Sunday, May 24, 2026
30.1 C
New Delhi

Teens launch High Court challenge to Australia’s social media ban

Australia’s landmark social media ban for children is being challenged in the nation’s highest court, with two teenagers alleging the law is unconstitutional as it robs them of their right to free communication.

From 10 December, social media firms – including Meta, TikTok and YouTube – must ensure that Australians aged under 16 cannot hold accounts on their platforms.

The law, which is being watched closely around the world, was justified by campaigners and the government as necessary to protect children from harmful content and algorithms.

However, 15-year-olds Noah Jones and Macy Neyland – backed by a rights group – will argue the ban completely disregards the rights of children.

“We shouldn’t be silenced. It’s like Orwell’s book 1984, and that scares me,” Macy Neyland said in a statement.

After news of the case broke, Communications Minister Anika Wells told parliament the government would not be swayed.

“We will not be intimidated by threats. We will not be intimidated by legal challenges. We will not be intimidated by big tech. On behalf of Australian parents, we will stand firm,” she said.

The Digital Freedom Project (DFP) announced the case had been filed in the High Court on Wednesday. Teenagers rely on social media for information and association, and a ban could hurt the nation’s most vulnerable kids – young people with disability, First Nations youth, rural and remote kids and LGBTIQ+ teenagers – the most, the group said on their website.

Led by a New South Wales parliamentarian, John Ruddick, DFP said their challenge would hinge on the ban’s impact on political communication, and whether it was proportional to the law’s aims.

Other measures to improve online safety should be used instead, the group argued, pointing to digital literacy programmes, the forced introduction of age-appropriate features for platforms, and age assurance technologies which have greater privacy protections.

Noah Jones argued the government’s policy was “lazy”. “We are the true digital natives and we want to remain educated, robust, and savvy in our digital world… They should protect kids with safeguards, not silence.”

Australian media have previously reported that Google, which owns YouTube, has also been considering launching a constitutional challenge.

Though opposed by the tech companies who will be charged with enforcing it, the ban is supported by most Australian adults, according to polls. However, some mental health advocates say it may cut kids off from connection, and others say it could push youngsters to even-less-regulated corners of the internet.

Go to Source

Hot this week

Iran shifts World Cup training base from USA to Mexico; Iranian FA chief reveals reason: ‘Distance between us and…’

Iran ​has faced ⁠uncertainty for months over travel and security arrangements for the World Cup, which will be co-hosted by ​the United States, Canada and Mexico. Read More

Aaj Ka Panchang, May 24, 2026: Tithi, Vrat, Muhurat And Rahu Kaal Today

Aaj Ka Panchang, May 24, 2026: Get accurate details on today’s Hindu calendar including tithi, vrat, nakshatra, yoga, sunrise/sunset timings, and shubh and ashubh muhurat. Read More

‘Drishyam 3’ races past Rs 100 crore worldwide

FB Mohanlal’s latest thriller ‘Drishyam 3’ has achieved a major box office milestone within its opening weekend. The Malayalam film crossed the Rs 100 crore mark worldwide in just three days. Read More

Crime thrillers on Netflix to add to your watch list

This series is about the case of JonBenét, the 6-year-old who had disappeared from her home a day after Christmas in 1996. Later on, her father, Jon, found her murdered body in the basement of their own home. Read More

‘He got arrogant’: Magnus Carlsen slammed for stepping away from World Championship cycle

Former world champion has criticised Magnus Carlsen for stepping away from the World Chess Championship cycle, calling it arrogance and saying the Norwegian star made a mistake after dominating classical chess for years. Read More

Topics

Iran shifts World Cup training base from USA to Mexico; Iranian FA chief reveals reason: ‘Distance between us and…’

Iran ​has faced ⁠uncertainty for months over travel and security arrangements for the World Cup, which will be co-hosted by ​the United States, Canada and Mexico. Read More

Aaj Ka Panchang, May 24, 2026: Tithi, Vrat, Muhurat And Rahu Kaal Today

Aaj Ka Panchang, May 24, 2026: Get accurate details on today’s Hindu calendar including tithi, vrat, nakshatra, yoga, sunrise/sunset timings, and shubh and ashubh muhurat. Read More

‘Drishyam 3’ races past Rs 100 crore worldwide

FB Mohanlal’s latest thriller ‘Drishyam 3’ has achieved a major box office milestone within its opening weekend. The Malayalam film crossed the Rs 100 crore mark worldwide in just three days. Read More

Crime thrillers on Netflix to add to your watch list

This series is about the case of JonBenét, the 6-year-old who had disappeared from her home a day after Christmas in 1996. Later on, her father, Jon, found her murdered body in the basement of their own home. Read More

‘He got arrogant’: Magnus Carlsen slammed for stepping away from World Championship cycle

Former world champion has criticised Magnus Carlsen for stepping away from the World Chess Championship cycle, calling it arrogance and saying the Norwegian star made a mistake after dominating classical chess for years. Read More

White House gunfire scare: Footage shows journalists running for shelter

Tension gripped the White House complex on Sunday after series of gunfire were heard near the presidential compound, forcing journalists to rush into secure shelter areas while heavily armed law enforcement personnel sealed off parts Read More

SpaceX’s Starship flight hits most targets in pre-IPO test

STARBASE: SpaceX completed a largely successful test flight of its next-generation Starship rocket on Friday, deploying a clutch of mock satellites and executing a controlled splashdown in the Indian Ocean in a high-stakes debut of th Read More

Two people shot in Secret Service gun encounter near the White House, suspect taken to hospital

Two people were shot during an encounter with Secret Service near the White House on Saturday, sparking concerns about the safety of US President Donald Trump. Read More

Related Articles