Sunday, February 22, 2026
15.1 C
New Delhi

Tulsi Gabbard Slashes Intelligence Office Workforce, Downsize Budget By Over $700 Million

Curated By :

Last Updated:

The Trump administration announced a $700 million budget cut and 40% workforce reduction for the Office of the Director of National Intelligence.

font

US Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard (Credits: Reuters)

US Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard (Credits: Reuters)

The Office of the Director of National Intelligence (ODNI) will significantly reduce its workforce and cut its budget by over $700 million annually, the Trump administration announced on Wednesday.

The move amounts to a major downsizing of the office responsible for coordinating the work of 18 intelligence agencies, including on counterterrorism and counterintelligence, as President Donald Trump has tangled with assessments from the intelligence community.

Recommended Stories

His administration also this week has revoked the security clearances of dozens of former and current officials, while last month declassifying documents meant to call into question long-settled judgments about Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election.

“Over the last 20 years, ODNI has become bloated and inefficient, and the intelligence community is rife with abuse of power, unauthorised leaks of classified intelligence, and politicised weaponisation of intelligence,” Tulsi Gabbard, the director of national intelligence, said in a statement announcing a more than 40% workforce reduction.

She added: “Ending the weaponisation of intelligence and holding bad actors accountable are essential to begin to earn the American people’s trust which has long been eroded.” Division tackling foreign influence is targeted Among the changes are to the Foreign Malign Influence Centre, which is meant to track influence operations from abroad and threats to elections. Officials said it has become “redundant” and that its core functions would be integrated into other parts of the government.

The reorganisation is part of a broader administration effort to rethink how it tracks foreign threats to American elections, a topic that has become politically loaded given Trump’s long-running resistance to the intelligence community’s assessment that Russia interfered on his behalf in the 2016 election.

In February, for instance, Attorney General Pam Bondi disbanded an FBI task force focused on investigating foreign influence operations, including those that target US elections.

The Trump administration also has made sweeping cuts at the US Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency, which oversees the nation’s critical infrastructure, including election systems. And the State Department in April said it shut down its office that sought to deal with misinformation and disinformation that Russia, China and Iran have been accused of spreading.

Republicans cheer the downsizing, and Democrats pan it Reaction to the news broke along partisan lines in Congress, where Sen Tom Cotton, Republican chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee, praised the decision as “an important step towards returning ODNI to that original size, scope, and mission. And it will help make it a stronger and more effective national security tool for President Trump”.

The panel’s top Democrat, Sen Mark Warner, pledged to carefully review Gabbard’s proposals and “conduct rigorous oversight to ensure any reforms strengthen, not weaken, our national security”.

He said he was not confident that would be the case “given Director Gabbard’s track record of politicising intelligence”.

Gabbard’s efforts to downsize the agency she leads is in keeping with the cost-cutting mandate the administration has employed since its earliest days, when Elon Musk and his Department of Government Efficiency oversaw mass layoffs of the federal workforce.

It’s the latest headline-making move by an official who just a few month ago had seemed out of favour with Trump over her analysis of Iran’s nuclear capabilities but who in recent weeks has emerged as a key loyalist with her latest actions.

Changes to efforts to combat foreign election influence The Foreign Malign Influence Centre was created by the Biden administration in 2022 to respond to what the US intelligence community had assessed as attempts by Russia and other adversaries to interfere with American elections.

Its role, ODNI said when it announced the centre’s creation, was to coordinate and integrate intelligence pertaining to malign influence. The office in the past has joined forces with other federal agencies to debunk and alert the public to foreign disinformation intended to influence US voters.

For example, it was involved in an effort to raise awareness about a Russian video that falsely depicted mail-in ballots being destroyed in Pennsylvania that circulated widely on social media in the weeks before the 2024 presidential election.

Gabbard said Wednesday she would be refocusing the centre’s priorities, asserting it had a “hyper-focus” on work tied to elections and that it was “used by the previous administration to justify the suppression of free speech and to censor political opposition.” Its core functions, she said, will be merged into other operations.

About the Author

authorimg
News Desk

The News Desk is a team of passionate editors and writers who break and analyse the most important events unfolding in India and abroad. From live updates to exclusive reports to in-depth explainers, the Desk d…Read More

The News Desk is a team of passionate editors and writers who break and analyse the most important events unfolding in India and abroad. From live updates to exclusive reports to in-depth explainers, the Desk d… Read More

News world Tulsi Gabbard Slashes Intelligence Office Workforce, Downsize Budget By Over $700 Million
Disclaimer: Comments reflect users’ views, not News18’s. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

Loading comments…

Read More

Go to Source

Hot this week

Khamenei Threatens To Send US Warships To ‘Bottom Of Sea’. Which Deadly Weapons Does Iran Have?

The US sends two aircraft carriers near Iran as tensions rise; Iran’s Khamenei threatens to sink the warships. Read More

Pakistan Hits TTP Targets In Airstrikes Across Afghanistan Border, Cites ‘Conclusive Evidence’

Pakistan Minister Attaullah Tarar said that the military conducted “intelligence-based, selective operations” against seven camps belonging to the TTP and its affiliates. Read More

‘Journalism is first draft of history, Wikipedia second’

AI is fast changing the way information is created and shared, but speed and scale don’t necessarily mean credibility. Read More

‘Tu Yaa Main’ bo day 9: Thriller earns only Rs 38 lakhs on Saturday

While ‘Tu Yaa Main,’ starring Adarsh Gourav and Shanaya Kapoor, enjoys a decent online following and a respectable 3-star review from critics, it’s struggling to make an impact at the box office, raking in under Rs 1 crore e Read More

Rebecca Gayheart shares rare family photos honoring Eric Dane

credit-instagram Rebecca Gayheart has opened her heart by posting cherished family photos of Eric Dane with their daughters following his recent passing. Read More

Topics

Khamenei Threatens To Send US Warships To ‘Bottom Of Sea’. Which Deadly Weapons Does Iran Have?

The US sends two aircraft carriers near Iran as tensions rise; Iran’s Khamenei threatens to sink the warships. Read More

Pakistan Hits TTP Targets In Airstrikes Across Afghanistan Border, Cites ‘Conclusive Evidence’

Pakistan Minister Attaullah Tarar said that the military conducted “intelligence-based, selective operations” against seven camps belonging to the TTP and its affiliates. Read More

‘Journalism is first draft of history, Wikipedia second’

AI is fast changing the way information is created and shared, but speed and scale don’t necessarily mean credibility. Read More

‘Tu Yaa Main’ bo day 9: Thriller earns only Rs 38 lakhs on Saturday

While ‘Tu Yaa Main,’ starring Adarsh Gourav and Shanaya Kapoor, enjoys a decent online following and a respectable 3-star review from critics, it’s struggling to make an impact at the box office, raking in under Rs 1 crore e Read More

Rebecca Gayheart shares rare family photos honoring Eric Dane

credit-instagram Rebecca Gayheart has opened her heart by posting cherished family photos of Eric Dane with their daughters following his recent passing. Read More

Jithu Madhavan confirms ‘Suriya 47’ as a ‘Proper Tamil film’

Director Jithu Madhavan confirmed Suriya 47 is a Tamil film, not a Malayalam-style one, with shooting underway. He also addressed ‘Aavesham 2’ sequel talks, stating no final decision is made. Read More

China Developing ‘New Generation’ Nuclear Weapons, Conducted Secret Test, US Official Warns

The overhaul, reportedly including a covert nuclear test in February — is backed by substantial, though undisclosed, financial investment. Read More

Congress, BJP Workers Clash In Telangana’s Kamareddy Over Land Row; Leader’s Car Overturned

BJP Telangana President N Ramchander Rao condemned the incident, calling it political violence. Read More

Related Articles