Saturday, May 23, 2026
33.1 C
New Delhi

Shekhar Kapur says YRF didn’t want to cast Sushant in Paani

Shekhar Kapur says 'Paani' hit roadblock because YRF didn't want to cast Sushant Singh Rajput after he was rehearsing for six months

In April 2014, reports suggested that filmmaker Shekhar Kapur was finally ready to begin work on his long-delayed futuristic film ‘Paani’, a project that had remained stuck in development for more than a decade. At the time, Sushant Singh Rajput had replaced Hrithik Roshan as the male lead, raising hopes that the ambitious film, set in a dystopian 2050 where the world is grappling with an extreme water crisis, would soon enter production. However, nearly 12 years later, and more than five years after Sushant’s death, the film is still yet to be made.Kapur recently opened up on the project and shed light on why Yash Raj Films ultimately stepped away from the film. In a conversation, he revealed that the production was halted before it could even begin.“I couldn’t even start Paani’s production (unlike some other films of Kapur that were shelved midway). By the time YRF decided that they wouldn’t cast Sushant, I had already been rehearsing with him for six months. After hearing their decision, I went back to the West. I had only come to India to do Paani. However, I haven’t abandoned the project,” he said in an interview with The Lallantop. Kapur also recalled a conversation with Aditya Chopra, the head of YRF, explaining how their creative arrangement eventually led to the film being dropped by the studio.“The agreement Aditya Chopra (YRF’s head) and I had was that he would wield the business control while I would have the creative control over the movie. Then one day, he called me for breakfast and said, ‘Shekhar, what I have seen at YRF is that, if I don’t stand behind the director all the time, things don’t run well and the film doesn’t turn out well. Hence, it has become my habit. But I can’t stand behind you like that.’ He was right, because our agreement was that we were making my film. ‘I probably won’t be able to do that,’ he said. That’s how we decided that YRF wouldn’t go ahead with the project.”Kapur explained that the decision wasn’t the result of any conflict, but rather a natural difference in creative approaches between two established filmmakers.“It’s a simple matter. Since we couldn’t stay together creatively, it was decided that YRF would not make it. That’s how Paani hit a roadblock. But I haven’t abandoned it totally,” he said.Reflecting on Sushant, who passed away in 2020 at his home in Mumbai, Kapur shared that he was in Bhimtal, Uttarakhand when he heard the tragic news. The director described the late actor as deeply dedicated to his craft, though he admitted he did not know him well on a personal level.“He was very obsessive about the role. I didn’t notice anything different in him. He was an obsessive actor. As a director, that’s what I needed. I didn’t notice anything else abnormal about him. That may also be because I didn’t know him personally,” he said.

Go to Source

Hot this week

Over 80 killed in gas explosion at coal mine in China’s Shanxi province

Picture from X A gas explosion at the Liushenyu coal mine in Changzhi city in northern China has killed at least 82 people, AFP reported on Saturday. Read More

UN honours Indian peacekeeper Major Abhilasha Barak with Gender Advocate Award

Barak has been honoured with the 2025 United Nations Military Gender Advocate of the Year Award for her outreach efforts with women and girls during her deployment in the West Asian nation Go to Source Read More

At least 82 dead in Chinese coal mine explosion, state media reports

The explosion took place at 19:29 local time on Friday at a coal mine in northern China. Read More

Mango Desserts And Gourmet Mithai Are Becoming India’s New Summer Status Symbol

From mango-led café menus and artisanal mithai to luxury summer gifting hampers, India’s premium food brands are transforming seasonal nostalgia into a major lifestyle trend Go to Source Author: News18 Read More

Twisha Sharma Case: Samarth Singh Was ‘Not Hiding’, Says Lawyer After Arrest

The lawyer further explained that Samarth avoided appearing publicly because an FIR carrying non-bailable charges had already been filed against him and his mother. Read More

Topics

Over 80 killed in gas explosion at coal mine in China’s Shanxi province

Picture from X A gas explosion at the Liushenyu coal mine in Changzhi city in northern China has killed at least 82 people, AFP reported on Saturday. Read More

UN honours Indian peacekeeper Major Abhilasha Barak with Gender Advocate Award

Barak has been honoured with the 2025 United Nations Military Gender Advocate of the Year Award for her outreach efforts with women and girls during her deployment in the West Asian nation Go to Source Read More

At least 82 dead in Chinese coal mine explosion, state media reports

The explosion took place at 19:29 local time on Friday at a coal mine in northern China. Read More

Mango Desserts And Gourmet Mithai Are Becoming India’s New Summer Status Symbol

From mango-led café menus and artisanal mithai to luxury summer gifting hampers, India’s premium food brands are transforming seasonal nostalgia into a major lifestyle trend Go to Source Author: News18 Read More

Twisha Sharma Case: Samarth Singh Was ‘Not Hiding’, Says Lawyer After Arrest

The lawyer further explained that Samarth avoided appearing publicly because an FIR carrying non-bailable charges had already been filed against him and his mother. Read More

‘Lights Off, Mask On’: Twisha Sharma’s Family Claims Samarth Singh Got VIP Treatment In Court

Twisha Sharma’s husband Samarth Singh was seen wearing a face mask, sunglasses and a cap and remained silent when journalists attempted to question him. Read More

From Vaping Row To Middle-Finger Drama: IPL 2026’s Five Biggest Controversies

Indian Premier League 2026 began nearly two months ago and is now heading toward its grand finale, scheduled to take place in Ahmedabad on May 31. Read More

Breaking News: SpaceX Starship Catches Fire After Ocean Splashdown

SpaceX’s Starship, developed by Elon Musk’s company, experienced a dramatic incident after its latest test flight when it splashed down into the Indian Ocean and caught fire. Read More

Related Articles