Wednesday, February 18, 2026
17.1 C
New Delhi

Hamas Condemns ‘Barbaric Zionist Escalation’ As Israel Launches Ground Offensive In Gaza

Curated By :

Last Updated:

The United Nations has warned that the planned occupation of Gaza City threatens to displace nearly one million people.

Local health officials reported that 101 Palestinians had been killed in Gaza within a 24-hour period (AP)

Local health officials reported that 101 Palestinians had been killed in Gaza within a 24-hour period (AP)

Hamas has released a strongly worded statement against Israel’s latest ground offensive in Gaza on Tuesday, condemning what it called “an unprecedented barbaric Zionist escalation” and framing it as part of “a new chapter in the systematic war of genocide” against Palestinians, reported CNN. The group appealed to the international community, especially Arab and Islamic nations, to intervene and compel Israel to end its military operation.

Amid escalating violence in Gaza, thousands of displaced Palestinians are heading south toward Deir al-Balah, following intensified Israeli military operations and a renewed call for a ceasefire from Hamas. On Tuesday, long convoys of civilians were seen moving along the coastal road, with families crowded onto trucks and carts, hauling whatever belongings they could carry.

Recommended Stories

The mass movement comes after repeated Israeli military warnings urging civilians to vacate Gaza City, where ground operations are now underway. Israel has declared that its ground incursion into the city has officially begun, identifying Gaza City as one of Hamas’s last major operational strongholds in the enclave.

In recent days, Israeli airstrikes have pounded the city’s outskirts, targeting residential blocks and infrastructure. According to reports, several high-rise buildings have been demolished. Along the border, Israeli armoured units have taken position, suggesting that the current phase of the operation is part of a broader and sustained military campaign.

On Tuesday evening, the Israeli Defense Forces provided a rare projection for the offensive’s duration, suggesting the Gaza City operation could take “several months” to complete. “We will act until the war objectives are achieved. We are not limited by time,” said IDF spokesperson Brigadier General Effie Defrin, underlining the protracted nature of the conflict.

As the offensive expands, humanitarian concerns are growing. The United Nations has warned that the planned occupation of Gaza City threatens to displace nearly one million people, many of whom have already been uprooted multiple times since the conflict began.

Local health officials reported that 101 Palestinians had been killed in Gaza within a 24-hour period as of Tuesday, with 86 deaths occurring in the northern part of the strip since midnight. Al-Shifa Hospital, the largest in Gaza City, confirmed 55 fatalities by late afternoon, further straining its limited capacity to manage mass casualties.

Earlier in the day, a UN commission accused Israel of committing acts of genocide, a charge that coincided with the intensification of the ground campaign.

News world Hamas Condemns ‘Barbaric Zionist Escalation’ As Israel Launches Ground Offensive In Gaza
Disclaimer: Comments reflect users’ views, not News18’s. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

Loading comments…

Read More

Go to Source

Hot this week

Rhode Island hockey arena shooting suspect Robert Dorgan wore miniskirts and heels to work, colleagues say

Robert Dorgan, a 56-year-old father of six who went by Roberta, was an electrician at General Dynamics Bath Iron Works in Bath, Maine, where colleagues said he shocked co-workers by turning up in “inappropriate” miniskirts and heels. Read More

Uttarakhand achieves 1 GW solar energy capacity boosting green energy push and local jobs

Representative Image Uttarakhand has crossed a major renewable energy milestone, surpassing 1 gigawatt (GW) of installed solar power capacity. The state’s total installed solar capacity now stands at over 1,027. Read More

Deputy CM Sunetra Pawar will take over as NCP national president on Feb 26: Praful Patel

Sunetra Pawar (PTI image) GONDIA: Maharashtra deputy chief minister Sunetra Pawar will take over as the national president of the NCP on February 26, senior party leader Praful Patel said on Wednesday. Read More

‘No Reason To Believe…’: Russian Foreign Ministry Rejects Trump’s Claim On India’s Oil Purchase

Moscow, Feb 18 (PTI) Russia’s Foreign Ministry on Wednesday said it has “no reason” to believe that India has changed its position on buying Russian oil, which it said is beneficial for both countries and maintains stability in the Read More

Dog Gatecrashes Winter Olympics Race, Crosses Finish Line Alongside Skiers | Watch

After crossing the line, Nazghul wandered through the finish area, briefly approaching athletes as they completed their runs. Read More

Topics

Rhode Island hockey arena shooting suspect Robert Dorgan wore miniskirts and heels to work, colleagues say

Robert Dorgan, a 56-year-old father of six who went by Roberta, was an electrician at General Dynamics Bath Iron Works in Bath, Maine, where colleagues said he shocked co-workers by turning up in “inappropriate” miniskirts and heels. Read More

Uttarakhand achieves 1 GW solar energy capacity boosting green energy push and local jobs

Representative Image Uttarakhand has crossed a major renewable energy milestone, surpassing 1 gigawatt (GW) of installed solar power capacity. The state’s total installed solar capacity now stands at over 1,027. Read More

Deputy CM Sunetra Pawar will take over as NCP national president on Feb 26: Praful Patel

Sunetra Pawar (PTI image) GONDIA: Maharashtra deputy chief minister Sunetra Pawar will take over as the national president of the NCP on February 26, senior party leader Praful Patel said on Wednesday. Read More

‘No Reason To Believe…’: Russian Foreign Ministry Rejects Trump’s Claim On India’s Oil Purchase

Moscow, Feb 18 (PTI) Russia’s Foreign Ministry on Wednesday said it has “no reason” to believe that India has changed its position on buying Russian oil, which it said is beneficial for both countries and maintains stability in the Read More

Dog Gatecrashes Winter Olympics Race, Crosses Finish Line Alongside Skiers | Watch

After crossing the line, Nazghul wandered through the finish area, briefly approaching athletes as they completed their runs. Read More

Ramadan 2026: First Roza Rituals, Sehri, Iftar And Taraweeh In India

Ramadan 2026 begins February 19 in India. Learn First Roza rituals, sehri, iftar, Taraweeh prayers, and Ramadan Mubarak wishes to share with family and friends. Read More

Lured with Thailand jobs, trapped in Myanmar: NIA charges 3 people in cyber trafficking racket

NEW DELHI: The National Investigation Agency (NIA) on Wednesday filed charges against three accused persons, including an absconding suspected Chinese national, in a human trafficking and cyber fraud racket, operated by Indian and f Read More

Ennio Capasa launches new brand, debuts with footwear

Ennio Capasa is launching Capasa Milano Shoes as a women’s footwear label for Autumn/Winter 2026, with production undertaken in partnership with shoemaker Peron and distribution handled by the Spazio Coltri showroom. Read More

Related Articles