Monday, February 16, 2026
19.1 C
New Delhi

US carries out ‘massive’ strike against IS in Syria

Jaroslav Lukiv

US Air Force/Reuters A night-time image in which a KC-135 Stratotanker aircraft takes off from a base in the U.S. Central Command area of responsibility in support of Operation Hawkeye Strike, its lights full-beamUS Air Force/Reuters

The US says its military has carried out a “massive strike” against the Islamic State group (IS) in Syria, in response to a deadly attack on American forces in the country.

The US Central Command (Centcom) said fighter jets, attack helicopters and artillery “struck more than 70 targets at multiple locations across central Syria”. Aircraft from Jordan were also involved.

It said the operation “employed more than 100 precision munitions” targeting known IS infrastructure and weapons sites.

President Donald Trump said “we are striking very strongly” against IS strongholds, following the 13 December IS ambush in the city of Palmyra in which two US soldiers and a US civilian interpreter were killed.

In a statement on X, Centcom, which directs American military operations in Europe, Africa and the Indo-Pacific, said Operation Hawkeye Strike was launched at 16:00 Eastern Time (21:00 GMT) on Friday.

Centcom commander Admiral Brad Cooper said that the US “will continue to relentlessly pursue terrorists who seek to harm Americans and our partners across the region”.

US Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth said the operation “is not the beginning of a war – it is a declaration of vengeance.

“If you target Americans – anywhere in the world – you will spend the rest of your brief, anxious life knowing the United States will hunt you, find you, and ruthlessly kill you.

“Today, we hunted and we killed our enemies. Lots of them. And we will continue,” the US defence secretary added.

US Air Force/Reuters A soldier signs a bomb: US Air Force/Reuters

Posting on Truth Social, President Trump said the US “is inflicting very serious retaliation, just as I promised, on the murderous terrorists responsible”.

He said the Syrian government was “fully in support”.

Meanwhile, the UK-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (OBHR) said IS positions near the cities of Raqqa and Deir ez Zor were targeted.

It said that a prominent IS leader and a number of fighters were killed.

IS has not publicly commented. The BBC was unable to verify the targets immediately.

Centcom earlier said that the deadly attack in Palmyra was carried out by an IS gunman, who was “engaged and killed”.

Another three US soldiers were injured in the ambush, with a Pentagon official saying that it happened “in an area where the Syrian president does not have control.”

At the same time, the SOHR said the attacker was a member of the Syrian security forces.

No group has claimed responsibility for the attack, and the identity of the gunman has not been released.

Reuters A US airman attaches a munitions system to an F-15 fighter jet taking part in Operation Hawkeye Strike. Photo: 19 December 2025Reuters

In 2019, a US-backed alliance of Syrian fighters announced IS had lost the last pocket of territory in Syria it controlled, but since then the jihadist group has carried out some attacks.

The United Nations says the group still has between 5,000 and 7,000 fighters in Syria and Iraq.

US troops have maintained a presence in Syria since 2015 to help train other forces as part of a campaign against IS.

Syria has recently joined an international coalition to combat IS and has pledged to co-operate with the US.

In November, Syrian President Ahmed al-Sharaa – a former jihadist leader whose coalition forces toppled Bashar al-Assad’s regime in 2024 – met Trump at the White House, describing his visit as part of a “new era” for the two countries.

Go to Source

Hot this week

Were hundreds of US officials attacked in Cuba? A Norwegian scientist’s experiment revives the Havana syndrome mystery

After decades of frozen diplomacy and political hostility, the United States and Cuba cautiously turned a page. Under US President Barack Obama, diplomatic ties were restored and the US Embassy in Havana reopened. Read More

Siddaramaiah camp to take 27 MLAs abroad ‘to counter DKS push for CLP meeting’

DK Shivakumar (left) and Siddaramaiah BENGALURU: A foreign tour by a bloc of Congress legislators aligned with CM Siddaramaiah has injected volatility into Karnataka politics, sharpening a power struggle with deputy CM DK Shivakum Read More

Navy creates MILAN village in Vizag to welcome naval delegates from 70 countries

Milan village As the country gears up to host the mega International Fleet Review (IFR) and subsequent MILAN Exercise, the Indian Navy has created a MILAN village in the coastal city of Visakhapatnam for the incoming delegates and Read More

Indian coastal authorities ‘seize’ 3 US-sanctioned oil tankers linked to Iran

Photo: File photo of oil vessel Asphalt Star NEW DELHI: Indian coastal authorities reportedly “seized three US-sanctioned tanker ships linked to Iran” earlier this month, a source informed TOI on Monday. Read More

Ameesha Patel breaks silence on cheque bounce case

Ameesha Patel has broken her silence after a Moradabad court issued a non-bailable warrant against her in connection with a 2017 event dispute. Read More

Topics

Were hundreds of US officials attacked in Cuba? A Norwegian scientist’s experiment revives the Havana syndrome mystery

After decades of frozen diplomacy and political hostility, the United States and Cuba cautiously turned a page. Under US President Barack Obama, diplomatic ties were restored and the US Embassy in Havana reopened. Read More

Siddaramaiah camp to take 27 MLAs abroad ‘to counter DKS push for CLP meeting’

DK Shivakumar (left) and Siddaramaiah BENGALURU: A foreign tour by a bloc of Congress legislators aligned with CM Siddaramaiah has injected volatility into Karnataka politics, sharpening a power struggle with deputy CM DK Shivakum Read More

Navy creates MILAN village in Vizag to welcome naval delegates from 70 countries

Milan village As the country gears up to host the mega International Fleet Review (IFR) and subsequent MILAN Exercise, the Indian Navy has created a MILAN village in the coastal city of Visakhapatnam for the incoming delegates and Read More

Indian coastal authorities ‘seize’ 3 US-sanctioned oil tankers linked to Iran

Photo: File photo of oil vessel Asphalt Star NEW DELHI: Indian coastal authorities reportedly “seized three US-sanctioned tanker ships linked to Iran” earlier this month, a source informed TOI on Monday. Read More

Ameesha Patel breaks silence on cheque bounce case

Ameesha Patel has broken her silence after a Moradabad court issued a non-bailable warrant against her in connection with a 2017 event dispute. Read More

Norwegian scientist suffers brain damage after testing secret microwave device on himself to disprove ‘Havana Syndrome’: Report

A scientist in Norway gave himself brain damage after he tested a secret weapon on himself to disprove the existence of Havana Syndrome, it emerged. Read More

UK resident Gurpreet Randhawa jailed for assaulting minors, threatened victims into sending indecent images

A 21‑year‑old man from Wolverhampton, UK has been jailed for 18 years for a series of sex offences against children involving two 15‑year‑old girls and a 12‑year‑old girl, police said. Read More

Three US-Sanctioned Tankers Seized Off Mumbai Coast This Month: Report

Indian authorities seized three ships near Mumbai, boosting maritime surveillance. Two vessels linked to Iran had complex ownership and identity changes. Read More

Related Articles