Last Updated:
TV Journalists Association complained to Manoj Jarange about misconduct by supporters at Azad Maidan.

Activist Manoj Jarange Patil during his indefinite hunger strike demanding Maratha reservation, at Azad Maidan, in Mumbai. (PTI photo)
Maratha Quota Protest: The TV Journalists Association has filed a complaint with Maratha quota activist Manoj Jarange regarding allegations of misconduct and misbehaviour by his supporters towards women reporters at Mumbai’s Azad Maidan.
The journalists’ body has warned that if such incidents continued, the media would boycott the coverage of the agitation.
Recommended Stories
In a letter addressed to Jarange, the association said that while journalists had been covering his movement for the past several days, instances of misbehaviour, including attempts to obstruct women journalists from performing their duties, had surfaced. The association urged Jarange to intervene and ensure that the media was not disrespected.
Reacting strongly, BJP MLC and the party’s state women’s wing president, Chitra Wagh, condemned the behaviour, questioning whether those involved could be considered true followers of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj, emphasising the historical reverence for women and the importance of respectful conduct.
“What is this talk that village boys are used to such behaviour? Please do not invoke the names of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj and Mata Jijau, who are revered across the nation. Such conduct and such words are completely unacceptable to them. Jai Jijau, Jai Shivarai, Jai Maharashtra,” she further said.
Mumbai Press Club also condemned the harassment of women journalists and media representatives covering the protest.
While addressing a press conference earlier today, Jarange referred to NCP (SP) MP Supriya Sule being mobbed by slogan-shouting quota supporters after she visited him, as well as journalists being jeered.
He said all those coming to the site must be treated with respect.
Maratha Quota Protest
The Maratha quota protests in Mumbai led by activist Manoj Jarange Patil entered the third day on Sunday, with the activist asserting that he will not leave the city until his demand for reservation to the Maratha community is met.
The activist has hardened his stand by maintaining his demand was constitutionally valid, even as some Maharashtra ministers from the BJP said the community must avail the existing EWS quota.
Meanwhile, Mumbai Police has granted Patil permission to extend his protest at Azad Maidan by one more day.
Patil has been on a hunger strike for the past three days, demanding a 10 per cent reservation for Marathas under the Other Backward Classes (OBC) category. He argues that Marathas share caste links with the agrarian Kunbi community.
Asserting that he will not leave Mumbai till his demands are met, Jarange said, “The government has records of 58 lakh Marathas as Kunbis.”
Jarange, who refused to soften his stand after a delegation under retired HC judge Sandeep Shinde met him a day earlier, on Sunday said, “From tomorrow, I will stop taking water as the government is not accepting the demands. But I am not going back till the quota demand is met. We will get Marathas reservation under the OBC category no matter what.”
(With inputs from PTI)
About the Author

Shobhit Gupta is a sub-editor at News18.com and covers India and International news. He is interested in day to day political affairs in India and geopolitics. He earned his BA Journalism (Hons) degree from Ben…Read More
Shobhit Gupta is a sub-editor at News18.com and covers India and International news. He is interested in day to day political affairs in India and geopolitics. He earned his BA Journalism (Hons) degree from Ben… Read More
Loading comments…
Read More