Sunday, November 30, 2025
12.1 C
New Delhi

Trump’s new visa crackdown: 6,000 student permits cancelled, over 55 mn foreign nationals face scrutiny

In its latest crackdown on immigration, the US Department of State said that it is reviewing the records of more than 55 million foreigners who hold valid US visas for potential revocation or deportable violation of the country’s immigration rules.

In a bid to intensify its crackdown on immigrants, the US Department of State said that it is reviewing the records of more than 55 million foreigners who hold valid US visas for potential revocation or deportable violation of the country’s immigration rules. The move was first reported by The Associated Press.

In a clarfication statement, the department made it clear that all of the foreigners who currently hold valid US visas are subject to “continuous vetting” for any indication that they could be ineligible for the American visa, including those who are already admitted into the country.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

They noted that if evidence of violation came to light, the visa would be revoked, and if the visa holder were in the US, they would be subjected to deportation.

“The State Department revokes visas any time there are indications of a potential ineligibility, which includes things like any indicators of overstays, criminal activity, threats to public safety, engaging in any form of terrorist activity, or providing support to a terrorist organisation,” a department spokesperson said.

People with ‘anti-American views’ are not allowed

The remarks from the State Department came after an announcement on Tuesday in which the Trump administration made it clear that it will look for  “anti-American” views, including on social media, when assessing the applications of people wanting to live in the United States.

US Citizenship and Immigration Services ( USCIS), which handles requests to stay in the US or become a citizen, noted that it would expand its vetting process to the social media postings of applicants and that “reviews for anti-American activity will be added to that vetting”.

“America’s benefits should not be given to those who despise the country and promote anti-American ideologies,” said a USCIS spokesperson, Matthew Tragesser. “US Citizenship and Immigration Services is committed to implementing policies and procedures that root out anti-Americanism and supporting the enforcement of rigorous screening and vetting measures to the fullest extent possible. Immigration benefits – including to live and work in the United States – remain a privilege, not a right.”

The government’s crackdown on immigrants intensifies

Initially, the Trump administration said that it would focus only on dangerous criminals. However, thousands of people are being arrested daily. According to The New York Times, this week, the government is on track to deport 400,000 people in 2025.

Authorities have gone after working immigrants through unprecedented raids of restaurants, construction sites, and farms, which prompted protests in several cities across the country.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

Earlier this week, the Department of State noted that it has revoked over 6,000 student visas since Trump’s return to office. They argued that the visas were revoked due to various violations, such as overstaying visas and legal infractions, including assault, driving under the influence, and terrorism-related activities.

Of those, nearly 4,000 visas were revoked due to confirmed violations, and 200–300 were linked to terrorism or support for designated terrorist entities. Apart from this, the Trump administration had mandated in-person interviews for nearly all visa applicants and imposed other layers of scrutiny.

Hence, the current vetting expansion represents a significant escalation in post-issuance monitoring.

End of Article

Go to Source

Hot this week

Zirkzee leads Manchester United’s second-half comeback in 2-1 win over Crystal Palace

Ruben Amorim’s side trailed to Jean-Philippe Mateta’s first half penalty at Selhurst Park, but Zirkzee and Mount netted after the interval to secure United’s first win in four games. Read More

Qatar GP: McLaren’s gamble backfires as Verstappen win sends F1 title fight to final race

All three title contenders – Max Verstappen, Lando Norris and Oscar Piastri – have won seven races this season. Verstappen is aiming for a fifth straight F1 title, with Piastri and Norris chasing their first. Read More

Elon Musk Says Partner Shivon Zilis Is Half-Indian, Son’s Middle Name Is Shekhar

Show Quick Read Key points generated by AI, verified by newsroom Tesla and SpaceX CEO Elon Musk has revealed that his partner Shivon Zilis is half-Indian. Read More

Exclusive | ‘Just wanted to enjoy badminton’: Lakshya Sen says ‘mental shift’ helped him triumph at Australia Open

In an exclusive interaction with Firstpost, Lakshya Sen shared how mental adjustments helped him bounce back from poor results since the Paris Olympics. Read More

NC puts spotlight back on special status, counters ‘pro-BJP’ talk

Chief minister Omar Abdullah (File photo) SRINAGAR: J&K chief minister’s Omar Abdullah’s National Conference (NC) has foregrounded a recently adopted resolution for restoration of special status, seeking to blunt claims that the pa Read More

Topics

Zirkzee leads Manchester United’s second-half comeback in 2-1 win over Crystal Palace

Ruben Amorim’s side trailed to Jean-Philippe Mateta’s first half penalty at Selhurst Park, but Zirkzee and Mount netted after the interval to secure United’s first win in four games. Read More

Qatar GP: McLaren’s gamble backfires as Verstappen win sends F1 title fight to final race

All three title contenders – Max Verstappen, Lando Norris and Oscar Piastri – have won seven races this season. Verstappen is aiming for a fifth straight F1 title, with Piastri and Norris chasing their first. Read More

Elon Musk Says Partner Shivon Zilis Is Half-Indian, Son’s Middle Name Is Shekhar

Show Quick Read Key points generated by AI, verified by newsroom Tesla and SpaceX CEO Elon Musk has revealed that his partner Shivon Zilis is half-Indian. Read More

Exclusive | ‘Just wanted to enjoy badminton’: Lakshya Sen says ‘mental shift’ helped him triumph at Australia Open

In an exclusive interaction with Firstpost, Lakshya Sen shared how mental adjustments helped him bounce back from poor results since the Paris Olympics. Read More

NC puts spotlight back on special status, counters ‘pro-BJP’ talk

Chief minister Omar Abdullah (File photo) SRINAGAR: J&K chief minister’s Omar Abdullah’s National Conference (NC) has foregrounded a recently adopted resolution for restoration of special status, seeking to blunt claims that the pa Read More

Opposition Demands Netanyahu’s “Admission of Guilt, Retirement” For Pardon, Pope Visit Lebanon | 4k

Israel’s political opposition is demanding that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu admit guilt and retire in exchange for a potential presidential pardon, intensifying the ongoing debate over corruption and political accountability. Read More

Akshay Kumar was once called ‘kachra’ by filmmakers

Akshay Kumar may today be one of Bollywood’s most bankable stars, but his journey to superstardom was paved with setbacks, self-doubt, and harsh criticism. Read More

Winter Session Begins On December 1 With SIR Row Expected To Dominate Parliament

Show Quick Read Key points generated by AI, verified by newsroom The Winter Session of Parliament will open on Monday, December 1, with 15 working days scheduled until December 19. Read More

Related Articles