Thursday, May 21, 2026
32.1 C
New Delhi

Israeli military says first stages of assault on Gaza City have begun

The Israeli military says it has begun the “preliminary actions” of a planned ground offensive to capture and occupy all of Gaza City and already has a hold on its outskirts.

A military spokesman said troops were already operating in the Zeitoun and Jabalia areas to lay the groundwork for the offensive, which Defence Minister Israel Katz approved on Tuesday and which will be put to the security cabinet later this week.

About 60,000 reservists are being called up for the beginning of September to free up active-duty personnel for the operation.

Hundreds of thousands of Palestinians in Gaza City are expected to be ordered to evacuate and head to shelters in southern Gaza.

Many of Israel’s allies have condemned the plan, with French President Emmanuel Macron warning on Wednesday that it “can only lead to disaster for both peoples and risks plunging the entire region into a cycle of permanent war”.

The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) meanwhile said further displacement and an intensification of hostilities “risk worsening an already catastrophic situation” for Gaza’s 2.1 million population.

Israel’s government announced its intention to conquer the entire Gaza Strip after indirect talks with Hamas on a ceasefire and hostage release deal broke down last month.

Speaking at a televised briefing on Wednesday, Israel Defense Forces (IDF) spokesperson Brigadier General Effie Defrin said Hamas was “battered and bruised” after 22 months of war.

“We will deepen the damage to Hamas in Gaza City, a stronghold of governmental and military terror for the terrorist organisation,” he added. “We will deepen the damage to the terror infrastructure above and below the ground and sever the population’s dependence on Hamas.”

But Defrin said the IDF was “not waiting” to begin the operation.

“We have begun the preliminary actions, and already now, IDF troops are holding the outskirts of Gaza City.”

Two brigades were operating on the ground in the Zeitoun neighbourhood, where in recent days they had located an underground tunnel that contained weapons, and a third brigade was operating in the Jabalia area, he added.

In order to “minimise harm to civilians,” he said, Gaza City’s civilian population would be warned to evacuate for their safety.

A spokesman for Gaza’s Hamas-run Civil Defence agency, Mahmoud Bassal, told AFP news agency on Tuesday that the situation was “very dangerous and unbearable” in the city’s Zeitoun and Sabra neighbourhoods.

The agency reported that Israeli strikes and fire had killed 25 people across the territory on Wednesday. They included three children and their parents whose home in the Badr area of Shati refugee camp, west of Gaza City, was bombed, it said.

Defrin also said the IDF was also doing everything possible to prevent harm to the 50 hostages still being held by Hamas in Gaza, 20 of whom are believed to be alive. Their families have expressed fears that those in Gaza City could be endangered by a ground offensive.

The ICRC warned of a catastrophic situation for both Palestinian civilians and the hostages if military activity in Gaza intensified.

“After months of relentless hostilities and repeated displacement, the people in Gaza are utterly exhausted. What they need is not more pressure, but relief. Not more fear, but a chance to breathe. They must have access to the essentials to live in dignity: food, medical and hygiene supplies, clean water, and safe shelter,” a statement said.

“Any further intensification of military operations will only deepen the suffering, tear more families apart, and threaten an irreversible humanitarian crisis. The lives of hostages may also be put at risk,” it added.

It called for an immediate ceasefire and the rapid and unimpeded passage of humanitarian assistance across Gaza.

Mediators Qatar and Egypt are trying to secure a ceasefire deal and have presented a new proposal for a 60-day truce and the release of around half of the hostages, which Hamas said it had accepted on Monday.

Israel has not yet submitted a formal response, but Israeli officials insisted on Tuesday that they would no longer accept a partial deal and demanded a comprehensive one that would see all the hostages released.

The Israeli military launched a campaign in Gaza in response to the Hamas-led attack on southern Israel on 7 October 2023, in which about 1,200 people were killed and 251 others were taken hostage.

At least 62,122 people have been killed in Gaza since then, according to the territory’s health ministry. The ministry’s figures are quoted by the UN and others as the most reliable source of statistics available on casualties.

Go to Source

Hot this week

DR Congo will still come to United States for World Cup despite Ebola outbreak, but fans cannot

Over 130 deaths have been confirmed after a deadly ebola outbreak in DR Congo with US putting in travel restrictions for visitors. However, players for FIFA World Cup will be exempted from travel ban. Read More

US arm twists Palestinian Authority to drop bid for UN vice-presidency role

United States has ordered its Jerusalem embassy to press the Palestinian leadership to withdraw its bid for the vice presidency role at the UN General Assembly. Read More

F-35A Lightning II, A-10: US Lost Or Damaged 42 Military Aircraft In Iran War

The list of damaged or destroyed aircraft includes four F-15E Strike Eagle fighter jets, one F-35A Lightning II aircraft and one A-10 Thunderbolt II attack aircraft. Read More

Mouni Roy Turns Heads At Cannes 2026 In Stunning Patola And Midnight Blue Gowns

Mouni Roy makes a glamorous appearance at Cannes 2026 in a handcrafted Patola-inspired gown and a dramatic midnight blue Chopard look Go to Source Author: News18 Read More

GK: Which City Is Known As The Tea City Of India?

Discover the Indian city that powers the country’s world-famous tea industry and serves as the gateway to endless emerald plantations. Read More

Topics

DR Congo will still come to United States for World Cup despite Ebola outbreak, but fans cannot

Over 130 deaths have been confirmed after a deadly ebola outbreak in DR Congo with US putting in travel restrictions for visitors. However, players for FIFA World Cup will be exempted from travel ban. Read More

US arm twists Palestinian Authority to drop bid for UN vice-presidency role

United States has ordered its Jerusalem embassy to press the Palestinian leadership to withdraw its bid for the vice presidency role at the UN General Assembly. Read More

F-35A Lightning II, A-10: US Lost Or Damaged 42 Military Aircraft In Iran War

The list of damaged or destroyed aircraft includes four F-15E Strike Eagle fighter jets, one F-35A Lightning II aircraft and one A-10 Thunderbolt II attack aircraft. Read More

Mouni Roy Turns Heads At Cannes 2026 In Stunning Patola And Midnight Blue Gowns

Mouni Roy makes a glamorous appearance at Cannes 2026 in a handcrafted Patola-inspired gown and a dramatic midnight blue Chopard look Go to Source Author: News18 Read More

GK: Which City Is Known As The Tea City Of India?

Discover the Indian city that powers the country’s world-famous tea industry and serves as the gateway to endless emerald plantations. Read More

‘Bombs its own people’: India slams Pakistan at UNSC, flags ‘long-tainted record of genocidal acts’

Harish Parvathaneni (Image/PTI) NEW DELHI: India has strongly criticised Pakistan at the United Nations Security Council (UNSC), accusing it of a long record of violence against civilians and citing recent incidents in Afghanistan li Read More

India’s Permanent Representative to UN calls for protection of civilians during conflict

India’s Permanent Representative to UN calls for protection of civilians during conflict NEW YORK: Ambassador Harish Parvathaneni, Permanent Representative of India to the UN, noted that protecting civilians, including during Read More

Falta repolling: Voting begins in West Bengal’s high-stakes seat amid tight security

PTI photo NEW DELHI: Repolling in West Bengal’s Falta assembly constituency began on Thursday amid tight security, as the seat in South 24 Parganas district emerged as a political flashpoint between the ruling BJP and the ouste Read More

Related Articles