Tuesday, February 17, 2026
18.1 C
New Delhi

Lebanon sets 3-month deadline to disarm Hezbollah near Israel borders

Plan includes five-phase disarmament strategy starting in southern Lebanon, with nationwide security measures and focus on restoring state control over weapons

Lebanon Foreign Minister Youssef Raggi on Tuesday said that its army will begin disarming Hezbollah near the Israeli border within three months, according to an AFP report.

The initiative follows an August directive from the Lebanese government instructing the military to develop a plan to disarm the powerful militant group by year’s end, amid mounting pressure from the United States and ongoing Israeli airstrikes.

Although the cabinet announced last week that implementation of the plan would soon begin, it withheld specific details.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

Raggi said Army Commander Rodolphe Haykal has since presented a five-phase disarmament roadmap aimed at consolidating all weapons under state control.

The first phase, he said, will take approximately three months and will focus on removing all weapons from areas south of the Litani River — roughly 30 kilometers (20 miles) from the Israeli border — by the end of November.

“There will be no warehouses, no weapons, no weapons transfers, no fighters, and no display of arms in the area,” AFP quoted Raggi as saying, describing the army’s plan.

Alongside the initial phase of disarming Hezbollah in southern Lebanon, the army will implement nationwide “security measures,” according to the plan.

Raggi said that the military will “tighten and increase the number of checkpoints, prevent the movement and carrying of weapons… but without conducting raids, arresting individuals, or confiscating weapons from warehouses.”

“At the very least, the movement of weapons from one area to another will be prohibited,” he added.

Raggi also noted that the remaining four phases of the disarmament plan will target other regions, including Beirut and the eastern Bekaa, “but without timelines.”

Hezbollah’s position has been significantly weakened after a year-long conflict with Israel, including two months of open warfare that inflicted heavy losses on the group’s leadership and arsenal.

The Lebanese government has framed the disarmament effort—fiercely opposed by Hezbollah—as part of implementing the ceasefire agreement that ended the conflict in November of last year.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

That deal also called for the withdrawal of Israeli forces from Lebanese territory and a halt to cross-border strikes. However, Israel has continued bombing targets in Lebanon and maintains troops at five strategic border locations.

With inputs from agencies

End of Article

Go to Source

Hot this week

95-yr-old unable to walk, court goes to him, delivers verdict

Representational image PATNA: The justice clock at Patna district courts ticked towards a rare moment on Monday when special judge Avinash Kumar of the CBI court delivered the verdict in a 15-year-old bank fraud case not inside a co Read More

Loosening pyjama string is ‘attempt to rape’: SC sets aside controversial Allahabad HC ruling

Supreme Court NEW DELHI: Supreme Court on Tuesday ruled that groping a female and untying her pyjama string constituted “attempt to rape” and set aside Allahabad HC’s controversial judgment terming the offence not Read More

Shia LaBeouf and Mia Goth SPLIT a year ago

Hollywood couple Shia LaBeouf and Mia Goth have reportedly pulled the plug on their marriage. Read More

Navya Naveli Nanda on not joining films despite Bachchan legacy

Despite being born into the illustrious Bachchan family, Navya Naveli Nanda says she never felt any pressure to step into the world of acting. Read More

Karnataka Cong govt allots public-use plots for party offices

Karnataka deputy CM and state Cong chief DK Shivakumar BENGALURU: Two dozen civic amenity sites across several urban local bodies in Karnataka were allotted to Congress Bhavan Trust to build party offices at the district and taluk l Read More

Topics

95-yr-old unable to walk, court goes to him, delivers verdict

Representational image PATNA: The justice clock at Patna district courts ticked towards a rare moment on Monday when special judge Avinash Kumar of the CBI court delivered the verdict in a 15-year-old bank fraud case not inside a co Read More

Loosening pyjama string is ‘attempt to rape’: SC sets aside controversial Allahabad HC ruling

Supreme Court NEW DELHI: Supreme Court on Tuesday ruled that groping a female and untying her pyjama string constituted “attempt to rape” and set aside Allahabad HC’s controversial judgment terming the offence not Read More

Shia LaBeouf and Mia Goth SPLIT a year ago

Hollywood couple Shia LaBeouf and Mia Goth have reportedly pulled the plug on their marriage. Read More

Navya Naveli Nanda on not joining films despite Bachchan legacy

Despite being born into the illustrious Bachchan family, Navya Naveli Nanda says she never felt any pressure to step into the world of acting. Read More

Karnataka Cong govt allots public-use plots for party offices

Karnataka deputy CM and state Cong chief DK Shivakumar BENGALURU: Two dozen civic amenity sites across several urban local bodies in Karnataka were allotted to Congress Bhavan Trust to build party offices at the district and taluk l Read More

SC: Compensation is not a substitute for punishment

Supreme Court NEW DELHI: Sending a clear message to high courts and trial courts that a person convicted of a crime could not be let off with lenient punishment on agreeing to financially compensate the victim, Supreme Court on Tues Read More

CJI alarmed by AI use to draft petitions in SC

CJI Surya Kant (File photo) NEW DELHI: As heads of govts and tech giants brainstorm how to reap benefits of the artificial intelligence revolution and dodge the risks that it poses, Supreme Court has expressed alarm over the growing Read More

Blackstone founder Stephen Schwarzman plans to donate his entire $48 billion fortune to a major philanthropic foundation

Stephen Schwarzman, the co-founder and chief executive of global investment firm Blackstone, is preparing to transfer most of his estimated $48 billion personal fortune into a philanthropic foundation, according to documents reviewed Read More

Related Articles