Thursday, February 19, 2026
16.1 C
New Delhi

Israel Steps Up Gaza City Offensive As Netanyahu Calls For Swift Hamas Defeat

Curated By :

Last Updated:

Israel has announced plans to call up 60,000 reservists in preparation for the expanded military campaign.

font

The renewed assault on Gaza comes amid a new ceasefire proposal from Hamas (AFP)

The renewed assault on Gaza comes amid a new ceasefire proposal from Hamas (AFP)

Israel is ramping up its military efforts to take control of Gaza City, with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu urging a rapid offensive against what he called terrorist strongholds. In a statement issued Wednesday, Netanyahu called for a quick and swift capture of key Hamas positions in Gaza and thanked reservist forces for their participation, which was confirmed earlier in the day by the IDF chief of staff.

Recommended Stories

According to a report by Haaretz, Netanyahu also addressed recent internal disagreements within his government. In a televised interview, he clarified that he does not “intend to build settlements in Gaza,” countering recent remarks by Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich. “Ask me what my finance minister says, I say I disagree with him, and he’s entitled to say his things,” Netanyahu said.

The Israeli military has already begun its offensive into the city. Brigadier General Effie Defrin, a spokesperson for the Israel Defense Forces (IDF), confirmed on Wednesday that “preliminary operations and the first stages of the attack on Gaza City” have begun. He stated that Israeli forces have now reached the outskirts of Gaza City, signaling the beginning of a potentially broader and more intense phase of the war.

Israel has announced plans to call up 60,000 reservists in preparation for the expanded military campaign. According to the Associated Press, troops are currently active in the Zeitoun neighbourhood of Gaza City as well as in Jabaliya, a densely populated refugee camp in the northern part of the Gaza Strip. These areas are reportedly being prepared as launch points for the upcoming offensive, which could begin within days.

The renewed assault on Gaza comes amid a new ceasefire proposal from Hamas. The offer reportedly includes a 60-day truce, the staggered exchange of captives and Palestinian prisoners, and improved humanitarian aid access. Netanyahu, however, reiterated last week that any potential agreement must guarantee “all the hostages are released at once and according to our conditions for ending the war.”

Meanwhile, the humanitarian toll continues to climb. According to Al Jazeera, at least 81 Palestinians were killed in Israeli attacks across Gaza since dawn on Wednesday, including 30 who were reportedly seeking food and aid.

News world Israel Steps Up Gaza City Offensive As Netanyahu Calls For Swift Hamas Defeat
Disclaimer: Comments reflect users’ views, not News18’s. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

Loading comments…

Read More

Go to Source

Hot this week

India should ban social media for U-15: Macron; keep AI child-safe: PM

Prime Minister Narendra Modi along with French President Emmanuel Macron. PM Modi and French President Emmanuel Macron on Thursday spoke on the need to shield children from the harms of AI and social media. Read More

DGCA audited Ajit plane operator VSR, 50 others in 2025: Govt

Ajit Pawar died in a plane crash on Jan 28 MUMBAI: DGCA carried out 51 regulatory audits of non-scheduled operators (aircraft charter companies) in 2025, govt said Thursday, adding that all findings arising from those inspections ha Read More

Released But Not Relieved: Andrew Leaves Police Custody ‘Under Investigation’ In Epstein Files Fallout

The former prince allegedly shared sensitive, non-public government reports with the late convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein Go to Source Read More

Terror, new challenges need all navies to join hands, says Rajnath

Rajnath Singh at ‘MILAN 2026’ Visakhapatnam: Defence minister Rajnath Singh urged global powers to confront fast-evolving, intertwined maritime risks through cooperation rooted in respect and reciprocity, as India opene Read More

Uttarakhand HC scraps appointment of power corp MD

Uttarakhand HC Dehradun: Uttarakhand HC has set aside the appointment of the managing director of Power Transmission Corporation of Uttarakhand Ltd (PTCUL), holding that the mandatory educational qualification under Selection and Ap Read More

Topics

India should ban social media for U-15: Macron; keep AI child-safe: PM

Prime Minister Narendra Modi along with French President Emmanuel Macron. PM Modi and French President Emmanuel Macron on Thursday spoke on the need to shield children from the harms of AI and social media. Read More

DGCA audited Ajit plane operator VSR, 50 others in 2025: Govt

Ajit Pawar died in a plane crash on Jan 28 MUMBAI: DGCA carried out 51 regulatory audits of non-scheduled operators (aircraft charter companies) in 2025, govt said Thursday, adding that all findings arising from those inspections ha Read More

Released But Not Relieved: Andrew Leaves Police Custody ‘Under Investigation’ In Epstein Files Fallout

The former prince allegedly shared sensitive, non-public government reports with the late convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein Go to Source Read More

Terror, new challenges need all navies to join hands, says Rajnath

Rajnath Singh at ‘MILAN 2026’ Visakhapatnam: Defence minister Rajnath Singh urged global powers to confront fast-evolving, intertwined maritime risks through cooperation rooted in respect and reciprocity, as India opene Read More

Uttarakhand HC scraps appointment of power corp MD

Uttarakhand HC Dehradun: Uttarakhand HC has set aside the appointment of the managing director of Power Transmission Corporation of Uttarakhand Ltd (PTCUL), holding that the mandatory educational qualification under Selection and Ap Read More

Shia LaBeouf accused shouting homophobic slurs: Police

In this photo provided by entertainer Jeffrey Damnit, actor Shia LaBeouf is taken into police custody in New Orleans on Tuesday, Feb. 18, 2026, after allegedly hitting multiple people outside a bar. Read More

Kota man arrested for threatening to shoot Rahul, 25 Cong MPs in video posted online

Rahul Gandhi Kota: A man was arrested Thursday in Rajasthan’s Kota for allegedly threatening to shoot leader of opposition Rahul Gandhi and 25 other Congress MPs in a video he posted online, citing their alleged verbal abuse o Read More

Mahua Moitra moves Delhi HC against order denying shared custody of pet

Mahua Moitra NEW DELHI: TMC MP Mahua Moitra moved Delhi high court on Thursday, challenging a district court order refusing to grant her shared custody of a pet Rottweiler called Henry. Read More

Related Articles