Sunday, May 24, 2026
37.1 C
New Delhi

Kangana gets bail in defamation case on her farmer’s protest tweet

Kangana Ranaut gets bail in the defamation case linked to her farmer's protest tweet: 'Every mata is respectable to me'

Actor-turned-politician Kangana Ranaut was granted bail on Monday by a Bathinda court in Punjab in the defamation case filed by farmer protestor Mahinder Kaur. For those not in the know, the case stems from a 2021 incident when Kaur accused Ranaut of tarnishing her reputation through a social media post made during the farmers’ protest.The actress arrived at the court around 2 pm, dressed in a saree and sunglasses. She addressed the media and expressed regret over the “misunderstanding” that followed her post but maintained that she never directed her remarks toward any individual. Kangana said to the reporters at the court, “Whatever misunderstanding happened with the family of Mahinder ji, I gave a message to her husband for mata ji about how she was the victim of a misunderstanding. Never in my dreams could I imagine this controversy. Every mata, be she from Punjab or Himachal, is respectable to me.” When asked whether she believed she had made an inadvertent mistake, Ranaut reiterated that her post had been misinterpreted. “There was a retweet that was used as a meme. There were many women in that meme, and no comments were made against any individual,” she explained, adding that she had already spoken with Mahinder Kaur’s husband to clear the air. The actor further emphasised that while she “regretted the misunderstanding,” her intention was never to insult or misidentify anyone.Mahinder Kaur’s lawyer, Raghubir Singh Beniwal, confirmed that the court granted Ranaut bail based on a bond submitted by her father. He also noted that Ranaut had filed a plea seeking permanent exemption from personal appearances — a request he opposed.According to Beniwal, when the court asked Ranaut if she wanted to make a statement, she said she wished to apologise to the complainant, insisting that her post was not meant to target anyone.The court then turned to Mahinder Kaur’s husband, Labh Singh, who said he would consult his family before deciding whether to accept Ranaut’s apology. The next hearing in the case has been scheduled for November 24.The complaint, originally filed in January 2021, accused Ranaut of wrongly identifying Mahinder Kaur as Bilkis Bano, an elderly activist associated with the Shaheen Bagh protests. Kaur alleged that the actor’s “false imputations and remarks” had unfairly compared her to the “dadi” from Shaheen Bagh, even though she had been part of the farmers’ protest from the very beginning.

Go to Source

Hot this week

Trump’s emerging Iran deal sparks backlash from Republican hawks over nuclear, Hormuz concerns

Several Republican leaders and former Trump allies warned that any agreement allowing Iran to retain nuclear leverage or regional influence could undermine the objectives of the US-led military campaign. Read More

Trump tells US negotiators ‘not to rush’ into deal with Iran

The deal under discussion would involve a 60-day ceasefire extension during which the Strait of Hormuz would be reopened, according to US media. Read More

Large-scale Russian attack on Ukraine leaves four dead and dozens injured

The Oreshnik missile, which reportedly travels over 10 times the speed of sound, was used, Russia has confirmed. Read More

Turkish riot police storm opposition offices after leaders ousted

Officers forced their way into the building days after the party vowed to defy a court ruling removing its leaders. Read More

BBC at the site of China’s worst mining disaster in more than a decade

At least 82 people have been killed and two are missing after a coal mine blast in northern China, officials have said. Read More

Topics

Trump’s emerging Iran deal sparks backlash from Republican hawks over nuclear, Hormuz concerns

Several Republican leaders and former Trump allies warned that any agreement allowing Iran to retain nuclear leverage or regional influence could undermine the objectives of the US-led military campaign. Read More

Trump tells US negotiators ‘not to rush’ into deal with Iran

The deal under discussion would involve a 60-day ceasefire extension during which the Strait of Hormuz would be reopened, according to US media. Read More

Large-scale Russian attack on Ukraine leaves four dead and dozens injured

The Oreshnik missile, which reportedly travels over 10 times the speed of sound, was used, Russia has confirmed. Read More

Turkish riot police storm opposition offices after leaders ousted

Officers forced their way into the building days after the party vowed to defy a court ruling removing its leaders. Read More

BBC at the site of China’s worst mining disaster in more than a decade

At least 82 people have been killed and two are missing after a coal mine blast in northern China, officials have said. Read More

Blast targeting train kills at least 20 in Pakistan

Officials say the train had been transporting military personnel home for Eid when it was attacked by armed separatists. Read More

‘Fastest man in India wears whites’: Navy salutes petty officer Gurindervir who broke national 100m record

New Delhi: Gurindervir Singh, who has become the first Indian to clock sub-10.10 seconds in the men’s 100m sprint, holds the rank of a petty officer in the Indian Navy. Read More

WATCH – Pep Guardiola bids emotional farewell to Man City: ‘Players do not know it but I will be there controlling them’

Pep Guardiola delivered an emotional farewell after his final match as Manchester City manager, reflecting on his 10-year spell at the Etihad and thanking fans, players, and the club. Read More

Related Articles