Friday, May 22, 2026
39.1 C
New Delhi

UK Considers Scrapping Visa Fees For Top Global Talent Amid US’ H-1B Move: Report

Last Updated:

UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer considers scrapping visa fees for top global talent as US hikes H-1B visa fee to $100000.

The idea of cutting visa costs to zero is for people who have attended the world's top five universities or have won prestigious prizes, an official told the newspaper. (Representational)

The idea of cutting visa costs to zero is for people who have attended the world’s top five universities or have won prestigious prizes, an official told the newspaper. (Representational)

UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer is exploring proposals to abolish visa fees for top global talent, including scientists, academics, and digital experts, in a bid to drive growth, the Financial Times reported.

The significant move came at a time when the US has taken a tougher stance on immigration, imposing a $100,000 fee for new H-1B visas.

Recommended Stories

The discussions inside 10 Downing Street and the Treasury were already underway before the Trump administration significantly increased the H-1B visa fee.

Starmer’s “global talent taskforce” is developing ideas to attract the world’s best scientists, academics and digital experts to the UK to drive economic growth, the report said, citing people briefed on the talks.

A zero-fee system is reportedly proposed for applicants who have attended the world’s top five universities or have won prestigious prizes. The current cost of Britain’s Global Talent visa is £766 (about $1,030), a fee that also applies to any partners and dependents of the main applicant.

A person involved in the UK talks told Financial Times that the US decision had “put wind in the sails” of those pushing for Britain to cut costs on its high-end visa system ahead of the November 26 Budget.

Earlier in May this year, the British government mulled over introducing major changes to visa and immigration laws, furthering its efforts to reduce the number of migrant workers who can live and work in the UK.

According to the UK government, a complete revamp of the “failed experiment” to curb immigration is necessary to slash the number of legal immigrants into the country.

The Keir Starmer administration made the announcement on May 11 ahead of the presentation of the government’s Immigration White Paper in Parliament.

Meanwhile, the US President has announced to raise the H-1B visa fee to a staggering $100,000 (about Rs 88 lakh), which has created widespread panic and confusion among Indian professionals and travellers.

Later, the White House clarified that the individuals currently holding H-1B visas, including those visiting India or abroad, won’t be affected.

The White House on Saturday (September 20) issued a major clarification to its new H-1B visa policy as panic swept through the tech industry. It said this fee will be a “one-time” payment for only new applicants, and not an annual fee. It will only be imposed on new applicants and not impact renewals as well as existing visa holders.

White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt made the clarification after the US Commerce Secretary on Friday (September 19) said the H1-B visa fee has to be paid annually by new applicants and renewals. Her three-point clarification on X also said existing visa holders currently outside the US will “NOT be charged $100,000 to re-enter”.

The move by the US administration had sparked concerns for the Indians, as 71-72 per cent of H-1B visas are going to Indians.

(With inputs from Reuters)

News world UK Considers Scrapping Visa Fees For Top Global Talent Amid US’ H-1B Move: Report
Disclaimer: Comments reflect users’ views, not News18’s. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

Loading comments…

Read More

Go to Source

Hot this week

Indian man sentenced to 15.5 years in prison for gold scam in US, picked 16 gold bars from elderly victims

Indian man arrested in US for gold scam, sentenced to 15.5 years in prison. Syed M Makki, a 38-year-old Indian man in Illinois, has been sentenced to 15. Read More

WHO raises Ebola risk in DRC to ‘very high’ as outbreak concerns grow

WHO has raised its risk assessment for the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) to “very high” at the national level, warning of a heightened possibility of a broader outbreak Go to Source Read More

US releases second batch of declassified UFO files, reviving debate over unexplained sightings

At the order of President Donald Trump, the first batch ​was made public on May 8. ​He is the latest president to release ⁠US government reports on unidentified flying ​objects, a disclosure process that began in the ​late 1970s. Read More

UAE Official Says ’50-50′ Chance Of US-Iran Deal, Warns Tehran Against ‘Overestimating Their Cards’

UAE advisor Anwar Gargash says US-Iran deal chances are 50 50, warns conflict and instability in the Hormuz threaten global energy trade and urges a long term political solution Go to Source Read More

Topics

Indian man sentenced to 15.5 years in prison for gold scam in US, picked 16 gold bars from elderly victims

Indian man arrested in US for gold scam, sentenced to 15.5 years in prison. Syed M Makki, a 38-year-old Indian man in Illinois, has been sentenced to 15. Read More

WHO raises Ebola risk in DRC to ‘very high’ as outbreak concerns grow

WHO has raised its risk assessment for the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) to “very high” at the national level, warning of a heightened possibility of a broader outbreak Go to Source Read More

US releases second batch of declassified UFO files, reviving debate over unexplained sightings

At the order of President Donald Trump, the first batch ​was made public on May 8. ​He is the latest president to release ⁠US government reports on unidentified flying ​objects, a disclosure process that began in the ​late 1970s. Read More

UAE Official Says ’50-50′ Chance Of US-Iran Deal, Warns Tehran Against ‘Overestimating Their Cards’

UAE advisor Anwar Gargash says US-Iran deal chances are 50 50, warns conflict and instability in the Hormuz threaten global energy trade and urges a long term political solution Go to Source Read More

Nita Ambani’s Handwoven Banarasi Butidar Suit Celebrates India’s Rich Textile Heritage

Crafted in luxurious Katan silk using the intricate Kadwa technique, each motif in this Butidar design was individually woven by master artisans Haji Nafees Ahmad and Naseem Ahmad. Read More

2 Indians die on Everest after summiting; 3rd critical at South Col

Climbers walk in a long queue as they head to Camp 4 from Camp 3 on their way to ascend Mount Everest in the Solukhumbu district, also known as the Everest region. Read More

Twisha death case: Accused husband’s surrender, CCTV question and angry lawyer – key points

– NEW DELHI: Multiple key developments unfolded in the Twisha Sharma death case on Friday, with the Madhya Pradesh high court permitting a second post-mortem, accused husband Samarth Singh informing the court that he was willin Read More

Related Articles