Sunday, November 30, 2025
23.1 C
New Delhi

Israel launches air strikes in Gaza accusing Hamas of ‘bold violation of ceasefire’

Frank GardnerBBC Security Correspondent, Jerusalem and

Paulin Kola

Getty Images Various people walking along in Gaza, mainly away from the camera, with huge piles of debris in the background.Getty Images

Israel has launched air strikes in southern Gaza, accusing Hamas of attacks in a “bold violation of the ceasefire”.

A military official said Hamas had carried out “multiple attacks against Israeli forces beyond the yellow line” – which they say is the area Israeli troops have withdrawn to in accordance with phase one of the US-brokered deal.

Hamas said it was committed to the ceasefire and accused Israel of breaking it several times.

The deal – part President Donald Trump’s plan to end the Gaza war – came into force on 10 October. The first phase of the agreement currently under way has seen the release of all living hostages as well as the return to Israel of 12 out of 28 of those deceased.

For its part, Israel has freed 250 Palestinian prisoners in its jails and 1,718 detainees from Gaza, as well as returning 15 bodies of Palestinians in return for every Israeli hostage’s remains.

The Israeli military launched a campaign in Gaza in response to the 7 October 2023 attack, in which Hamas-led gunmen killed about 1,200 people in southern Israel and took 251 others hostage.

At least 68,000 people have been killed by Israeli attacks in Gaza since then, according to the Hamas-run health ministry, whose figures are seen by the UN as reliable.

The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) has not issued a statement on the recent flare-up, but an official said Hamas’s attacks included “an RPG [rocket-propelled grenade] shot at a military force, and a sniper fire against a military force”.

“Both of the incidents happened in an Israeli controlled area, east to the yellow line,” said the official, without giving exact locations.

The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) still occupy and control just over 50% of the Gaza Strip, having withdrawn to the agreed yellow line.

Hamas, which has ruled the territory for 18 years, is facing a challenge from armed groups, such as Abu Shabab’s Popular Forces, gangs which it says are being armed and supported by Israel.

It has recalled about 7,000 members of its security forces to reassert control in Gaza, according to local sources.

Under the Trump 20-point ceasefire, Hamas is supposed to relinquish its weapons so that it no longer poses a threat to Israel.

Hamas has accused Israel of funding and arming rival gangs that it says have looted aid trucks. It says Israel is deliberately empowering criminal gangs so as to challenge Hamas’s authority and foment chaos.

Without the presence of a robust international force in Gaza there is a real risk of further internecine fighting between Palestinian factions.

More on the Israel-Gaza war

The attacks in Rafah came hours after the US said it had “credible reports” that Hamas was planning an “imminent” attack on civilians in Gaza, which, it said, would be a “direct and grave” violation of the ceasefire agreement.

A planned attack against Palestinians would “undermine the significant progress achieved through mediation efforts”, the state department said.

The statement did not not provide further details.

Hamas has strongly denied any planned imminent attack.

The state department said it had already informed other guarantors of the Gaza peace agreement – which include Egypt, Qatar and Turkey – and demanded Hamas uphold its end of the ceasefire terms.

“Should Hamas proceed with this attack, measures will be taken to protect the people of Gaza and preserve the integrity of the ceasefire,” the US statement said.

The ceasefire agreement also states that regional partners will ensure that “Hamas, and the factions, comply with their obligations and that New Gaza poses no threat to its neighbours or its people”.

Therefore, any instances or evidence of armed action by either Hamas or other factions in Gaza would be considered a violation of the ceasefire.

President Donald Trump has previously warned Hamas against the killing of civilians.

“If Hamas continues to kill people in Gaza, which was not the Deal, we will have no choice but to go in and kill them,” Trump said in a post on Truth Social earlier this week.

He later clarified that he would not be sending US troops into Gaza.

Last week, BBC Verify authenticated graphic videos that showed a public execution carried out by Hamas gunmen in Gaza.

Fierce clashes erupted a week ago – involving Hamas security forces and armed members of the Dughmush family in Gaza City.

Twenty-seven people were killed in what was one of the most violent internal confrontations since the end of major Israeli operations in the enclave.

Go to Source

Hot this week

Switzerland to decide on nationwide civic service, climate tax for ultra-rich

Under Switzerland’s direct democratic system, 100,000 signatures are needed to put virtually any issue to a popular vote, with the Swiss given a say on a wide range of topics every few months at the national, regional and local levels Go to S Read More

‘With Beetroot…’: Jasmine Bhasin Reveals 3-Ingredient DIY Mask To Reduce Pigmentation

Jasmine Bhasin swears by simple and effective home remedies to achieve a natural instant glow with an inexpensive DIY face mask. Read More

2025 Tamil box office hits that turned big profits

‘Tourist Family’, made on a budget of 7 crores, surprisingly collected 90 crores and became the biggest ROI hit of the year. Read More

Nayanthara’s Beauty Secret Is Eating Local, Seasonal Food For Flawless Skin, Hair

Nayanthara’s secret to flawless skin, healthy hair, and overall well-being lies in eating local, regional food. Read More

Delhi Blast Probe: NIA Arrests Two Rampur-Origin Maulvis From Haldwani And Nainital

The NIA has detained two Rampur-origin maulvis from Haldwani and Nainital as the Delhi blast investigation deepens. Read More

Topics

Switzerland to decide on nationwide civic service, climate tax for ultra-rich

Under Switzerland’s direct democratic system, 100,000 signatures are needed to put virtually any issue to a popular vote, with the Swiss given a say on a wide range of topics every few months at the national, regional and local levels Go to S Read More

‘With Beetroot…’: Jasmine Bhasin Reveals 3-Ingredient DIY Mask To Reduce Pigmentation

Jasmine Bhasin swears by simple and effective home remedies to achieve a natural instant glow with an inexpensive DIY face mask. Read More

2025 Tamil box office hits that turned big profits

‘Tourist Family’, made on a budget of 7 crores, surprisingly collected 90 crores and became the biggest ROI hit of the year. Read More

Nayanthara’s Beauty Secret Is Eating Local, Seasonal Food For Flawless Skin, Hair

Nayanthara’s secret to flawless skin, healthy hair, and overall well-being lies in eating local, regional food. Read More

Delhi Blast Probe: NIA Arrests Two Rampur-Origin Maulvis From Haldwani And Nainital

The NIA has detained two Rampur-origin maulvis from Haldwani and Nainital as the Delhi blast investigation deepens. Read More

Austrian beauty influencer found dead in a suitcase – Report

Pic Credit: ANI TRIGGER WARNING: This article contains mention of death.In a tragic and horrifyingly shocking turn of events, an Austrian influencer has been found dead, stuffed in a suitcase and buried in the woods. Read More

Rohit Sharma Breaks World Record For Most Sixes In ODIs

Rohit Sharma has now hit the most sixes in One Day Internationals (ODIs) than any other player in history.  He achieved this feat in the first India vs South Africa ODI, being played at the JSCA International Stadium Complex in Ranchi. Read More

Rohit Sharma Smashes 60th ODI Fifty In IND vs SA Clash

Show Quick Read Key points generated by AI, verified by newsroom The last time Rohit Sharma played for India, he scored an unbeaten 121 against Australia in Sydney. Read More

Related Articles