Friday, February 20, 2026
24.1 C
New Delhi

Trump claims US oil firms could be ‘up and running’ in Venezuela within 18 months

Kayla Epstein

Getty Images President Donald Trump confirms a US military operation in Venezuela during a press conference on 3 JanuaryGetty Images

President Donald Trump says the US oil industry could be “up and running” with increased operations in Venezuela within 18 months, after a surprise military operation removed President Nicolás Maduro from power.

Trump told NBC News that “a tremendous amount of money will have to be spent, and the oil companies will spend it, and the oil companies will spend it, and then they’ll get reimbursed by us or through revenue”.

Representatives from major US petroleum companies planned to meet the Trump administration later this week, BBC’s partner CBS News reported.

Analysts previously told the BBC it could take tens of billions of dollars, and potentially a decade, to restore Venezuela’s former output.

Trump’s remarks came days after he said the US would “run” Venezuela after the ousting of Maduro – who has now been brought to the US to face criminal charges.

Speaking to NBC about his 18-month timeframe, Trump speculated that oil production could ramp up “in less time than that, but it’ll be a lot of money”.

He has been explicit for about his ambitions for American petroleum companies to scale up their operations in the country.

“Having a Venezuela that’s an oil producer is good for the United States because it keeps the price of oil down,” Trump added.

The analysts who previously spoke to the BBC were sceptical that Trump’s plans would have a major impact on the global supply – and therefore price – of oil. They suggested that firms would look for reassurance that a stable government was in place, and even when they did invest, their projects would not deliver for years.

Trump has claimed in recent days that American oil companies can fix Venezuela’s oil infrastructure.

The country has an estimated 303m barrels, the world’s largest produces reserve. But it produces just a fraction of that amount, and its production has been in decline since the early 2000s.

The Trump administration sees significant potential for its own energy prospects in Venezuela’s reserves.

Increasing the country’s production of oil would be expensive for US firms. Additionally, Venezuelan oil is heavy and more difficult to refine. There is only one US firm, Chevron, currently working in the country.

Asked for comment about Trump’s plans for US oil production in Venezuela, Chevron spokesman Bill Turenne said the company “remains focused on the safety and wellbeing of our employees, as well as the integrity of our assets”.

“We continue to operate in full compliance with all relevant laws and regulations,” Turenne added.

Other major US energy companies Exxon and ConocoPhillips did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Map of Venezuela showing major oil infrastructure. Red shaded areas indicate oil fields, concentrated around Lake Maracaibo in the northwest and the Orinoco Belt in the east-central region. Red lines represent main oil pipelines connecting these fields to ports and other facilities. Key locations labeled include Maracaibo, Caracas, and Puerto José. Neighbouring countries Colombia, Brazil, and Guyana are shown in grey, and the Caribbean Sea is labelled along the northern coast. A small inset map at the top right shows Venezuela’s position at the north of South America.

While justifying the seizure of Maduro from Caracas, Trump also claimed that Venezuela “unilaterally seized and stole American oil”.

Vice President JD Vance echoed those claims on X after Maduro was taken, writing that “Venezuela expropriated American oil property and until recently used that stolen property to get rich and fund their narcoterrorist activities”.

The reality is more complex. Energy law experts told BBC Verify that oil found in Venezuela was owned by the government.

“Petroleum companies have a right to extract it and commercialise it under a license/concession agreement,” explained Ignacio Herrera Anchustegui from the University of Bergen in Norway.

Venezuela nationalised its oil industry in 1976. In 2007, under the presidency of Hugo Chavez, Venezuela exerted more state control over the remaining foreign-owned assets of US oil firms operating in the country.

BBC Verify contributed to this report

Go to Source

Hot this week

‘False prophet of our time’: Iran’s exiled prince Reza Pahlavi slams Khamenei’s ‘illegitimate’ regime; urges Shias to ‘reclaim faith’

Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei and exiled prince Reza Pahlavi Iran’s exiled prince Reza Pahlavi has mounted a forceful and deeply personal attack on Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei, accusing Iran’s clerical establishment of betray Read More

First known extortion cases surface in Vancouver, 4 under probe

Vancouver has reported its first known extortion cases, with police investigating four files involving threats of violence against residents and business owners for money. Read More

Iran to present draft nuclear deal in next 2-3 days, says US has not demanded halt to enrichment

Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said Washington has not asked Tehran to end uranium enrichment, and that Iran will soon present a draft of a potential nuclear agreement to the US following recent talks Go to Source Read More

‘Traitor Rahul’: BJP protests Congress’s shirt-off disruption at AI event

BJP youth wing protesting outside Rahul Gandhi’s house. Read More

Man Allegedly Kills Sister In UP’s Sambhal Over Inter-Community Relationship; Father Defends Son

Preliminary investigation revealed that the woman was in a relationship with a man from another community Go to Source Read More

Topics

‘False prophet of our time’: Iran’s exiled prince Reza Pahlavi slams Khamenei’s ‘illegitimate’ regime; urges Shias to ‘reclaim faith’

Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei and exiled prince Reza Pahlavi Iran’s exiled prince Reza Pahlavi has mounted a forceful and deeply personal attack on Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei, accusing Iran’s clerical establishment of betray Read More

First known extortion cases surface in Vancouver, 4 under probe

Vancouver has reported its first known extortion cases, with police investigating four files involving threats of violence against residents and business owners for money. Read More

Iran to present draft nuclear deal in next 2-3 days, says US has not demanded halt to enrichment

Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said Washington has not asked Tehran to end uranium enrichment, and that Iran will soon present a draft of a potential nuclear agreement to the US following recent talks Go to Source Read More

‘Traitor Rahul’: BJP protests Congress’s shirt-off disruption at AI event

BJP youth wing protesting outside Rahul Gandhi’s house. Read More

Man Allegedly Kills Sister In UP’s Sambhal Over Inter-Community Relationship; Father Defends Son

Preliminary investigation revealed that the woman was in a relationship with a man from another community Go to Source Read More

Rahul Chahar Confirms Divorce From Ishani Johar After 15-Month Court Battle

In a deeply personal social media update, Indian leg-spinner Rahul Chahar has officially confirmed his separation from his wife, Ishani Johar. Read More

Mysterious death of Asos co-founder Quentin Griffiths in Thailand: Fell from 17th floor balcony

58-year-old Quentin Griffiths, co-founder of online fashion retailer Asos, died after mysteriously falling from the 17th floor balconyt of an apartment building in Pattaya, Thailand. Read More

Kristi Noem’s ICE seeks approval to buy $70 million luxury jet for deportations, cabinet travel: Report

US Immigration and Customs Enforcement was looking to purchase a luxury $70 million jet fitted with a bedroom, showers, and a bar, saying it was needed for Cabinet officials’ travel and deporting migrants, according to a report. Read More

Related Articles