hockey match

A shooting at an ice rink in Pawtucket, Rhode Island, left three people dead, including the suspect, and three others critically injured during a youth hockey game Go to Source Read More

In Historic First, US Airlifts Micro Nuclear Reactor From California To Utah | Watch

The reactor, developed by California-based Valar Atomics, was flown aboard a C-17 Globemaster III without nuclear fuel. Read More

‘Jumanji 3’: Dwayne announces WRAP for Danny DeVito

Dwayne Johnson has officially announced the wrap of co-star Danny DeVito’s shoot for the upcoming ‘Jumanji 3’. Read More

Michael Jordan under fire after post-race celebration gesture toward child goes viral

Michael Jordan’s post-race gesture toward a child at Daytona 500 sparks heated debate online/ X The Daytona 500 was meant to be a milestone moment for Michael Jordan and his NASCAR team. Read More

Macron India visit: PM Modi to host French president in Mumbai today

Emmanuel Macron; Narendra Modi NEW DELHI: India and France will look to further upgrade their defence, trade and technology ties as PM Narendra Modi hosts French President Emmanuel Macron for a bilateral meeting in Mumbai on Tuesday Read More

Media, including TOI, leading climate-health coverage: Lancet

AI-generated image NEW DELHI: At a time when climate change is increasingly reshaping public health risks across the globe, Indian media, including TOI, has quietly carved out a leadership role in linking the two, reports Jahnavi. Read More

In its war against Reds, CRPF is now wiping out Maoist ‘memorials’

Over the last 15 days, CRPF has demolished 53 ‘memorials’ across Sukma, Bijapur and Bastar NEW DELHI: As the country moves towards becoming Naxalism-free by March 31, it is not just the last of Maoist leaders and cadres who are bein Read More

Apple Martin REACTS to bullying allegations

Apple Martin, the daughter of Coldplay frontman Chris Martin and Oscar-winning actress, Gwyneth Paltrow, has finally addressed online rumours and speculation that she was a bully in school. Read More

Related Articles