Sunday, February 22, 2026
18.1 C
New Delhi

Israeli forces near Gaza City centre as Hamas reportedly prepares for street-to-street fighting

Israeli forces have neared the centre of Gaza City, as Hamas fighters reportedly regroup amid fears of intense street-to-street fighting.

Thousands of Palestinians have been forced to flee the city since Israel launched its ground offensive last week.

Israel describes the city as the “last stronghold” of Hamas and says its aim is to “eliminate terrorists” and rescue its 48 remaining hostages, 20 of whom are thought to be alive.

The BBC has verified footage of an Israeli tank at Hamid Junction, around 1.5km (0.9 miles) from the central al-Shifa hospital. Israeli armoured vehicles were also reportedly seen close to the main UN compound in southern Gaza City, about 700m (2297ft) from the centre.

The BBC has spoken to a Hamas figure who claims the militant group is willing to call thousands of fighters into the city, raising the fear of intense fighting in dense urban areas where thousands of civilians remain.

He said that Izz al-Din al-Haddad, the group’s military commander, has ordered all available fighters across the Strip to converge on the city, telling them to prepare for a “final, decisive battle”.

The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) estimated last week that up to 3,000 Hamas fighters were in the city. The Hamas figure claimed they had 5,000 fighters and threatened suicide attacks, though that has not been a tactic Hamas has used widely in this recent conflict. The BBC cannot independently verify these figures and Hamas has not officially commented.

International journalists have been banned by Israel from entering the Gaza Strip independently since the start of the war nearly two years ago, making verifying claims from both sides difficult. Some journalists have been taken into Gaza by the IDF under controlled access.

Israel has been trying to destroy the tunnels in Gaza to stop the militants using them for surprise attacks. But the Hamas militant claimed that some remained intact and that the group had learned from Israel’s successes in destroying militant units that have attempted to hold ground in a fight.

Before he was killed by Israel, the group’s previous military chief, Mohammed Deif, issued orders that the militant group should adopt a move towards guerrilla tactics and ambushes to mitigate their catastrophic losses.

According to residents in Gaza City, Israel has reacted to this by conducting rapid thrusts into urban areas, before pulling back within hours.

The Israeli media has also reported that the IDF has used damaged armoured vehicles, packed with explosives, and fitted with remote control capabilities, to attack Hamas positions or destroy buildings being used to hide fighters.

Small quadcopter drones equipped with loudspeakers have also been deployed by Israel to warn civilians to leave, spreading panic in several districts.

Thousands of Palestinian families have continued to flee south along the coastal al-Rashid road, the only route currently permitted by the Israeli military. The UN estimated on Tuesday that at least 321,000 people have fled south since mid-August. The IDF puts the total figure at 640,000.

The journey has become prohibitively expensive, with families paying more than $3,000 (£2,450) for transport, far beyond the means of most Gaza residents. Many have been forced to abandon belongings they could not carry on foot.

Those remaining in Gaza City – thought to be hundreds of thousands – face the constant threat of bombardment, collapsing hospitals and dwindling food and water. A UN-backed agency confirmed a famine in the area in late August.

The Israeli military launched a campaign in Gaza in response to the Hamas-led attack on southern Israel on 7 October 2023, in which about 1,200 people were killed and 251 others were taken hostage.

At least 65,419 people have been killed in Israeli attacks in Gaza since then, according to the territory’s Hamas-run health ministry.

Go to Source

Hot this week

Report on Davos deals soon, 15 bills to be passed in House: CM

Mumbai: CM Devendra Fadnavis on Sunday said the state govt will present a detailed report on the Rs 30-lakh crore MoUs signed at World Economic Forum in Davos last month as well as the status of past deals. Read More

Revised CAFE-3 draft tightens norms, may hit small car makers

. NEW DELHI: Manufacturers of small cars may face greater regulatory challenges if the revised draft of CAFE-3, which proposes to improve vehicle fuel efficiency and reduce carbon emissions, is implemented. Read More

BAFTA Film Awards 2026 Live Updates

The British Academy of Film and Television Arts Film Awards, is underway in London, with some of the biggest and brightest talents under one roof, warming up before they take their shot at winning gold at the Oscars next month. Read More

BAFTAs 2026: ‘One Battle After Another’ sweeps six awards

Politically charged thriller “One Battle After Another” took six prizes, including best picture, at the British Academy Film Awards on Sunday, building momentum ahead of the Oscars next month. Read More

Danish military evacuates US submarine crew amid tensions over Trump’s Greenland takeover push

In a humanitarian gesture amid simmering geopolitical tensions, Denmark’s military evacuated a crew member from a US submarine near Greenland for urgent medical treatment, even as US President Donald Trump’s proposal to send a hospita Read More

Topics

Report on Davos deals soon, 15 bills to be passed in House: CM

Mumbai: CM Devendra Fadnavis on Sunday said the state govt will present a detailed report on the Rs 30-lakh crore MoUs signed at World Economic Forum in Davos last month as well as the status of past deals. Read More

Revised CAFE-3 draft tightens norms, may hit small car makers

. NEW DELHI: Manufacturers of small cars may face greater regulatory challenges if the revised draft of CAFE-3, which proposes to improve vehicle fuel efficiency and reduce carbon emissions, is implemented. Read More

BAFTA Film Awards 2026 Live Updates

The British Academy of Film and Television Arts Film Awards, is underway in London, with some of the biggest and brightest talents under one roof, warming up before they take their shot at winning gold at the Oscars next month. Read More

BAFTAs 2026: ‘One Battle After Another’ sweeps six awards

Politically charged thriller “One Battle After Another” took six prizes, including best picture, at the British Academy Film Awards on Sunday, building momentum ahead of the Oscars next month. Read More

Danish military evacuates US submarine crew amid tensions over Trump’s Greenland takeover push

In a humanitarian gesture amid simmering geopolitical tensions, Denmark’s military evacuated a crew member from a US submarine near Greenland for urgent medical treatment, even as US President Donald Trump’s proposal to send a hospita Read More

Mexico mayhem after El Mencho killed: Leaked message claims cartel threatens violence against civilians, sets deadline

As several states in Mexico erupted in unprecedented chaos as the Jalisco New Generation Cartel, CJNG, retaliated the death of their boss El Mencho, a leaked message claimed that the cartel has ordered its cadre to be prepared for an a Read More

UK MP seeks treason probe into Prince Andrew over Epstein links, govt eyes removal from royal succession

A senior Conservative MP has called for a possible treason investigation into Prince Andrew after his arrest over alleged links with disgraced financier Jeffrey Epstein, as the UK government signalled it is considering removing him fr Read More

Was Trump behind Mexican druglord El Mencho’s death? MAGA ally claims ‘US-supported operation’

A controversial claim has surfaced on social media suggesting that the United States was directly involved in the killing of one of Mexico’s most powerful drug lords, though officials have not confirmed this. Read More

Related Articles