Monday, February 16, 2026
20.1 C
New Delhi

Farhan Akhtar on Dil Chahta Hai debut at 25, turning 50

'It gave me this life': Farhan Akhtar reflects on Dil Chahta Hai debut at 25, turning 50

Filmmaker Farhan Akhtar looks back at his directorial debut, Dil Chahta Hai. He shares advice for his 25-year-old self, urging him to enjoy the filmmaking journey more. Akhtar also discusses turning 50 and his perspective on constructive criticism, referencing comments made by Naseeruddin Shah. He emphasizes the importance of respect in professional interactions.

Farhan Akhtar recently walked down memory lane as he reminisced the time he made his big directorial debut with Dil Chahta Hai. He also shared a heartfelt advice to his 25-year-old self as a director.

Looking back at his debut

In an interview with Hindustan Times, Farhan said, “They took a chance on a 25-year-old with a script and no idea of how to produce a film. It gave me this life. I would tell myself to enjoy the journey a little more.”

Amitabh Bachchan Recites Iconic ‘Zanjeer’ Dialogue On KBC, Leaves Javed & Farhan Akhtar Impressed

The film starred Aamir Khan, Saif Ali Khan, and Akshaye Khanna, Preity Zinta and Sonali Kulkarni in lead roles. Dimple Kapadia, on the other hand, played a supporting role. The film has achieved a cult status over the years and it still remains one of the most loved films in Bollywood.

On turning 50

He further spoke about turning 50. He added, “I feel like I should start behaving like I’m 50, although I don’t know what that is. I’m just continuing down the path.”

Responding to Naseeruddin Shah’s comments

Earlier, in another interview with Galatta Plus, Akhtar reacted to Naseeruddin Shah’s criticism. He said, “I have been doing films for 25 years. There are certain actors, directors, writers who I have known and they have debuted maybe 10 years after me. If there is something in their work that I feel, from my observation, that this could be better or that I have this piece of advice to give them… genuinely I would pick up the phone and call them. Or sit down and have a conversation with a person I care about in a sensitive way because you are going into somebody’s creative process and giving them constructive feedback from your point of view.”Farhan added that he did not feel Naseeruddin’s comments came from such a place. “It has to be done with a certain degree of love and a certain degree of respect for the other person. I felt that it didn’t come from that place. I just felt it was just like a statement thrown out publicly. I felt that then this person doesn’t respect you… so why should I reach out to a person who doesn’t respect me?”“He knows my dad, Shabana, my mom and me… we worked together in ZNMD, so it would have been the easiest thing for him to say that I want to speak to you, why don’t you come over!” Farhan explained.

Go to Source

Hot this week

Imran Khan’s sons seek visas to visit him, voice concern over father’s health in Pakistani jail

Kasim and Sulaiman Khan said jailed former prime minister Imran Khan is facing deteriorating health, call for transfer to proper medical care and permission to visit after more than two years apart Go to Source Read More

UK Govt Reverses Decision, Says All Local Elections Will Go Ahead After Backlash

The decision to delay the May local elections in 30 districts had faced intense criticism since it was first announced last month. Read More

From Masala Dosa To Machine Learning: Tejaswi Surya Hosts US Ambassador Sergio Gor In Bengaluru

In addition, the BJP MP held a review meeting with senior officials of GAIL (India) Limited regarding the progress of City Gas Distribution works in Jayanagar and Basavanagudi. Read More

Three inmates, including two Pakistanis, escape from juvenile home in J&K’s RS Pura – watch

The assault was captured on CCTV cameras (PTI) NEW DELHI: Three inmates, including two Pakistani nationals, escaped from a juvenile home in Jammu and Kashmir’s RS Pura town on Monday after allegedly assaulting two police personnel Read More

Menswear will rekindle its romantic spirit next winter, according to Heuritech

In its report on the autumn/winter 2026–2027 season in Florence and Milan, trend-forecasting start-up Heuritech predicts a resurgence of surrealism and the rise of character-driven styles in menswear. Read More

Topics

Imran Khan’s sons seek visas to visit him, voice concern over father’s health in Pakistani jail

Kasim and Sulaiman Khan said jailed former prime minister Imran Khan is facing deteriorating health, call for transfer to proper medical care and permission to visit after more than two years apart Go to Source Read More

UK Govt Reverses Decision, Says All Local Elections Will Go Ahead After Backlash

The decision to delay the May local elections in 30 districts had faced intense criticism since it was first announced last month. Read More

From Masala Dosa To Machine Learning: Tejaswi Surya Hosts US Ambassador Sergio Gor In Bengaluru

In addition, the BJP MP held a review meeting with senior officials of GAIL (India) Limited regarding the progress of City Gas Distribution works in Jayanagar and Basavanagudi. Read More

Three inmates, including two Pakistanis, escape from juvenile home in J&K’s RS Pura – watch

The assault was captured on CCTV cameras (PTI) NEW DELHI: Three inmates, including two Pakistani nationals, escaped from a juvenile home in Jammu and Kashmir’s RS Pura town on Monday after allegedly assaulting two police personnel Read More

Menswear will rekindle its romantic spirit next winter, according to Heuritech

In its report on the autumn/winter 2026–2027 season in Florence and Milan, trend-forecasting start-up Heuritech predicts a resurgence of surrealism and the rise of character-driven styles in menswear. Read More

Actor Robert Duvall, who starred in The Godfather, dies aged 95

The Oscar-winner died “peacefully” at his home in Middleburg, Virginia on Sunday, his family says. Read More

How Robert Duvall became a Hollywood great

A look at the life of the prolific actor whose many films included Apocalypse Now and The Godfather. Read More

J-K LG Manoj Sinha Orders Reopening Of 14 Tourist Sites Shut After Pahalgam Terror Attack

Manoj Sinha announced reopening of 14 tourist spots in Jammu and Kashmir, including Yousmarg, Doodhpathri, Devi Pindi, after closures following the Pahalgam terror attack. Read More

Related Articles