Saturday, May 23, 2026
33.1 C
New Delhi

‘The bombing has been insane’: Gaza City Palestinians scramble to flee Israeli assault

Thousands of families are attempting to flee Gaza City as the Israeli military confirms it has begun ground operations that are part of its large-scale assault aimed at occupying the city.

Lina al-Maghrebi, 32, a mother of three from the city’s Sheikh Radwan neighbourhood told the BBC she had resisted leaving her home – despite the danger – until she received a phone call from an Israeli officer ordering her to evacuate.

“I was forced to sell my jewellery to cover the cost of displacement and a tent,” she said. “It took us ten hours to reach Khan Younis, and we paid 3,500 shekels (£735) for the ride. The line of cars and trucks seemed endless.”

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said a “powerful operation” had been launched in Gaza City, which he described as Hamas’s last major stronghold.

The Israeli military has designated al-Rashid coastal road as the only permitted route for civilians to use to evacuate. Many have described severe congestion, endless queues of cars and trucks, and long delays, with families stranded on the roadside while airstrikes continue overhead.

Nivin Imad al-Din, 38, a mother of five, said she fled south after Israeli warplanes dropped evacuation leaflets in her neighbourhood, though her husband refused to leave their home.

“I couldn’t take my furniture with me because I couldn’t afford the cost of a large truck,” she explained. “Leaving everything behind was the hardest decision I’ve ever made.”

The cost of displacement has surged far beyond the reach of most households. Residents said renting a small truck now costs around 3,000 shekels (£630), while a tent for five people sells for about 4,000 shekels (£840). With most families deprived of income since the war began, some are forced to walk for miles or remain in their homes despite the risks.

Overnight into Tuesday, Israeli warplanes carried out a wave of heavy airstrikes across Gaza City, with concentrated bombardment on the central al-Daraj neighbourhood, the Beach refugee camp in the west, and Sheikh Radwan in the north.

The attacks were accompanied by artillery fire, drone fire and helicopter gunship activity.

The Israel Defense Forces said it was “gradually” moving into Gaza City as part of the “next phase” of its offensive.

It said air and ground forces would be part of this next stage of the military’s operation, with the number of troops increasing day-by-day.

Residents described the overnight strikes as “hell”.

Ghazi al-Aloul, a displaced resident from northern Gaza, told the BBC he is now sleeping at the entrance of al-Quds Hospital in Tel al-Hawa, southwest Gaza.

“I did not choose this,” he said. “I was forced after leaving the home where my family and I had been sheltering for nearly a month after fleeing the north”.

“The bombardment has been insane for hours, and the army is threatening to demolish several residential buildings in the area.”

Sami Abu Dalal, from al-Daraj in central Gaza, described the night as “extremely difficult”.

“Whole residential blocks were levelled on top of their inhabitants, leaving many dead, missing, or injured,” he said.

He said Israel was advancing on three fronts – and was accompanied by the use of booby-trapped vehicles, intense airstrikes, and heavy shelling. Meanwhile, Apache helicopters hovered over different parts of the city, firing continuously.

Israel’s ramped up offensive comes as a United Nations commission of inquiry have released a report that says Israel is committing genocide against Palestinians in Gaza – Israel categorically rejected the report.

Go to Source

Hot this week

‘Hello Greenland’: Trump reignites his Arctic ambition with bizarre photo

US President Donald Trump on Friday reignited his ambition to take over Greenland after he shared a bizarre AI-generated image of himself overlooking the Arctic region. Read More

Forget Bean Bags And Free Snacks: Gen Z Wants Flexibility, Not Office Gimmicks

India’s Gen Z workforce is prioritising flexible work, career growth and work-life balance over bean bags, gaming rooms and office perks, according to a new Randstad India report. Read More

Centre turns on West Bengal funds tap after Suvendu Adhikari’s Delhi visit

Suvendu Adhikari KOLKATA: Opening its purse strings for Bengal following chief minister Suvendu Adhikari’s maiden visit to New Delhi after assuming office on May 9, the Centre on Friday agreed to release Rs 39,000 crore for schemes Read More

Delhi HC slams WFI for calling Vinesh Phogat Olympic exit national shame

Vinesh Phogat NEW DELHI: Delhi high court Friday slammed Wrestling Federation of India (WFI) for claiming that wrestler Vinesh Phogat’s Olympic 2024 disqualification was a “national shame”. Read More

India’s Hottest City Disables Traffic Signals During Afternoon As Temperature Crosses 46°C

Banda district administration provides umbrellas, scarves and shelters to the traffic police personnel deployed on roads. Read More

Topics

‘Hello Greenland’: Trump reignites his Arctic ambition with bizarre photo

US President Donald Trump on Friday reignited his ambition to take over Greenland after he shared a bizarre AI-generated image of himself overlooking the Arctic region. Read More

Forget Bean Bags And Free Snacks: Gen Z Wants Flexibility, Not Office Gimmicks

India’s Gen Z workforce is prioritising flexible work, career growth and work-life balance over bean bags, gaming rooms and office perks, according to a new Randstad India report. Read More

Centre turns on West Bengal funds tap after Suvendu Adhikari’s Delhi visit

Suvendu Adhikari KOLKATA: Opening its purse strings for Bengal following chief minister Suvendu Adhikari’s maiden visit to New Delhi after assuming office on May 9, the Centre on Friday agreed to release Rs 39,000 crore for schemes Read More

Delhi HC slams WFI for calling Vinesh Phogat Olympic exit national shame

Vinesh Phogat NEW DELHI: Delhi high court Friday slammed Wrestling Federation of India (WFI) for claiming that wrestler Vinesh Phogat’s Olympic 2024 disqualification was a “national shame”. Read More

India’s Hottest City Disables Traffic Signals During Afternoon As Temperature Crosses 46°C

Banda district administration provides umbrellas, scarves and shelters to the traffic police personnel deployed on roads. Read More

‘Lost Access’: Cockroach Janta Party Founder Abhijeet Dipke Claims His Instagram Account Has Been Hacked

The Cockroach Janta Party was founded by Abhijeet Dipke, a Boston-based former social media campaign worker associated with the Aam Aadmi Party during 2020 Delhi Assembly polls. Read More

IMD Sounds Severe Heatwave Alarm Across India Till May 28 As Temperatures Soar To 48°C | Check Forecast

The Indian Meteorological Department (IMD) has issued a warning, saying heatwave to severe heatwave conditions are likely to prevail across various regions till May 28 Go to Source Read More

‘Toffees, Reels And Rising Prices’: Manish Sisodia’s Dig At PM Modi Over Fuel Price Hike

AAPs Manish Sisodia slams Prime Minister Narendra Modi as petrol, diesel and CNG prices are hiked for the third time in 10 days, fuelling inflation and transport cost concerns Go to Source Read More

Related Articles