Friday, February 20, 2026
24.1 C
New Delhi

Israel’s ‘Iron Beam’ laser defence system clears final trials, set for deployment this year

A low-cost, high-power laser-based system aimed at destroying incoming missiles has successfully completed testing and will be ready for operational use by the military later this year, Israel’s Defence Ministry said on Wednesday.

Israel’s Defence Ministry announced on Wednesday that a new laser-based air defence system, designed to shoot down incoming missiles at a fraction of the current cost, has successfully passed testing and will be deployed later this year.

The system, known as Iron Beam, was jointly developed by Elbit Systems and Rafael Advanced Defense Systems. It is intended to work alongside Israel’s existing multi-layered defences, the Iron Dome, David’s Sling and Arrow systems which have intercepted thousands of projectiles launched by Hamas in Gaza, Hezbollah in Lebanon and the Houthis in Yemen.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

“The system has proven its effectiveness against a variety of threats and successfully intercepted rockets, mortars, and drones,” the Defence Ministry said in its statement. It added: “During the tests, the system demonstrated its performance in intercepting a variety of threats in operational scenarios, including: rockets, aircraft and drones.”

The ministry confirmed that the Israel Defence Forces (IDF) will begin receiving the first Iron Beam units by the end of 2025.

Traditional rocket interceptors cost upwards of $50,000 per launch, while the expense of using lasers is minimal. By focusing on neutralising smaller missiles, rockets, and unmanned aerial vehicles, Iron Beam is expected to deliver a major cost advantage. “Now that the Iron Beam’s performance has been proven, we anticipate a significant leap in air defence capabilities through the deployment of these long-range laser weapon systems,” the ministry said.

The Defence Ministry noted that the system underwent several weeks of trials in southern Israel, during which it successfully intercepted rockets, mortars, aircraft and UAVs under what it described as a “complete operational configuration.”

Iron Beam, a ground-based high-energy laser, is designed to complement other defences by targeting close-range aerial threats. Though smaller, less powerful laser systems are already in service, this marks Israel’s first deployment of a high-power laser for missile defence.

“This is the first time in the world that a high-power laser interception system has reached full operational maturity,” said defence ministry Director-General Amir Baram.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

Rafael Chairman Yuval Steinitz said that Iron Beam, which is built with the company’s adaptive optics technology, “will undoubtedly be a game-changing system with unprecedented impact on modern warfare”.

For its part, Elbit was working on the development of high-power lasers for other military applications, “first and foremost an airborne laser that holds the potential for a strategic change in air defence capabilities,” CEO Bezhalel Machlis said.

With inputs from agencies

End of Article

Go to Source

Hot this week

Mohsin Naqvi backs Pakistan hockey team after Australia tour fiasco, PCB steps in with monetary help: ‘Pakistan’s honour comes first’

After Pakistan hockey players were forced to cook and clean for themselves on the Australia tour, PCB chief Mohsin Naqvi stepped in to support the sport. Read More

Florida’s Palm Beach Airport set to be renamed as ‘President Donald Trump International Airport’

The Palm Beach Airport has a personal connection to Trump as it sits just a few minutes away from his Mar-a-Lago residence. Read More

Finding Aliens: How Close Are We To Evidence Of Microbial Life? What Have We Found So Far? Explained

Finding aliens: Astrobiologists say we could find evidence of microbial life within the next 10–20 years. Read More

Ramadan 2026: 10 Must‑Try Mutton Recipes For Iftar

This Ramadan, elevate your Iftar with rich, flavorful mutton dishes, from haleem and biryani to crispy keema samosas. Read More

FIR Against Indian Youth Congress Workers Over Protest, Slogans Against PM Modi At Bharat Mandapam

Indian Youth Congress staged a shirtless protest at Bharat Mandapam in New Delhi during the AI Impact Summit 2026, chanting anti-Modi slogans. Read More

Topics

Mohsin Naqvi backs Pakistan hockey team after Australia tour fiasco, PCB steps in with monetary help: ‘Pakistan’s honour comes first’

After Pakistan hockey players were forced to cook and clean for themselves on the Australia tour, PCB chief Mohsin Naqvi stepped in to support the sport. Read More

Florida’s Palm Beach Airport set to be renamed as ‘President Donald Trump International Airport’

The Palm Beach Airport has a personal connection to Trump as it sits just a few minutes away from his Mar-a-Lago residence. Read More

Finding Aliens: How Close Are We To Evidence Of Microbial Life? What Have We Found So Far? Explained

Finding aliens: Astrobiologists say we could find evidence of microbial life within the next 10–20 years. Read More

Ramadan 2026: 10 Must‑Try Mutton Recipes For Iftar

This Ramadan, elevate your Iftar with rich, flavorful mutton dishes, from haleem and biryani to crispy keema samosas. Read More

FIR Against Indian Youth Congress Workers Over Protest, Slogans Against PM Modi At Bharat Mandapam

Indian Youth Congress staged a shirtless protest at Bharat Mandapam in New Delhi during the AI Impact Summit 2026, chanting anti-Modi slogans. Read More

‘My Mother Died Due To Mental Agony Caused By Her’: Why Hyderabad Man Stabbed His Ex-Wife To Death

The accused decided to eliminate his former wife and managed to locate her residential address through her social media account and came to Hyderabad. Read More

Lost Your Phone In Delhi? Police Recover 580 Mobiles Under Mission Re-Connect 3.0

Show Quick Read Key points generated by AI, verified by newsroom Amid the growing concern over mobile phone theft in the national capital, Delhi Police has delivered a major relief to citizens. Under Mission Re-Connect 3. Read More

Did Russia back plot to assassinate Kyiv’s public figures? Moldova, Ukraine launch joint probe

Moldova and Ukraine have launched a joint investigation into an alleged Russia-backed plot to assassinate prominent Ukrainian public figures. Authorities say investigators suspect Russian special services planned to target individuals in Kyiv. Read More

Related Articles