Wednesday, February 18, 2026
18.1 C
New Delhi

‘Will only be viable if the US…’: Putin proposes conditional one-year extension to nuclear weapons treaty

Russian President Putin on Monday proposed a one-year extension of the New START treaty — the last remaining arms control agreement between the US and Russia — as both sides remain at odds over geopolitical issues, including the ongoing war in Ukraine

Russian President Vladimir Putin on Monday proposed a one-year extension of the New START treaty — the last remaining arms control agreement between the US and Russia — as both sides remain at odds over broader security and geopolitical issues, including the ongoing war in Ukraine.

The offer, directed at US President Donald Trump, comes ahead of the treaty’s expiration on February 5, 2026, and aims to prevent a lapse in limits on strategic nuclear weapons while future terms are negotiated.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

Under the current New START agreement, both countries are limited to 1,550 deployed strategic warheads each. Without an extension or a new agreement, both nuclear powers could soon exceed those caps, escalating global security risks, reported Reuters.

Putin announced the proposal during a meeting of Russia’s Security Council, calling it a step toward global non-proliferation and a potential platform for renewed dialogue with Washington.

“Russia is prepared to continue adhering to the central numerical limits under the New START Treaty for one year after February 5, 2026,” Reuters quoted Putin as saying.

“Subsequently, based on an analysis of the situation, we will make a decision on whether to maintain these voluntary, self-imposed restrictions.

“This measure will only be viable if the United States acts in a similar manner, and does not take steps that undermine or violate the existing balance of deterrence capabilities.”

The Kremlin’s proposal comes amid mounting pressure on Putin from Trump to end the war in Ukraine. Moscow, however, continues to frame the conflict as part of broader East-West security tensions. At the same time, Kyiv is pushing the Trump administration to tighten sanctions on Moscow.

The US has yet to respond to the extension offer.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

The proposal marks a notable shift in Moscow’s stance, which had previously maintained that any arms control discussions with Washington would only occur once broader diplomatic ties— strained by the war in Ukraine — were improved.

As of now, the US has not issued an official response to Putin’s offer.

Ongoing tensions over Ukraine have prevented the two nuclear superpowers from beginning formal negotiations to renew or revise the New START treaty.

While President Trump has expressed interest in a new trilateral arms control agreement that includes China, Beijing has firmly rejected participation in such talks.

Daryl Kimball, executive director of the Arms Control Association, told Reuters that Putin’s proposal is “a positive and welcome move.”

He urged the US to respond constructively, saying that both Trump and Putin have the opportunity to “help reduce the most immediate existential security threat facing the world.”

Putin also warned that Russia would closely monitor US nuclear and missile defence activities, particularly any moves to strengthen missile shields or deploy interceptors in space, which he said could undermine efforts to preserve strategic stability.

“The practical implementation of such destabilising actions could nullify our efforts to maintain the status quo in the field of START,” said Putin. “We will respond accordingly.”

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

Konstantin Kosachyov, a senior Russian senator, said Putin was sending a message to the US that he was ready to enter talks on a new arms control treaty.

“I hope that this signal will be heard and correctly interpreted,” Kosachyov said on Telegram.

With inputs from agencies

End of Article

Go to Source

Hot this week

Peru’s president ousted just 4 months into office over secret China-linked meetings

Peru’s Congress removed President Jose Jeri over undisclosed meetings with a Chinese businessman, intensifying political instability and setting the stage for another leadership transition before April elections Go to Source Read More

Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Jayanti 2026: Date, History, And 5 Life Lessons For Today’s Generation

Shivaji Jayanti 2026 will be observed on February 19. Know the history, significance and 5 life lessons from Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj for today’s generation. Read More

Maharashtra Cancels 5% Muslim SEBC Quota After Court-Backed Review

Officials clarified that the latest decision is not a fresh policy change but an administrative correction based on the legal position that evolved after court intervention Go to Source Read More

Seven-Year-Old Andhra Girl Raped, Murdered By Neighbour; Body Recovered From Drum

A seven-year-old girl was raped and murdered in Andhra Pradesh. Public anger led to protests and highway blockade. Investigation continues. Read More

On Camera, Delhi Biker Opens Doors Of Moving Buses For Reels, Arrested

A 22-year-old man was arrested in Delhi after a viral video showed him performing dangerous bike stunts and opening vehicle doors in moving traffic to film social media reels. Read More

Topics

Peru’s president ousted just 4 months into office over secret China-linked meetings

Peru’s Congress removed President Jose Jeri over undisclosed meetings with a Chinese businessman, intensifying political instability and setting the stage for another leadership transition before April elections Go to Source Read More

Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Jayanti 2026: Date, History, And 5 Life Lessons For Today’s Generation

Shivaji Jayanti 2026 will be observed on February 19. Know the history, significance and 5 life lessons from Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj for today’s generation. Read More

Maharashtra Cancels 5% Muslim SEBC Quota After Court-Backed Review

Officials clarified that the latest decision is not a fresh policy change but an administrative correction based on the legal position that evolved after court intervention Go to Source Read More

Seven-Year-Old Andhra Girl Raped, Murdered By Neighbour; Body Recovered From Drum

A seven-year-old girl was raped and murdered in Andhra Pradesh. Public anger led to protests and highway blockade. Investigation continues. Read More

On Camera, Delhi Biker Opens Doors Of Moving Buses For Reels, Arrested

A 22-year-old man was arrested in Delhi after a viral video showed him performing dangerous bike stunts and opening vehicle doors in moving traffic to film social media reels. Read More

Kerala Lottery Result Today Live: Dhanalekshmi DL-40 Winning Numbers For February 18, 2026; First Prize Rs 1 Crore

Kerala Lottery Result Today: Dhanalekshmi DL-40 lottery result will be declared today, on Wednesday, February 18. Check the live updates and full list of winning numbers from 3 pm. Read More

Air Europa flight marks first commercial landing in Venezuela since US overthrow of Maduro

A Boeing 787-9 from Spain’s Air Europa arrived in Caracas on Tuesday, marking the first European commercial flight to land in Venezuela since the United States overthrew President Nicolas Maduro Go to Source Read More

Genelia And Riteish Deshmukh Reveal They Never Lived Together Before Marriage: ‘Stayed In Separate Rooms’

They spent their entire 10-year courtship living apart, even staying in separate rooms during holidays and film shoots. Read More

Related Articles