Sunday, February 22, 2026
18.1 C
New Delhi

US military officials in Ukraine for talks on ending war

Senior Pentagon officials have arrived in Ukraine to “discuss efforts to end the war” with Russia, the US military has said.

The team, led by US Army Secretary Dan Driscoll, is expected to meet Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky in Kyiv on Thursday when he returns from a trip to Turkey.

Reports began surfacing on Wednesday that the US and Russia had prepared a new peace plan, containing major concessions from Ukraine. Neither Washington nor Moscow has officially confirmed the plan.

Earlier in the day, at least 26 people were killed in a Russian missile and drone attack on Ukraine’s western city of Ternopil, officials there said. Russia launched a full-scale invasion of Ukraine in 2022.

“Secretary Driscoll and team arrived this morning in Kyiv on behalf of the administration on a factfinding mission to meet Ukrainian officials and discuss efforts to end the war,” Army spokesman Col David Butler said in a statement.

Driscoll is joined by the US Army’s chief of staff Gen Randy George, top US army commander in Europe Gen Chris Donahue, and Srg Maj of the Army Michael Weimer.

Driscoll and Gen George are the most senior US military officials to hold talks in the Ukrainian capital since President Donald Trump took office in January.

An image on Wednesday showed Driscoll meeting and shaking hands with Ukrainian Defence Minister Denys Shmyhal.

In a post on X afterwards, Shmyhal said: “We focused on the next steps for implementing the historic defence agreements reached by President Zelensky and President Trump”.

He also thanked Washington for “approving the sale of a support package for the PATRIOT air-defence system worth approximately $105m (£80m)”.

Earlier, a Ukrainian official told CBS, the BBC’s US media partner, that talks on the trip would focus on the military situation on the ground – as well as plans for a possible ceasefire.

The official – who was not named – said: “Presidents Zelensky and Trump have already agreed to stop the conflict along the existing lines of engagement, and there are agreements on granting security guarantees”.

It comes as a number of outlets are reporting that the US and Russia have privately drawn up proposals on how to end the war.

Citing people familiar with the matter, Axios, the Financial Times and Reuters reported that the plans call for Kyiv to give up some territories and weapons, as well as to significantly cut Ukraine’s Armed Forces.

Trump’s special envoy Steve Witkoff and Russian leader Vladimir Putin’s envoy Kirill Dmitriev are believed to have been involved in working on the 28-point peace plan.

The BBC has asked the White House and a representative for Witkoff to comment.

Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov appeared to downplay the reports.

“In this case, we have no additional innovations to what we call ‘the spirit of Anchorage’,” he told Russia’s state-run media on Wednesday – referring to the August summit between Putin and Trump in the US state of Alaska.

Any agreements reached during the one-day meeting have not been made public.

President Zelensky has repeatedly ruled out any territorial concessions to Russia.

Kyiv and its Western allies, including the US, have been calling for an immediate ceasefire along the vast front line, but Moscow has ruled that out, repeating demands that Ukraine says amount to its de facto capitulation.

Earlier this month, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said Moscow’s pre-conditions for a peace deal – including ceding territory, tough curbs on the size of Ukraine’s military and the country’s neutrality – had not changed since Putin laid them out two months before the full-scale invasion.

Go to Source

Hot this week

Danish military evacuates US submarine crew amid tensions over Trump’s Greenland takeover push

In a humanitarian gesture amid simmering geopolitical tensions, Denmark’s military evacuated a crew member from a US submarine near Greenland for urgent medical treatment, even as US President Donald Trump’s proposal to send a hospita Read More

Mexico mayhem after El Mencho killed: Leaked message claims cartel threatens violence against civilians, sets deadline

As several states in Mexico erupted in unprecedented chaos as the Jalisco New Generation Cartel, CJNG, retaliated the death of their boss El Mencho, a leaked message claimed that the cartel has ordered its cadre to be prepared for an a Read More

UK MP seeks treason probe into Prince Andrew over Epstein links, govt eyes removal from royal succession

A senior Conservative MP has called for a possible treason investigation into Prince Andrew after his arrest over alleged links with disgraced financier Jeffrey Epstein, as the UK government signalled it is considering removing him fr Read More

Was Trump behind Mexican druglord El Mencho’s death? MAGA ally claims ‘US-supported operation’

A controversial claim has surfaced on social media suggesting that the United States was directly involved in the killing of one of Mexico’s most powerful drug lords, though officials have not confirmed this. Read More

Mexico’s most wanted drug lord ‘El Mencho’ killed in military operation

Nemesio Oseguera Cervantes, known as “El Mencho”, is head of one of Mexico’s most powerful drug cartels. Read More

Topics

Danish military evacuates US submarine crew amid tensions over Trump’s Greenland takeover push

In a humanitarian gesture amid simmering geopolitical tensions, Denmark’s military evacuated a crew member from a US submarine near Greenland for urgent medical treatment, even as US President Donald Trump’s proposal to send a hospita Read More

Mexico mayhem after El Mencho killed: Leaked message claims cartel threatens violence against civilians, sets deadline

As several states in Mexico erupted in unprecedented chaos as the Jalisco New Generation Cartel, CJNG, retaliated the death of their boss El Mencho, a leaked message claimed that the cartel has ordered its cadre to be prepared for an a Read More

UK MP seeks treason probe into Prince Andrew over Epstein links, govt eyes removal from royal succession

A senior Conservative MP has called for a possible treason investigation into Prince Andrew after his arrest over alleged links with disgraced financier Jeffrey Epstein, as the UK government signalled it is considering removing him fr Read More

Was Trump behind Mexican druglord El Mencho’s death? MAGA ally claims ‘US-supported operation’

A controversial claim has surfaced on social media suggesting that the United States was directly involved in the killing of one of Mexico’s most powerful drug lords, though officials have not confirmed this. Read More

Mexico’s most wanted drug lord ‘El Mencho’ killed in military operation

Nemesio Oseguera Cervantes, known as “El Mencho”, is head of one of Mexico’s most powerful drug cartels. Read More

Iran: Nuclear talks withTrump’s envoy to resume this week

Vehicles drive by the Azadi (Freedom) monument in Tehran, Iran (AP Photo) DUBAI: The next round of talks between the United States and Iran will be Thursday in Geneva, Oman’s foreign minister said Sunday, shortly after Tehran& Read More

Who killed Mexican drug lord El Mencho? Air Canada suspends operation in Puerto Vallarta; tourists asked to stay inside resorts

Hours after drug lord Nemesio Rubén Oseguera Cervantes, also known as El Mencho, was killed, massive chaos broke out in several Mexican states. Read More

Related Articles