Wednesday, February 18, 2026
18.1 C
New Delhi

Ukrainian man arrested in Italy over involvement in Nord Stream pipelines blast

Italian police on Wednesday arrested a Ukrainian man allegedly involved in the 2022 detonation of the Nord Stream pipelines carrying gas from Russia to Germany. German authorities confirmed the arrest and stated that the man identified only as Serhiy K.

Italian police on Wednesday arrested a Ukrainian man allegedly involved in the 2022 detonation of the Nord Stream pipelines carrying gas from Russia to Germany. German authorities confirmed the arrest and stated that the man identified only as Serhiy K.

The authorities noted that the suspect is believed to have been on board the sailing boat from where the attack was allegedly carried out. Germany’s federal prosecutor’s office (GBA) stated on Thursday that Carabinieri arrested him on Wednesday evening near Rimini, following the issuance of a European arrest warrant on Monday.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

The attack on the pipeline was carried out on September 26, 2022. While the gas pipeline was not in use, the damage to it was beyond repair. Investigators have long suspected Ukrainian commandos of being behind the blast.

How the Ukrainian man was involved

Divers were believed to have been taken there by the chartered sailing yacht Andromeda. The authorities noted that the yacht set off from the German port of Rostock to the area close to the pipelines near the Danish island of Bornholm, where they planted explosives on the seabed.

Serhiy K, the Ukrainian suspect, is thought to have been on board. However, the investigators do not believe that he was one of the divers; he is thought to have had a leading role as a coordinator of what appeared to have been a well-planned operation. The prosecutors noted that the yacht was hired with the help of intermediaries and using forged identity papers from a German company.

It is pertinent to note that the incident has been under investigation since 2022 by the GBA. The German authorities intend to charge any suspects with anti-constitutional sabotage and causing an explosion.

Meanwhile, an extensive media investigation, spearheaded by German news outlet Der Spiegel, revealed that people who allegedly had detailed knowledge of the incident said the commandos had not intended to commit a crime. Instead, they saw it as an attack on a legitimate military target due to the ongoing Russia-Ukraine war.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

Spiegel’s research revealed evidence suggesting the Ukrainian armed forces had sanctioned the action, although Kyiv has denied this. German prosecutors have not said when they expect Serhiy K to be extradited to face German authorities.

It is pertinent to note that separate investigations by the Swedish and Danish authorities were closed in February 2024, leaving German authorities to continue their inquiries alone. At one point, Russia went on to accuse the United States of conducting the Sabotage operation after Washington, DC, criticised Germany’s dependence on Russian gas.

Another initial strong assumption was that the perpetrators were Russian, but investigators traced the yacht and discovered its connection to Ukraine. Kyiv, Washington and Moscow all eventually denied allegations of involvement.

Last year, Germany’s federal prosecutor general, Jens Rommel, secured an initial arrest warrant against one of the suspected divers. However, the suspect left his home in Poland before he could be arrested after Polish authorities allegedly warned Ukrainian authorities. According to German news outlet Spiegel, the man has allegedly driven into Ukraine in a car with diplomatic licence plates.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

With inputs from agencies.

End of Article

Go to Source

Hot this week

Vance says Iran is not accepting ‘red lines’ set by Trump as second round of nuclear talks end

The two countries held another round of talks in Geneva, Switzerland, on Tuesday amid pressure from Trump on the regime over the nuclear deal. Read More

Gujarat Police aspirants’ heights ‘shrink’, HC orders recheck

Representational Image AHMEDABAD: Aspirations to walk tall and proud in khaki have “shrunk” after running into a tape measure. Read More

Headline-chasing interim head: Jethmalani on Yunus’ NE remark

Muhammad Yunus NEW DELHI: Muhammad Yunus’s reference to the northeastern states without recognising them as a part of India in his farewell address as the chief adviser of Bangladesh’s interim govt drew a sharp takedown Read More

‘It Cannot Be Clearer Anymore’: Expert On India Hitting Pak Nuclear Facility During Op Sindoor

Tim Cooper described the alleged strike as one of the decisive moments of the conflict. Read More

India Considering Age-Based Restrictions With Social Media Platforms, Says IT Minister

India may impose age limits on social media, following other nations, according to Information Technology Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw. Read More

Topics

Vance says Iran is not accepting ‘red lines’ set by Trump as second round of nuclear talks end

The two countries held another round of talks in Geneva, Switzerland, on Tuesday amid pressure from Trump on the regime over the nuclear deal. Read More

Gujarat Police aspirants’ heights ‘shrink’, HC orders recheck

Representational Image AHMEDABAD: Aspirations to walk tall and proud in khaki have “shrunk” after running into a tape measure. Read More

Headline-chasing interim head: Jethmalani on Yunus’ NE remark

Muhammad Yunus NEW DELHI: Muhammad Yunus’s reference to the northeastern states without recognising them as a part of India in his farewell address as the chief adviser of Bangladesh’s interim govt drew a sharp takedown Read More

‘It Cannot Be Clearer Anymore’: Expert On India Hitting Pak Nuclear Facility During Op Sindoor

Tim Cooper described the alleged strike as one of the decisive moments of the conflict. Read More

India Considering Age-Based Restrictions With Social Media Platforms, Says IT Minister

India may impose age limits on social media, following other nations, according to Information Technology Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw. Read More

Wei Yi downplays his Candidates chances, says R Praggnanandhaa has great chance to win: ‘All-round player’

Candidates 2026 starts March 28 with eight man competing to win the tournament that will give them a shot at the D Gukesh’s world championship later this year. Read More

Wei Yi downplays his Candidates chances, says R Praggnanandhaa has great chance to win: ‘All-round player’

Candidates 2026 starts March 28 with eight man competing to win the tournament that will give them a shot at the D Gukesh’s world championship later this year. Read More

Flirting Day 2026: How Flirting Can Help Build Social Confidence?

Flirting Day 2026, February 17: Flirting isn’t just about romance—it’s a playful way to engage with others. Read More

Related Articles